The Student Room Group

Healthcare assistant in gap year

Just wanted some advice on how i should go about this;
Should i apply for a bank or a permanent position, bearing in mind I'll only be able to work full time during my gap year (2016).
Wont mentioning that i intend to work for only a year full time seriously hinder my chances of becoming a HCA
Original post by Zahid~
Just wanted some advice on how i should go about this;
Should i apply for a bank or a permanent position, bearing in mind I'll only be able to work full time during my gap year (2016).
Wont mentioning that i intend to work for only a year full time seriously hinder my chances of becoming a HCA

Permanent; this way you have a full-time job, so more money will be going into your bank account for you to save, and come September you will be able change on to BANK staff. I only suggest this because BANK means you work as and when you want, and I'm not sure if there are restrictions as to how many hours you can do as BANK. Obviously, don't tell them you plan to apply for uni and go to uni in 2016, they won't employ you or even acknowledge you. I've known people apply for jobs totally unrelated to their course in their gap years, and because they mentioned on their application they intend to leave to go to uni, they are instantly rejected.

I think this is a really good idea! Are you wanting to go into nursing? Two or three people on my health and social care course are planning on doing this and then going to uni in 2016 so they have more experience :smile: Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by EmEmTheFairy

I think this is a really good idea! Are you wanting to go into nursing? Two or three people on my health and social care course are planning on doing this and then going to uni in 2016 so they have more experience :smile: Good luck!

Im planning on studying Medicine, alot of these require a NVQ or 3/6 months of experience in the nhs, so im trying to go about and find how to do that, any ideas?
Original post by Zahid~
Im planning on studying Medicine, alot of these require a NVQ or 3/6 months of experience in the nhs, so im trying to go about and find how to do that, any ideas?

I think sometimes you can do an NVQ whilst working, I could be wrong though. As for the experience, have you considered volunteering? Wards, baby clinic, drop in support sessions? You can volunteer in all those areas
Reply 4
Original post by EmEmTheFairy
I think sometimes you can do an NVQ whilst working, I could be wrong though. As for the experience, have you considered volunteering? Wards, baby clinic, drop in support sessions? You can volunteer in all those areas

I volunteer at a hospital ward, but i just started recently, nothing substantial. baby clinic looks interesting, ill look into that.
Reply 5
i am an international health care assistant.
i want to know about health care assistant band 1,2.3,4,5.6~.......
Reply 6
Hi. I'm now an F1 and I was a hospital volunteer first during my gap year and then I worked as a HCA when a job came up on the ward I volunteered on. I worked permanently first and then I joined the bank so that I could continue to work during the holidays/weekends. Working on the bank also allows you to see different departments such as peads, O+G, outpatients, medical/surgical assessment units. Some trusts let you join bank as well as having a permanent job. Also a lot of HCA's don't want to do night shifts but they can pay more and you do more hours in one go than an early or late (something to bear in mind). It's a great idea though whether you want to do nursing or medicine as you get experience of working in a hospital and all the jargon. I also got the nurses to teach me how to do ECGs and always volunteered to take patients down to x-ray etc to see procedures done, which looks great at interview and helps during med school as you are more comfortable working on wards! I've also been on the interview panel for medicine and they do love people with experience of working in a hospital. Best of luck.
I’m so disappointed 3times I’m apply for health care assistance in hospital I fail I got all my certificate people don’t have nothing they pass why not me having 19 yrs in cary

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending