The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5820
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude, I am ahmadi. I'm no dupe what's your problem?Clearly you need to do psychology and computing studies, since you have no idea or concept of what a troll is.

And I thought people shouldn't make rash,hasty and poor judgements.

ok sorry bro yesterday got caugt up in dupe drama. its just that u post alot in exmuslim more than here but sorry again brother kadak
Original post by gohz
ok sorry bro yesterday got caugt up in dupe drama. its just that u post alot in exmuslim more than here but sorry again brother kadak

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its because I'm good friends with Ghost and the others,I'm not actually a ex muslim.Sorry if my response was out of line.
Original post by Ankabout
Nevermind then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you get such good A level results?
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you get such good A level results?

Hardwork and practice. For Maths, I took extra tuition. Solving past papers is a must. :smile:
Hardwork and practice. For Maths, I took extra tuition. Solving past papers is a must. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

At this stage of the year,is it still possible to get an A*?
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

You're doing A2?
Original post by binarythoughts
You're doing A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AS. I meanies it possible to get 90 percent and above (A* grade level).
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

AS. I meanies it possible to get 90 percent and above (A* grade level).

Oh, alright
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know. :smile: I did my A'levels back in 2006 so a lot may have changed... I can't predict if getting A* grades is possible in a few months time now... Definitely not if you leave studying at the last month lol (unless you're one of those super genius kids).
Original post by Mary562
Peace be with you brother

Peace and blessings be on you too sister :smile:

So do shias mostly think that Imam Mahdi (Al-Mahdi) will be the one to kill the Anti-Chirst? I realise that the difference between shias and sunni Muslims is that shias believe that the Mahdi will be the one who will kill the Anti-Christ whereas for sunni Muslims Jesus will play a very important role and that he will kill the Anti-Christ.

For shia Muslims, Jesus pbuh will also reappear and will have an extremely important role. I'll check the claims you have made with a scholar and get back to you.

I’ve checked and there are no Hadiths about the Mahdi in Sahih Bukhari.

Even in the ahle sunnah, it is not entirely necessary for a hadith to be in Bukhari and Muslim. You see, there was a polemic, political, social background to these hadiths and their compilations. Unlike the Quran, hadiths were very much prone to politics, and the Arabs definitely had this i.e the Banu Abbas r.a's rivalry with the Banu Hashim, corrupt political regimes, many fabricated hadiths to glorify certain personalities being circulated for pure polemics and politics.

For example, the only hadith we see in Sahih Bukhari or Muslim or Tirmidhi, or in fact the other three in the sihah al sitta, when Muhammed pbuh says "I leave for you my Quran and X" it is indeed not "Quran and Sunnah", but "Quran and Ahlulbayt".

"Someday (after his last pilgrimage) the Messenger of Allah (S) stood to give us a speech beside a pond which is known as Khum (Ghadir Khum) which is located between Mecca and Medina. Then he praised Allah and reminded Him, and then said: "O’ people! Behold! It seems the time approached when I shall be called away (by Allah) and I shall answer that call. Behold! I am leaving for you two precious things. First of them is the book of Allah in which there is light and guidance...The other one is my Ahlul-Bayt. I remind you in the name of Allah about my Ahlul-Bayt. I remind you in the name of Allah about my Ahlul-Bayt. I remind you in the name of Allah about my Ahlul-Bayt. (three times)."

Sahih Muslim, Chapter of the virtues of the companions, section of the virtues of ‘Ali, 1980 Edition Pub. in Saudi Arabia, Arabic version, v 4, p1873, Tradition #36.

We find many Hadiths which document Imam Mahdi a.s through many sources among the sihah al sitta:

The Prophet (S) said: "Even if the entire duration of the world’s existence has already been exhausted and only one day is left (before the day of judgment), Allah will expand that day to such a length of time, as to accommodate the kingdom of a person from my Ahlul-Bayt who will be called by my name. He will fill out the earth with peace and justice as it will have been full of injustice and tyranny (by then)."
Sahih al-Tirmidhi, v2, p86, v9, pp 74-7
Sunan Abu Dawud, v2, p7
Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v1, pp 84,376; V3, p63
al-Mustadrak ala al-Sahihayn, by al-Hakim, v4, p557

The Prophet (S) said: "al-Mahdi is one of us, the members of the household (Ahlul-Bayt)."
Sunni reference: Sunan Ibn Majah, v2, Tradition #4085

Abu Nadra reported: We were with the company of Jabir Ibn Abdillah... Jabir Ibn Abdillah kept quite for a while and then reported Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) having said: "There would be a Caliph in the last (period) of my Ummah who would freely give handfuls of wealth to the people without counting it.”I said to Abu Nadra and Abu al-Ala: Do you mean Umar Ibn Abd al-Aziz? They said: NO, (he would be Imam Mahdi).
Sahih Muslim, English version, v4, chapter MCCV, p1508, Tradition #6961
Sahih Muslim, Arabic version, Kitab al-Fitan, v4, p2234, Tradition #67

Infact, Jesus Christ (pbuh) will even pray behind Imam Mahdi a.s

"Jabir Ibn Abdillah al-Ansari (ra) said: I heard the Messenger of Allah saying: "A group of my Ummah will fight for the truth until near the day of judgment when Jesus, the son of Marry, will descend, and the leader of them will ask him to lead the prayer, but Jesus declines, saying: "No, Verily, among you Allah has made leaders for others and He has bestowed his bounty upon them."
Sahih Muslim, Arabic, part 2, p193
Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, v3, pp 45,384

Jazak Allahu Khayran for clearing this up because I do believe some shias don’t cut themselves. In my country some do and some do not. Those who don’t in Afghanistan give blood instead.

Globally, the vast majority of shias do not cut themselves. It is only a very small minority. It isn't an act which some do and some don't, rather, only a small minority still imbued in cultural acts.

Our scholars(the majority of them) have spoken out against such acts.

Ayatullah Khomeini:

“In his name, the Most High. Do not perform blood matam or the likes in the present state"

Infact, Blood matam and cutting yourself started around the 19th Century, one of the Sole greatest Mrajah and ulema of his time spoke out:

Grand Ayatullah Abul Hassan Esfahani

Ayatullah Esfahani (1860–1946) was the highest ranking Shia jurist and the sole Marja of his time. He openly supported the stance of Ayatullah Muhsin Al-Amin on this issue.“The usage of swords, chains, drums, horns and the likes today, which have become common in mourning ceremonies on Ashura, is definitely forbidden and against religious doctrine.”Dayrah al-Ma”arif Tashayu’, v.2, p.531; A’yan al-Shia, v.10, p.378; Professor Hassan Shabir, Tarikh Iraq Mu’asir, v.2, p.340

Grand Ayatullah Muhsin Al-Amin Al-Amuli

Ayatullah Muhsin Al-Amin (~1868-1952), was one of the greatest scholars of his time. He is known for his biographical encyclopaedia, Ayan Al-Shi’ah (62 volumes) and for his very strong opposition to blood shedding rituals. He is known to have boycotted meetings where they were performed.He wrote the book “Al-Majalis Al-Saniya” (1928) in which he said: “And what some people do injuring themselves with swords and hitting themselves in a way that harms them is from the encouragement of Shaytan”.

Ayatullah Mutahhari

“Blood matam in its present form does not have a rational or religious basis. It is a clear instance of deviation. At least, in the present day it causes Shi’ism to be questioned. Activities that do not have any relation to the goals of Imam Husayn (a) are razors, blades and locks. Striking the head with a blade is the same. This is a mistake. Some people take blades and strike their heads making blood flow for what? This action is not mourning.”Howzah va Ruhaniyat, v.3

Grand Ayatullah Khamenei

Ayatullah Khamenei, in his position as the Hakim Al-Shari’i has given a Hukm forbidding blood flagellation. A hukm is binding on all Muslims, unlike a fatwa.Question 1450:
Is hitting oneself with swords halal if it is done in secret? Or is your fatwa in this regard universal?
Answer:
In addition to the fact that it is not held in the common view as manifestations of mourning and grief and it has no precedent at the lifetime of the Imams (a.s.) and even after that and we have not received any tradition quoted from the Infallibles (a.s.) about any support for this act, be it privately or publicly, this practice would, at the present time, give others a bad image of our school of thought. Therefore, there is no way that it can be considered permissible.
Question 1449:
In commemorating the martyrdom of Imam Husayn (a.s.) on the tenth of Muharram, some people hit themselves with a machete, or walk bare-footed on fire. Such actions defame Shi‘ism and put it in a bad light, if not undermine it. They cause bodily and spiritual harms on these doing it as well. What is your opinion in this matter?
Answer:
Any practice that causes bodily harm, or leads to defaming the faith, is haram. Accordingly, the believers have to steer clear of it. There is no doubt that many of these practices besmirch the image of Ahlul Bayt’s (a.s.) School of Thought which is the worst damage and loss.

I could give more Fatwa's , scholarly rulings etc. The majority do not do it.

(edited 9 years ago)
I don't know. :smile: I did my A'levels back in 2006 so a lot may have changed... I can't predict if getting A* grades is possible in a few months time now... Definitely not if you leave studying at the last month lol (unless you're one of those super genius kids).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow you are like in your late 20s now.What job do you do? Are you settled down?
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow you are like in your late 20s now.What job do you do? Are you settled down?

Yes I'm the oldest one around here. :biggrin: I'd rather not answer personal questions here. VM me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5832
Dawah Man is terrifying. His appearance, his voice and his mannerisms are so strange. It's like he's acting.

[video="youtube_share;_zAGiwKlczY"]http://youtu.be/_zAGiwKlczY[/video]
Original post by Mary562

Peace be with you too sister,

Imam Mahdi a.s in Bukhari

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said "How will you be when the son of Mary (i.e. Jesus) descends amongst you and your imam is among you."
"‏ كَيْفَ أَنْتُمْ إِذَا نَزَلَ ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ فِيكُمْ وَإِمَامُكُمْ مِنْكُمْ
SAHIH BUKHARI : Vol. 4, Book 55, Hadith 658

Mishkat al-Masabih, al-Khatib al-Tabrizi (d. 737 AH), volume 3, pg. 1159, chapter vi (The Descent of Jesus)
Lahore: Shaikh Muhammad Ashraf (2 vols), translated by James Robson, 1964

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mary562

I'll address Aisha, the wife of Muhammed pbuh a little later
Original post by Mary562

Peace be with you,

Sister, with regards to certain personalities, there is polarisation. For instance, Hazrat Abu Talib r.a to shias was one who not only adopted Muhammed pbuh, gave his wealth to Islam, raised Muhammed pbuh , performed his Nikkah, was one who used disemulation of faith in order to politically help Muhammed pbuh, and one of the greatest muslims.

However, the ahlul sunnah while considering him a good person, say he died as a kaffir, and not only that, there are hadiths in the sihah al sitta saying his brains will boil or he will be put in a shallow area of hell.

Irrespective of the debate about Hazrat Abu Talib r.a, do you not feel it is extremely offensive to shia muslims to hear such things about someone they revere?

Similarly, the ummah is polarized with regards to others, i.e Aisha, the Caliphs and so on. We need to respect one anothers academic views about certain individuals, but at the same time, employ considerate language.

A sunni should not be publicly promoting that Abu Talib r.a will burn in hell, and a Shia should not openly ask Allah swt to remove his mercy from those he believed were unjust to the Ahlulbayt a.s by giving names.

We must speak respectfully, and only state disagreements.

Indeed, academic disagreements should not be enough of a basis for one to then perform tafkir.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5836
Any other avid Hamza Yusuf listeners here?

[video="youtube;WgJXgGYcrvU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgJXgGYcrvU[/video]
Original post by JFOT
Any other avid Hamza Yusuf listeners here?

[video="youtube;WgJXgGYcrvU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgJXgGYcrvU[/video]

Not really avid, but I do like his talks. Great guy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
[video="youtube;GkjNROBu6l0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkjNROBu6l0[/video]
إِنَّ اللَّهَ لَذُو فَضْلٍ عَلَى النَّاسِ وَلَٰكِنَّ أَكْثَرَهُمْ لَا يَشْكُرُونَ

Indeed, Allah is full of bounty to the people, but most of them are not grateful."

[video="youtube;awO5lm0UdBg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awO5lm0UdBg[/video]

Latest

Trending

Trending