I've been offered a place already :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh :colondollar: Have fun then! :biggrin:
Original post by Oakflame
Ooh :colondollar: Have fun then! :biggrin:

Haha thanks!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilyutsah
Hi don't know if this is a but late but wondered if it's worth me looking to apply (I'm year 12)

GCSE : 4A* 7A
Predicted AS levels: AAAA
AS Levels: English literature, art, economics, history
Course: English Literature
College: Magdalen

My teacher has said I could achieve an A* in lit by the end of the year. However economics is weak for me and feel I may get a B (or want to drop it at the end of AS)

Any guidance would be great!

Your GCSE's are below average, but not to the point where I'd tell you not to apply/think you don't still have a chance.

Ideally you want your teachers to predict you the highest grades possible. So an A* prediction in English Lit would be helpful. Likewise in history. I would advise against dropping economics at the end of AS as having Art as a third subject may not go down fantastically well. As a 4th subject totally fine, not as one of just three. Keeping all 4 going if at all possible may be worth considering.

The entrance test is quite important and a good performance in it would overcome the GCSE's. In light of that I would begin preparing for it in plenty of time and seek the advise of your teachers in regards to doing so.
Original post by jenkinsear
Your GCSE's are below average, but not to the point where I'd tell you not to apply/think you don't still have a chance.

Ideally you want your teachers to predict you the highest grades possible. So an A* prediction in English Lit would be helpful. Likewise in history. I would advise against dropping economics at the end of AS as having Art as a third subject may not go down fantastically well. As a 4th subject totally fine, not as one of just three. Keeping all 4 going if at all possible may be worth considering.

The entrance test is quite important and a good performance in it would overcome the GCSE's. In light of that I would begin preparing for it in plenty of time and seek the advise of your teachers in regards to doing so.

Someone in my year got in for Classics and English at Magdalen with Art as one of their 3 A-Levels
Original post by Lucilou101
Someone in my year got in for Classics and English at Magdalen with Art as one of their 3 A-Levels

I completely accept it's possible and happens, but realistically some tutors will not look on it favourably. I have heard tutors express views that it isn't an academic subject (in a negative way...) and that it's unsuitable. As with all things, views on it vary between individuals but I don't think it's necessarily the wisest course of action.

I had Art as a 5th Alevel back in the day and the College decided to exclude it from my offer. Read into that what you will.

Edit: Also since when were you a mod?! Am I due for a ban soon? :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
I completely accept it's possible and happens, but realistically some tutors will not look on it favourably. I have heard tutors express views that it isn't an academic subject (in a negative way...) and that it's unsuitable. As with all things, views on it vary between individuals but I don't think it's necessarily the wisest course of action.

I had Art as a 5th Alevel back in the day and the College decided to exclude it from my offer. Read into that what you will.

Edit: Also since when were you a mod?! Am I due for a ban soon? :wink:

I agree - I just thought the information was relevant seeing as it involves the English tutors at Magdalen and that's the subject/college in question.

Only about a month! Became modded around Oxford/Cambridge decision days

Fine Art A-level is fine for English Literature applicants.
GCSE grades: 4 A*'s, 4 A's, 1 B, 1 C
A-Levels: History, English Lit, Philosophy, RE, French
Course: History
College: Unsure! Thinking about Queen's.

Hope my chances aren't totally hopeless, I'm predicted AAAAA at the end of the year at least...
Original post by antisansculotte
GCSE grades: 4 A*'s, 4 A's, 1 B, 1 C
A-Levels: History, English Lit, Philosophy, RE, French
Course: History
College: Unsure! Thinking about Queen's.

Hope my chances aren't totally hopeless, I'm predicted AAAAA at the end of the year at least...

Do well in the HAT with solid AS results/Alevel predictions and I don't see why you can't get an interview.
Do well in the HAT with solid AS results/Alevel predictions and I don't see why you can't get an interview.

I'd certainly hope I can get that far. I've planning on entering the history essay competitions at St Hilda's and St Hugh's, and I've already entered the poetry Christopher Tower competition at Christ Church. I may enter the philosophy essay competition at St Peter's or Oriel too, just for fun.

I also do volunteering for my local National Trust property, and I'd say a pretty heavy amount of additional reading.

Do you think any of this strengthens my application considerably? Sorry to bombard at midnight on a Friday...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by antisansculotte
I'd certainly hope I can get that far. I've planning on entering the history essay competitions at St Hilda's and St Hugh's, and I've already entered the poetry Christopher Tower competition at Christ Church. I may enter the philosophy essay competition at St Peter's or Oriel too, just for fun.

I also do volunteering for my local National Trust property, and I'd say a pretty heavy amount of additional reading.

Do you think any of this strengthens my application considerably? Sorry to bombard at midnight on a Friday...

They are all positives, but in the schemes of things extra curriculars are not as essential for Oxford as I think people often think. They are always welcome, there's no harm in doing them, but ultimately your grades, interview and admissions test performance are what overwhelmingly matter.

The extra reading will stand you in good stead.
GCSE grades: 3A*, 4A, 3B

A-Levels: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Computing (hoping for AAAA at AS and A*A*AA at alevel)

Course: Mathematics (surprise surprise
:tongue:)

College: i don't know/mind, Oxford is Oxford after all

My Bs at GCSE were in history, technology and english. As these subjects are unrelated to Mathematics would they overlook them? Those Bs are my main worry because I really want to go to Oxford and I feel they may make me seem like a weak candidate compared to others! :frown:
Original post by DylanJ42
GCSE grades: 3A*, 4A, 3B

A-Levels: Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Computing (hoping for AAAA at AS and A*A*AA at alevel)

Course: Mathematics (surprise surprise
:tongue:)

College: i don't know/mind, Oxford is Oxford after all

My Bs at GCSE were in history, technology and english. As these subjects are unrelated to Mathematics would they overlook them? Those Bs are my main worry because I really want to go to Oxford and I feel they may make me seem like a weak candidate compared to others! :frown:

Your GCSEs are fine. They're going to care much more about your MAT performance.
Original post by Noble.
Your GCSEs are fine. They're going to care much more about your MAT performance.

thats really great to hear :biggrin: I plan to try my very best in every exam from now on to give myself the best chance to get in! At GCSE I did under perform a little :frown:
GCSE grades: 8A*s, 3As, 1B
International baccalaureate: HL chemistry, biology and geography. SL maths, English and French ab intio.
Course: Chemistry
College: St John's
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey!

A Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and History

GCSE Grades: 12 A*s

Hoping to study... Maths & Computer Science :biggrin:

College: Not 100% but like St Annes and St Catz
Original post by DylanJ42
thats really great to hear :biggrin: I plan to try my very best in every exam from now on to give myself the best chance to get in! At GCSE I did under perform a little :frown:

Yeah just focus on your AS for now and if they are good enough you can move on in year 13 to start focusing on your aptitude test

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE: 6A*s 3As 3Bs
A-Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Geography, French (intending to drop French if everything goes to plan)

Course: Biological Sciences

College: Don't really know yet, but I like Hertford, Magdalen and Jesus :smile:

I think I did really under-perform at GCSEs in terms of science subjects- Biology-A, Chemistry-A(2 UMS off an A*), Maths(1 off an A :'( ), ICT and Physics all Bs. All my arts subjects were A*s, but I think that just shows I have a more creative than logical mindset, yet I truly love biology. Will the B in maths be really detrimental if I choose to apply?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 299
Feeling a bit silly with my grades right now compared to everyone else but:
GCSE grades: 5 As, 4 Bs and 1 C
A-Levels: English Lit, Philosophy, Government & Politics, Psychology
Course: English
College: Balliol

Also aiming for 3 As at AS, currently on track :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending