The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Durham College Allocation Thread (for 2015 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by michaeljackson97
I understand your dilemma! I feel i have no choice but to go as I hated my first experience at Durham and i'm hoping that this trip will change my mind! Wow, Durham has one of the best Geography Departments in the world, right?

That's fair enough! How come you hated it? It's is a very strong geography department :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Mumsknowbest
Hope you don't mind me asking but can you elaborate on why you hated your first experience at Durham? My son has an offer to study engineering at University College (Castle) My daughter also completed a Geography degree at Durham a few years ago and loved every minute of the 3 year course.

I'm older than you I bet, and I'm about to go to Chads for Physics. can't wait... no negatives here!!
Original post by game well and truly over
I'm older than you I bet, and I'm about to go to Chads for Physics. can't wait... no negatives here!!
Not sure if you're older than me or not! Was just wondering why michaeljackson97 hated his or her first experience at Durham.
Original post by Mumsknowbest
Not sure if you're older than me or not! Was just wondering why michaeljackson97 hated his or her first experience at Durham.

Well my first experience was an open day. My family and I had an awful day. The staff/students were unhelpful and lacked knowledge of the event, we were given many wrong directions and it was freezing cold and rainy which didn't help. The common room seemed uninviting and run down, and compared with universities such as Warwick and Durham, the accommodation and facilities seemed to be in a different league unfortunately. I'm hoping that this was just a one off bad day, as one of my peers visited on the same day as me with her heart set on Durham and it actually put her off applying altogether.
Well my first experience was an open day. My family and I had an awful day. The staff/students were unhelpful and lacked knowledge of the event, we were given many wrong directions and it was freezing cold and rainy which didn't help. The common room seemed uninviting and run down, and compared with universities such as Warwick and Durham, the accommodation and facilities seemed to be in a different league unfortunately. I'm hoping that this was just a one off bad day, as one of my peers visited on the same day as me with her heart set on Durham and it actually put her off applying altogether.
Certainly not the Open Day that I went to last year, as it was a wonderful sunny day.
Original post by Sapphire321
Is anyone here who has been allocated to St Chad's going to the Monday/Tuesday residential open day? :smile:

I will be :smile:

I had the same experience as you, September open day last year? However I have been advised not to base my opinion on Durham on the open day at all but on the offer holder days instead, as these are college specific and therefore much better (hopefully!)
Original post by hwilliams97
I had the same experience as you, September open day last year? However I have been advised not to base my opinion on Durham on the open day at all but on the offer holder days instead, as these are college specific and therefore much better (hopefully!)

Yes it was September! I agree, hopefully the offer holder day will completely change my outlook! Which college have you been allocated to?
Yes it was September! I agree, hopefully the offer holder day will completely change my outlook! Which college have you been allocated to?

Yeah that was a rubbish open day haha. I've been allocated to Chad's :smile: how about you?
Yeah that was a rubbish open day haha. I've been allocated to Chad's :smile: how about you?

Haha, oh nice, i've been allocated to Josephine Butler - still debating between Durham and Warwick :frown:
Haha, oh nice, i've been allocated to Josephine Butler - still debating between Durham and Warwick :frown:

I'm the same between Durham and Exeter- where I am currently visiting- but I'm definitely leaning towards Durham.
anyone at St Cuths doing sport, exercise and PA?
Is anyone here who has been allocated to St Chad's going to the Monday/Tuesday residential open day? :smile:

I'm going to that one :smile: What course are you going for?

Yup!

Although only going for the Tuesday and my subject talk and stuff is nearly all day! Hopefully I'll be able to look around Chads before I leave.
Original post by helenaf
I found out today I've been accepted by Castle as well :smile: what subject?

Physics and Astronomy, you? :smile:
I've been allocated to Grey. Who else here has?
Reply 376

Yes, I am! :smile: What subject have you got an offer for? :biggrin:
Original post by paarkerpenn
I'm the same, was super keen on arch and anth, especially when I was considering (momentarily) Oxford, but was put off my how few unis offered it. I'm quite happy I've been given the referral opportunity!
I think it's all very confusing. I'm sure once you receive a decision from Durham it'll will become a lot clearer. There is so much to consider at the moment, feel like I' changing my mind every two seconds!
I'm fearing getting dumped in the worse ones as its a referral, sort of similar to Ox/Cam pooling systems ):

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any news for you?
I will be :smile:

What course are you going for? :smile:
Original post by rust&stardust
I'm going to that one :smile: What course are you going for?

I'm going for Biochemistry. :smile: You?

Quick Reply

Latest