The Student Room Group

Any guys identify as feminists on here?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kiki37
You do realise feminism started in like the early 1900s? Or possibly even before that? What a moron you are

What a moron you are.... most first wave feminism, contrary to feminist claims were not actually feminist's.

Suffragettes are one famous example.
Reply 101
Original post by DanB1991
What a moron you are.... most first wave feminism, contrary to feminist claims were not actually feminist's.

Suffragettes are one famous example.

They were feminists which were suitable for the time, because it was a total patriarchal society then.
Reply 102
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Yes, I'm an active member of our university's feminist society

Feminism at its core is a reaction to the gendered structure of society. It's disadvantaged women in many ways (the power structure of society etc.) - hence why it's called feminism and not "gender equality" or "humanism" or whatever :rolleyes: - but also disadvantaged men.

I think it's vital for men to be a part of feminism and one of the struggles we've experienced as a femsoc is getting more men involved. I think it's sad what a bad press feminism gets - the work I've done has all been wonderfully positive and I've not met one "radical man-hating feminazi" or whatever. The girls (and boys) I've worked with are on the whole genuinely lovely people who believe in equality for both genders.

👏 (if anyone can't see this it's a clapping emoji)
Original post by kiki37

The name is feminism as it started off as being all about women because it was necessary at the time. And the name stuck. Is it seriously such a big deal that it has "fem" in it? Would you seriously not believe in feminism for such a petty reason? That's just so pathetic I can't even comprehend how you can think like that. They're not called "blackists" because people of all shades have been mistreated. There's not two races.

Another ridiculous point. Here's a feminist with long hair, no glasses and not aggressive: (me). Not that I'm an author or anything, just an average feminist. What's even wrong with women who look like that? Oh. My. God.

I simply believe in gender equality. I have no desire to be superior to men. I should hope most feminists feel this way. I completely get along with men. Men are great.

I don't want to be a victim.I simply believe in gender equality. That is what feminism means to me.

I accept that us females in the UK don't have it too hard. But there ARE sexist people out there. I simply just oppose sexism. I consider myself equal, and I want to be seen as equal. That's it. And I just believe that women worldwide should be able to feel like that too. Maybe females don't need feminism that much in the UK, but trans people do. Remember it isn't just about females. There's feminist issues concerning men too. A high number of men's suicides considered to be because they don't want to seek help because they'll be seen as weak.

Ok. Rant over. Hahaha. Sorry about this. I'm a passionate person.

Is that a tattoo on your hand?

Original post by zippity.doodah

Spoiler

You are just proving modern feminists correct here I'm afraid. It shouldn't matter what they look like, ignoring the fact it is complete *******s. What is even wrong with wearing glasses? Such a stupid statement. :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kiki37
They were feminists which were suitable for the time, because it was a total patriarchal society then.

Feminism by definition want equality between gender, suffragettes simply wanted the vote, regardless of other rights and their position in society.

For example most still thought a womens place was in the home, men in the workplace & battlefield, men paying womens tax etc. Very few even used the tag feminist and most would disagree with feminist theory.

As such second/third wave feminism completely made up the idea of first wave feminist's actually being feminist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Nah it's that current henna tattoo craze among young white girls.
Original post by kiki37
I have noticed much more sexism towards women on the student room.

Like what? All I see are posts questioning feminism and someone moaning about double standards between genders.
Original post by kiki37
There doesn't need to be a battle of "who has it worse". I know that men have their problems, and I respect that. And I agree that a woman should never be blamed for rape, and this is actually what feminism teaches. That women can wear what they want.
Perhaps in the UK we don't have a rape culture, but it is a problem in the US. Which is a Western country.
Feminism DOES care about male's rights. MY feminism does. I know many feminists who think like me.
Transgendered people aren't a threat for feminism at all. It's really fine if a woman wants to become a man! There's nothing wrong with men at all. If men and woman should be equal, transgendered people should be equal to us too.

I think you're willfully misreading me here.

Mehndi.

You are just proving modern feminists correct here I'm afraid. It shouldn't matter what they look like, ignoring the fact it is complete *******s. What is even wrong with wearing glasses? Such a stupid statement. :rolleyes:

1) no, she didn't have a tattoo on her hand, it look exactly like the hand decorations that muslim women have, which isn't permanent (muslim girls used to go to my school growing up). an so what if she did? I thought appearances didn't matter or some ****?
2) and no I'm not - I have explained why modern/radical feminism is bad, and the appearances thing was just a feature on the side which happens to be overwhelmingly true. I can't hep it that modern/radical feminists all tend to share the same aesthetic traits. they look like reaks because usually they are freaks. this isn't an ad hominem, though, because I'm not basing their ridicuous beliefs on their appearance - their appearance is an independent feature which isn't the basis for my view on them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 110
Original post by KingStannis
I think you're willfully misreading me here.

Nope, I just read what you wrote as you wrote it
Original post by kiki37
Nope, I just read what you wrote as you wrote it

Reread what I said. Your arguments are against different arguments to what I made.
Reply 112

It's mehndi/henna! I don't know how to make a quote smaller on here :frown:
Reply 113
Original post by KingStannis
Reread what I said. Your arguments are against different arguments to what I made.

I just reread it and it seems the same to how I read it before....
Original post by kiki37
It's mehndi/henna! I don't know how to make a quote smaller on here :frown:

I'm obviously not 'down with the kids'

Just delete the text you don't want to be in the quote.
Reply 115
I'm obviously not 'down with the kids'

Just delete the text you don't want to be in the quote.

Haha, my psychology teacher did it for me, it's an Indian thing :-)
I support feminism because I believe in equal rights for women.
I don't label myself as anything. I used to label myself as a feminist but decided "Sod that, not only am I associated with radical morons, I get **** from non feminists too." I don't go by anything else because if I have to change a label because one has changed its principles I'd rather just say "These are my principles, end of."
I tire of the gender wars, I believe we need to all accept our place in the circle of life, behind Mufasa and Pumbaa
Reply 119
Original post by Evening
You sound like a right crybaby.

Nah, just someone who expected the majority of guys on the student room to be mature and educated haha

Quick Reply

Latest