The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just looking at the form tables and only Liverpool have scored more points than us in the last 10 games (24 compared to us on 22). Monaco has been the exception to our form since the turn of the year, although Liverpool are definitely a team to be afraid of from the looks of it, keep getting better and better
Original post by leinad2012
Just looking at the form tables and only Liverpool have scored more points than us in the last 10 games (24 compared to us on 22). Monaco has been the exception to our form since the turn of the year, although Liverpool are definitely a team to be afraid of from the looks of it, keep getting better and better

all you can do is win your matches and build a lead :smile:
you're 3 points clear, and since we have city this weekend it's likely that will jump to 5/6.

i don't think you'll have a problem for top 4.
i think it'll be united scraping wins and trying to limp over the line to 4th before we catch them.
southampton dropping more points..

United still looking poor...

Good good.

win this weekend, and if liverpool loose to city, can be 5 clear from southampton, and 6 from liverpool..

Starting to look good - but still need to make a bigger cushon before we inevitably drop 6 against united + chelsea later this season
Original post by Lúcio
all you can do is win your matches and build a lead :smile:
you're 3 points clear, and since we have city this weekend it's likely that will jump to 5/6.

i don't think you'll have a problem for top 4.
i think it'll be united scraping wins and trying to limp over the line to 4th before we catch them.

Hmm, but if you beat City and we win we'll only be 4 behind them :eek:

We should comfortably get top 4, Southampton and starting to lag, Tottenham are the inevitable inconsistencies, but you're playing well, could easily see you leapfrogging us if we aren't careful. Then you have United clawing points back after playing ****, I think if we beat them in a few weeks it'll knock the stuffing out of them, but like others have said, we're guaranteed to drop 5 points Chelsea and United so we need to build up a lead.

Anyone know when the return fixture is for Monaco?

We should comfortably get top 4, Southampton and starting to lag, Tottenham are the inevitable inconsistencies, but you're playing well, could easily see you leapfrogging us if we aren't careful. Then you have United clawing points back after playing ****, I think if we beat them in a few weeks it'll knock the stuffing out of them, but like others have said, we're guaranteed to drop 5 points Chelsea and United so we need to build up a lead.

we have three important players back (sakho, henderson, coutinho) for the city game but we're also likely to rest sturridge.
if we win i think everybody bar chelsea will be worried about us, although personally i can't see it :/

yeah, soton are dropping and spurs tend to lose points randomly.
united are STILL getting good points without playing well and that's the main problem for both of our clubs.

they'll be seriously tested in their painfully hard run of fixtures and personally i think they'll get destroyed.
chelsea would tear them apart and we would rip their defence to shreds.
unfortunately you have the curse against them so i'm not too hopeful of you making them drop points -_-

Anyone know when the return fixture is for Monaco?

17 March. Good luck getting 3-0
(I think they will tbf, when Arsenal are on a bad patch they can turn up on some foreign land and nick a surprise)
Lmao Tottenham are suddenly irrelevant again now people realize the extent of their reliance on Kane scoring tap-ins. Southampton are falling and Utd are still fluking wins with no actual confidence. Arsenal will drag themselves over the line like a dog trying to get rid of a dingleberry on the carpet. Unless Liverpool pick it up, Utd will get fourth, but Liverpool can still make up the gap.
Original post by Pete_91
Or you could say every season since 05 (bar maybe 05/06 for the CL final and 13/14 for the FA Cup win) have been bad seasons, we're just used to them and see them as average.

You may as well flip a coin in August because Arsenal seasons only ever go 1 of 2 ways

- Sell key player(s), start the season poorly, have loads of injuries, go on a good run to end the season and scrape the last CL place
- Start the season well, everyone thinks Arsenal have turned the corner, have loads of injuries, completely fall apart in February/March and scrape the last CL place, with the occasional run in one of the cups.

This season looks like it'll be the former. Last season was the latter.
(edited 9 years ago)
Only this time Arsenal didn't sell key players (Vermaelen wasn't "key" at all)
Original post by sr90
You may as well flip a coin in August because Arsenal seasons only ever go 1 of 2 ways

- Sell key player(s), start the season poorly, have loads of injuries, go on a good run to end the season and scrape the last CL place
- Start the season well, everyone thinks Arsenal have turned the corner, have loads of injuries, completely fall apart in February/March and scrape the last CL place, with the occasional run in one of the cups.

This season looks like it'll be the former. Last season was the latter.

Except we didn't sell key players, we didn't replace backup players. Bit of a difference...
Original post by shawn_o1
Only this time Arsenal didn't sell key players (Vermaelen wasn't "key" at all)

Original post by Pete_91
Except we didn't sell key players, we didn't replace backup players. Bit of a difference...

You lost Sagna to Man City's bench and you've struggled in that position this season.
^ Would have provided some vital experience, considering Per is ******* up big time and you have a new young right back,
Original post by sr90
You lost Sagna to Man City's bench and you've struggled in that position this season.

Only because the replacement got 2 3 month injuries, there's no guaranteeing the same wouldn't have happened to him had he stayed.

That's really not the same thing as you were arguing and you know it. If Sanchez got injured and wasn't playing much you could say "well you never got the LW you needed". Fact is we did replace Sagna, it was Vermaelen we didn't replace.
Original post by Rk2k14
^ Would have provided some vital experience, considering Per is ******* up big time and you have a new young right back,

That's not how it works, we replaced him with Debuchy, the latter got 2 3 month injury lay offs. Hardyl anything the club can do (besides sort out the obvious injury issue). We weren't going to keep 5 RBs on the books were we?
Original post by Pete_91
That's not how it works, we replaced him with Debuchy, the latter got 2 3 month injury lay offs. Hardyl anything the club can do (besides sort out the obvious injury issue). We weren't going to keep 5 RBs on the books were we?

Did he want to leave? If he did then I understand what you're saying but if you had the chance to keep an experienced player and ******* up then...
Original post by Pete_91
Only because the replacement got 2 3 month injuries, there's no guaranteeing the same wouldn't have happened to him had he stayed.

That's really not the same thing as you were arguing and you know it. If Sanchez got injured and wasn't playing much you could say "well you never got the LW you needed". Fact is we did replace Sagna, it was Vermaelen we didn't replace.

Well it doesn't say much for the club when a stalwart of the side for the past 7 years decides to leave and sit on the bench somewhere else does it?
Wish we signed Suarez :frown:
Original post by Arkasia
Lmao Tottenham are suddenly irrelevant again now people realize the extent of their reliance on Kane scoring tap-ins

Spurs were always irrelevant and only an idiot would've said otherwise.
Original post by sr90
Well it doesn't say much for the club when a stalwart of the side for the past 7 years decides to leave and sit on the bench somewhere else does it?

I agree but that's not the same argument you were making...
Original post by sr90

$$$

Latest