The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

hey guys, this isn't very relevant to this forum I just wanted some advice. I'm in AS currently and I want to apply for medicine at Cambridge. However my gcse's are appalling 7A's 2B's and a C :/. I'm on track for 4A's and I'm working hard for a high UMS average but I fear it won't be enough. To compensate for my GCSE's will my chances improve by applying with my A2'S hoping I can get A*'s in bio chem and maths? Thanks!
Original post by a123a
Ahh ok ok dw about UCL though. Cambridge is the one :colondollar:

Hey! I got into UCL! :mad: I'm only joking :wink:
I've put Cambridge as my firm and UCL as my insurance. I declined Imperial and withdrew from Birmingham. Which university are you now thinking of as an insurance?

Indeed! Haha, I was joking too don't worry! :P Wow, you got three offers?! That's amazing well done!! Good thing you withdrew from Birmingham actually they oddly rejected two amazing applicants (Cambridge applicants) pre-interview! I haven't had any other offers yet but if I get one from UEA I'll choose that... but I'm kind of wishing I applied to slightly better unis now, no offence to UEA. I didn't really love their medical school, I just wanted to be safe!

Original post by laurensmiley97
My friend got into UCL but had 3 rejections?? It's strange haha o.O

Posted from TSR Mobile

As did mine! It is so strange, how can medical schools' criteria be so radically different?? :O
Original post by aprocrastinator
As did mine! It is so strange, how can medical schools' criteria be so radically different?? :O

I know, it's so strange! They must have seriously different ideas of who would make a good doctor haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Indeed! Haha, I was joking too don't worry! :P Wow, you got three offers?! That's amazing well done!! Good thing you withdrew from Birmingham actually they oddly rejected two amazing applicants (Cambridge applicants) pre-interview! I haven't had any other offers yet but if I get one from UEA I'll choose that... but I'm kind of wishing I applied to slightly better unis now, no offence to UEA. I didn't really love their medical school, I just wanted to be safe!

Yep I got three offers. I could have waited for Birmingham as I attended an interview there, but I knew UCL was my second choice so I didn't bother waiting. Yeah I get what you mean. I risked it a lot with 3 BMAT universities but it luckily paid off.
Medicine is really weird; it's probably one of a very few courses where every university that does it is competitive to get into as each other. I mean, I see people with offers from cambridge and then rejections from all their other universities but then some people who don't even get a single interview but have amazing stats.
I agree too, different medical schools look for different types of candidates.
Good luck with your application to your other universities! :smile:
Original post by HarveySpecter97
hey guys, this isn't very relevant to this forum I just wanted some advice. I'm in AS currently and I want to apply for medicine at Cambridge. However my gcse's are appalling 7A's 2B's and a C :/. I'm on track for 4A's and I'm working hard for a high UMS average but I fear it won't be enough. To compensate for my GCSE's will my chances improve by applying with my A2'S hoping I can get A*'s in bio chem and maths? Thanks!

Hey!
Your GCSEs are very good, but I'm sorry to say that they are below average for a medical applicant. But this shouldn't deter you from applying!
Cambridge puts a lot more emphasis on most recent examinations; that being AS for most people applying in year 13. So if you get stellar UMS scores you would have a good chance of getting an interview. Once you've got the interview it comes down to how you perform in it. I think medicine is hard because even if Cambridge put a lot more emphasis on AS UMS scores, medical applicants tend to have many A*/As. But you have to remember you have to do the BMAT exam as well, which can help a lot with getting an interview/offer.
I don't want to put you off from applying to Cambridge, because who am I to do that! But as you know, your GCSEs are below average, so you will have to compensate by getting good marks in the other factors. On top of all of that, many applicants tend to have lots of medically related work experience; which is very beneficial as it can make your application stand out. Or rather, if you don't have any you may also stand out but in a negative way.
In terms of applying after you get your A2 results, I would advise just to wait until you get your AS results and see if your UMS will be competitive enough (I think the average successful Cambridge medical student had a UMS average of 96.1% over their top 3 subjects for either the last year or year before that) If they are apply in year 13, if not, take a gap year and apply. But I also would advise gaining some work experience now.
I think it's very hard to say whether if you'll have a good chance as you only have your GCSE grades, which is only one of many factors that Cambridge, and all universities for that matter, will use when assessing your application.
Good luck with your AS examinations and your application for Medicine. :smile:
Original post by a123a
Hey!
Your GCSEs are very good, but I'm sorry to say that they are below average for a medical applicant. But this shouldn't deter you from applying!
Cambridge puts a lot more emphasis on most recent examinations; that being AS for most people applying in year 13. So if you get stellar UMS scores you would have a good chance of getting an interview. Once you've got the interview it comes down to how you perform in it. I think medicine is hard because even if Cambridge put a lot more emphasis on AS UMS scores, medical applicants tend to have many A*/As. But you have to remember you have to do the BMAT exam as well, which can help a lot with getting an interview/offer.
I don't want to put you off from applying to Cambridge, because who am I to do that! But as you know, your GCSEs are below average, so you will have to compensate by getting good marks in the other factors. On top of all of that, many applicants tend to have lots of medically related work experience; which is very beneficial as it can make your application stand out. Or rather, if you don't have any you may also stand out but in a negative way.
In terms of applying after you get your A2 results, I would advise just to wait until you get your AS results and see if your UMS will be competitive enough (I think the average successful Cambridge medical student had a UMS average of 96.1% over their top 3 subjects for either the last year or year before that) If they are apply in year 13, if not, take a gap year and apply. But I also would advise gaining some work experience now.
I think it's very hard to say whether if you'll have a good chance as you only have your GCSE grades, which is only one of many factors that Cambridge, and all universities for that matter, will use when assessing your application.
Good luck with your AS examinations and your application for Medicine. :smile:

thank you very much! :smile:
Original post by laurensmiley97
I know, it's so strange! They must have seriously different ideas of who would make a good doctor haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think so, which begs the question... who's right? :biggrin:

Original post by a123a
Yep I got three offers. I could have waited for Birmingham as I attended an interview there, but I knew UCL was my second choice so I didn't bother waiting. Yeah I get what you mean. I risked it a lot with 3 BMAT universities but it luckily paid off.
Medicine is really weird; it's probably one of a very few courses where every university that does it is competitive to get into as each other. I mean, I see people with offers from cambridge and then rejections from all their other universities but then some people who don't even get a single interview but have amazing stats.
I agree too, different medical schools look for different types of candidates.
Good luck with your application to your other universities! :smile:

You were risky with 3 BMAT unis, especially the top three but fortunately it paid off for you! Three of my friends applied to three BMAT unis, two of them the same ones as you. One of them got rejected by Cambridge, Imperial and Birmingham (pre-interview) so UCL was her last one so that was scary for her. It's so weird/annoying because I'll be annoyed if I got no other offers because I worked so hard for my UKCAT but only to be rejected because I'm a Cambridge applicant -.- it's so ridiculous! Thank you! I would say you too, but you're all done :wink:
Yeah I think so, which begs the question... who's right? :biggrin:

You were risky with 3 BMAT unis, especially the top three but fortunately it paid off for you! Three of my friends applied to three BMAT unis, two of them the same ones as you. One of them got rejected by Cambridge, Imperial and Birmingham (pre-interview) so UCL was her last one so that was scary for her. It's so weird/annoying because I'll be annoyed if I got no other offers because I worked so hard for my UKCAT but only to be rejected because I'm a Cambridge applicant -.- it's so ridiculous! Thank you! I would say you too, but you're all done :wink:

Haha but we still have to get the grades! :biggrin:
Original post by a123a
Haha but we still have to get the grades! :biggrin:

I'm sure we'll be fine :smile:
[QUOTE="stardude8;53867887"]
Original post by ILovePancakes
Do any of you ever think what the **** am I doing?

I still have no idea how I got in and am so scared about not meeting the offer.

Someone posted this

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/jan/10/how-cambridge-admissions-really-work

in a different thread and I just read through it. The thought of them sitting in a room and properly contemplating me kind of freaks me out and makes me feel a bit stressed.. like now I have to live up to that. Perhaps this doesn't make sense, I'm not sure :colondollar:.[

You're not alone in thinking that, don't worry. I'm still haven't got a clue how I got in either and we've still got to get the grades:angry:

I look at the admissions process in another way - the fact that they spend much more time per candidate makes a correct decision on your application more likely and means they care much more about you than with other unis.

But yeah now that they think we're good enough, we have to show them:colondollar:

This article is not true, the illuminati actually decides who gets an offer
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by stardude8
Agreed on AC series :wink:

Serious work is starting this week for me. My offer's A*AA too from Selwyn - what college is your offer from? Good luck in achieving it :smile:

Yeah it feels like a huge amount of time from now to beginning uni! Just got to get those grades in the exams now.

Oxford is better
Original post by TVIO
Didn't think there was any chance of this happening... WTF am I doing here lol. I can't believe this. Hey all!

Congrats! what was your offer?
Reply 1312
Original post by Georgiam247
Congrats! what was your offer?

A*A*A*A in maths, further maths, physics, computing respectively. And 1,2 from STEP II, III. Yourself?
Original post by Tazza'sNightmare
Oxford is better

Get back to your maths pls
[QUOTE="Tazza'sNightmare;54021089"]

This article is not true, the illuminati actually decides who gets an offer

You need to get on with your m5 and fp3 m8 m9
[QUOTE="stardude8;54021431"]

You need to get on with your m5 and fp3 m8 m9

Your mathematical prowess is wasted on economics
[QUOTE="Tazza'sNightmare;54022379"]

Your mathematical prowess is wasted on economics

Your mathematical prowess is wasted on illuminati maths - anyone can add to 3.
[QUOTE="stardude8;54022445"]

Your mathematical prowess is wasted on illuminati maths - anyone can add to 3.

3/0 =3
Does anyone have any access to statistics on ums of post a level applicants and offer holders? Either as level ums or full a level?

I'm slightly bored and very curious!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mini-Me
Does anyone have any access to statistics on ums of post a level applicants and offer holders? Either as level ums or full a level?

I'm slightly bored and very curious!

Posted from TSR Mobile

For what subject?
The original research showed there was no difference in predictive value between including A2 or only AS units. This means on the whole you can look at the graphs in the teachers'presentations without second guessing an adjustment.
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/admissions/research/docs/prefective_effectiveness_of_metrics_in_admission.pdf (see note 3)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending