The Student Room Group

Any guys identify as feminists on here?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abstraction
I don't see how they do not have this already in the West.

Generally they do. I would accept they lose out in some areas, and that some antiquated cultures remain in some sectors. However, I disagree with feminism's account for why this is, and I disagree with their proposed solutions.
Original post by kiki37
I only made an account on here a few days ago and I'm a bit shocked at how some guys just seem so sexist. It seems so subtle and common on here, sometimes not so subtle with one forum I read being called something like "what is wrong with girls". It's actually kind of upset me a bit, I had more faith in our generation.

Thankyou
Original post by kiki37
That is literally what a feminist is.

lel nah.
globally yes- In the UK/ western world-not so much. I support the key principles of feminism but parts of it have gone too far (e.g being pinched on the ass is sexual assault) and the twitter activism is a bit tiring. Feminist need to look outside of there (somewhat depleted) list of issues at home and campaign for real issues of gender equality on a global scale including and end to FGM and rights for women in the developing (and eastern) world.
I'm a feminist but radicals disgust me.
Reply 25
Original post by limetang
That's not what my universities feminist society were doing when they held a women's only event.

Oh, well, I'm sorry about that! Feminism is just wanting equality and men should be equally involved! These people don't seem like feminists to me. Girls aren't better than boys, we should all work together towards equality.
Reply 26
Same here! Radicality is never really pleasant in any case
Reply 27
Original post by anarchism101
I call myself a pro-feminist rather than a feminist. Partly because of the whole "feminism is a women's movement" thing, but also because I don't really do any feminist-related activism or suchlike.

I don't really do anything other than spread my opinions. You can call yourself a feminist even if you're a guy. We're all in this together :-) just because it's called FEMinism doesn't mean guys should be excluded. Just like MANkind includes women.
Reply 28
Original post by KingStannis
No it isn't. You can believe in equality without accepting feminist theory. You can't be a feminist without accepting some form of feminist theory.

Feminism is more sensibly defined as "a set of theories and actions pertaining to the attempt to gain gender equality for women".

This definition takes into account the actual beliefs feminism holds.

The definition "feminism is the gender equality between men and women" is an abstract definition which may or may not hold for feminist activities and beliefs. I am of the opinion that, as a matter of fact, feminist academia and organisations posit statements which are not true, and actions which are not equitable. If I accept your definition, I am left with the argument that "feminism (as it is in reality) is not feminism (as it is by definition)". However, this is ridiculous. There is no point accepting a definition of something which does not accurately reflect the object of reference.

Feminism MOSTLY works towards equality for women because it's needed most. Societies have been patriarchal for years, it's only been some decades that women have had some kind of power. And think of all the female-related issues worldwide. Forced marriage, FGM etc. And rape culture which is EVERYWHERE! Females literally have to take safety precautions with everything, it's ridiculous. Of course I'm aware this may never change because there will always be psychos in the world. But at the same time, feminists care for men's rights too, and the rights of transgenders. There's different sectors of feminism, this is the sector I belong to. And I know a lot of others do.
There's give and take with regards to idiocy concerning how the "other gender" behaves. OMG, so many threads on here are so ridiculous.

Like, do girls really masturbate?

Do guys actually get infatuated by girls or do they just **** anything that walks emotionlessly and not give a **** about romance?

It's ridiculous...
No because they stopped my one and only Dapper Laughs

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not a feminist; I'm a gender equalist.

Original post by Abstraction
Just briefly, what exactly do you believe the genders should be equal in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In opportunity for any and all employment sector which they do not have physical limits to doing.

You know I used to hold this position, before I realised that it's a flawed one. Demanding equality in all employment requires a large government to artificially regulate who goes where, what percentage of women work in certain jobs, etc. It's not down to sexism that the social care industries like nursing and such are dominated by women or that engineering is dominated by men.

Now, if you mean that you want everyone to have equal opportunities, well you hit the liberal talking point of demanding 100% inheritance tax and that we all start, as individuals, from the same level. All equal start, equal opportunity, to achieve. Now, if some have superior family structures and higher inherited wealth compared to others, where's your equality now?

It just does not exist. Nor should it, if you value your freedom.
I am happy to call myself a feminist in regard to the way women are treated in 'third world' or 'less developed countries'. However modern feminism or 'third wave feminism' in the U.K is just nonsense and often involves girls victimizing themselves for no good reason.

I have so many successful female friends, colleagues and family members who have achieved such great things and are independent strong women. These women haven't even mentioned feminism they just get on with it! Yet I find feminists more than ever want to blame something or someone else for their failings. The reason they didn't get that job was because women are not equal or underrepresented in the workplace etc. Whereas real women just get on with it and lead lives as successful and fulfilling and often more successful and fulfilling than many men with no complaint.
Reply 33
Original post by PostgradMatt
I am happy to call myself a feminist in regard to the way women are treated in 'third world' or 'less developed countries'. However modern feminism or 'third wave feminism' in the U.K is just nonsense and often involves girls victimizing themselves for no good reason.

I have so many successful female friends, colleagues and family members who have achieved such great things and are independent strong women. These women haven't even mentioned feminism they just get on with it! Yet I find feminists more than ever want to blame something or someone else for their failings. The reason they didn't get that job was because women are not equal or underrepresented in the workplace etc. Whereas real women just get on with it and lead lives as successful and fulfilling and often more successful and fulfilling than many men with no complaint.

As a female I've never felt that there's stuff that I can't do, and for a while this is why I didn't identify as feminist. But then I realised it isn't all about me. And sometimes society views females in a weird way. Like men can **** around but a girl's "body count" is sooo important. Sexism is very much alive in the UK(as proven by TSR) and the point of being a feminist is disagreeing with that, and believing that both genders are deserving of equal respect.
Original post by kiki37
rape culture which is EVERYWHERE!

Do we also have a murder culture? What about a theft culture?
Original post by kiki37
But then I realised it isn't all about me. And sometimes society views females in a weird way. Like men can **** around but a girl's "body count" is sooo important.

What do you mean by this?
What do you mean by this?

She means that because Africa needs feminism, the West should also need it... Even though we don't need it, Africa needs it, even though it didn't benefit the West... We need it more because Africa needs it. I don't see advocates for feminism in those countries, but plenty in the West lobbying for feminist policies within our own borders, none of which support Africa or other non-feminist countries.

... I think that's what she means.
Original post by HigherMinion
She means that because Africa needs feminism, the West should also need it... Even though we don't need it, Africa needs it, even though it didn't benefit the West... We need it more because Africa needs it. I don't see advocates for feminism in those countries, but plenty in the West lobbying for feminist policies within our own borders, none of which support Africa or other non-feminist countries.

... I think that's what she means.

This is a valid point, I wonder if its because in this country we have the freedom to express our opinions (so long as they are not extreme), with no punishment or consequences. Yet in the developing world this is not so much the case.
This is a valid point, I wonder if its because in this country we have the freedom to express our opinions (so long as they are not extreme), with no punishment or consequences. Yet in the developing world this is not so much the case.

We have no such freedom then. Those countries will grow organically on their own; we're not here to support other continents of people.
"feminism" is a "dirty word" to many people, because it should be - the name itself in a modern western context puts emphasis on women and not "gender". we don't call racial egalitarians "blackists", do we? why do we call gender-egalitarians "feminists", then? it's literally that stupid - something's got to change, because the term itself is sexist.

Spoiler

in 2015, when men and women are, by law, equals, what left could "feminism" do other than make women superior? oh yeah, that's exactly the plan for most of them today - if their fundamental narrative behind their movement (other than equality) is the belief in patriarchy, which is the doctrine that men are controlling them, how can they exact to be taken seriously with an ideology which promotes the value that men are oppressing them? that's such a sexist concept and I'm amazed that it's allowed to exist so openly without scrutiny.

feminists - you guys (women) aren't unequal, so stop pretending to be, because you're making girls think you guys are necessary - it's like snake oil. it's a lie based upon a scam.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply