The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrBowcat
I'm not a first year student, but I have several friends in their 1st and 2nd years at LSE, and they're all having the time of their lives. It is London after all; there is always something to do, and always someone to do something with. The whole Uni experience is what you make of it. Moreover, LSE is a much more prestigious uni for Law, so he will be losing out quite a bit.

This may not be the best of things to tell a parent, but LSE was even voted as having the best nightlife in the UK.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/dec/07/london-school-of-economics-best-university-nightlife

I know and that should be encouraging. He's going to offer holders' day so hopefully he'll love it. Are you going to firm LSE?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by kewbacca
Who's firming LSE for law? Wanna get to know some future classmates :biggrin:

LSE Law here:biggrin:
You know where you're applying for accommodation?
Original post by Tortuga56
I'm not a first year at LSE either but I'm actually in the same position as your son, but for politics. To be honest, Durham is beginning to sway me. There's someone further up who was discussing Bath vs LSE and there is a Durham vs LSE thread I've responded to. The thing is, it's not just about the degree certificate, it's about everything else you get out of university such as clubs, societies, positions of responsibility, work experience. Where after university is concerned both Durham an LSE stand extremely highly on and employability level and for graduate schemes.

Tbh we've researched both and If you read Mr Bowcat's post, he is right. In London most prestigious law firms only want Oxbridge or top London unis. LSE students complained they weren't getting the student experience so they spent millions on the new Swee Saw Hock student centre. Look at it on you tube. 3 years is a short time and you may not get the collegiate experience at LSE but the law course and lectures plus nightlife make up for it. Don't think any Durham graduates make it to Harvard for postgrad.
Original post by Cholesta
I know and that should be encouraging. He's going to offer holders' day so hopefully he'll love it. Are you going to firm LSE?

I already have, I chose LSE over UCL, Warwick and Bristol.
I already have, I chose LSE over UCL, Warwick and Bristol.

May I ask why and are you a home student. We're from Northern Ireland😃🍀

Durham is apparently full of public school Oxford rejects who feel they should have been in Oxford. It is also a long way from where I live - something like 7 hours by car or train. I dont know what the transport links are like from Ireland to Durham but I would imagine that they would be better to London?

My cousin is in a London Uni and she messaged me on FB to say that she is absolutely loving living in London as there is so much to see and do.
I was really impressed by LSE when I went there for the Open Day and the Student Shadowing session and it is the No3 University in the UK. I am torn between choosing Bath (Top 10 Uni and I would be playing rugby at a high standard there) and LSE where my career prospects would be significantly enhanced by studying in London at LSE. That applies for Law as well. There is no guarantee that having LSE on your CV gets you a job but I reckon it definitely gets you in the door for an interview whereas having Durham maybe doesn't?
Original post by JamjamjamT
Durham is apparently full of public school Oxford rejects who feel they should have been in Oxford. It is also a long way from where I live - something like 7 hours by car or train. I dont know what the transport links are like from Ireland to Durham but I would imagine that they would be better to London?

My cousin is in a London Uni and she messaged me on FB to say that she is absolutely loving living in London as there is so much to see and do.
I was really impressed by LSE when I went there for the Open Day and the Student Shadowing session and it is the No3 University in the UK. I am torn between choosing Bath (Top 10 Uni and I would be playing rugby at a high standard there) and LSE where my career prospects would be significantly enhanced by studying in London at LSE. That applies for Law as well. There is no guarantee that having LSE on your CV gets you a job but I reckon it definitely gets you in the door for an interview whereas having Durham maybe doesn't?

Very true
Original post by JamjamjamT

The last bit is certainly not true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
May I ask why and are you a home student. We're from Northern Ireland������������

LSE was just a far more prestigious institution than the other 3, it has a global 'wow factor' whereas the others are not well known at all (I hope this doesn't sound too egotistical). After speaking with people in the Law and Finance industries in London (through work experience and family members), I was never initially aware as to how desirable LSE students really are; the rigour of the courses and reputation of the Uni make LSE students among the most employable in the UK and the World.
My ONLY drawback was like your son's, the perceived "unsocial" nature of LSE, which is commonly talked about on student forums. In hindsight, this would've been a very small cost to pay for being almost set for life, if it were true. However, like I said, after speaking to people at LSE, this unofficial reputation is a complete falsehood. Thus, after that, it became a no brainer.

Yes I am home student from England :smile:

(nB. I don't mean to undermine the reputation of the mentioned Universities, they are all also very good institutions. There are also many other Universities available in the UK)
To join in with the LSE vs another university trend, how does it fare against Warwick for PPE? I really can't decide :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by economicsrocks
To join in with the LSE vs another university trend, how does it fare against Warwick for PPE? I really can't decide :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

LSE's PPE course itself is too new to draw an exact comparison. However, for the individual subjects, LSE is far far better - it has been ranked in the top 3 in the UK in all 3 separate subjects for the past 6 consecutive years alone. So, it is highly likely that the PPE course will be of similar, if not better standard.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tortuga56
Interesting stereotype. I for one did not apply for Oxbridge because neither university appealed to me. I'm speaking from experience of living and studying in a capital city as I currently live and study in Madrid at the largest university in Spain. True enough there will be people who's first choice wasn't Durham but that's true of anywhere you go. Have a look on some league tables when it comes to employability from Durham. I personally have 3 friends as Durham graduates who have gained places on top graduate schemes for law, civil service and investment banking... Personally, I think it's about where you feel happiest and most comfortable. No, three years isn't forever but it's a really important time of your life for personal development and it needs to be an important factor. City living is for some, but not for everyone.

Sounds like you have already made up your mind. Are you going to offer holders day?
My son was in 5 minds after he received an offer to read staring econ from LSE. But after having researched he has almost made up his mind to firm LSE and choose UCL or Warwick as his insurance.
Just the social life should not be a deciding factor in choosing your uni. Yes one has to enjoy the social life but the tuition fee which the government gives is mainly to study at the Uni which will enable you to have a set life. Either you enjoy three years now and suffer or get these 3 years out of the way whilst enjoying and then you have world at your feet.
I meant straight econ
LSE's PPE course itself is too new to draw an exact comparison. However, for the individual subjects, LSE is far far better - it has been ranked in the top 3 in the UK in all 3 separate subjects for the past 6 consecutive years alone. So, it is highly likely that the PPE course will be of similar, if not better standard.

Thanks for the reply! That is something I will consider :smile:
Completely agree and i was not replying or referring to your post specifically as i was just making a point as i see endless post when students are confused. LSE is definitely a no brainer. Other universities take reading material from LSE.
Original post by bobabob
I got an offer from kings and still waiting for ucl to reply. wbu?

Decent, UCL is my 2nd
jchap9776 The longer you have to wait the better are the chances as No News is good news. I sincerely hop you get your offer. all the best
How long are the Easter and xmas breaks? Is it better to confirm 39 weeks let or 30 weeks let?
Original post by AQUF42
How long are the Easter and xmas breaks? Is it better to confirm 39 weeks let or 30 weeks let?

4 Weeks each. Contract length depends on personal preference really, the problem with the 30 week contracts is that you will have to vacate your room COMPLETELY before the Christmas and Easter holidays. So, a 38 week contract seems more convenient, and also, if by any chance you need to stay in your accommodation for a day or 2 during the holidays, you're more than able to do so!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending