The Student Room Group

Why do we tip waiters?

Why do we tip waiters? Why are we expected to?

Are we simply making up for the miserliness of the establishment managers who employ them? It isn't expected in any other career, and I'm curious why it is such a fixed expectation of this one.

Scroll to see replies

Due to American influence? There their waiters can be paid $2 or something equally rubbish as their tips are meant to push this up.

I don't like it but I'd feel awkward not doing it. I usually aim for 10%
I feel that those who have done a particularly good job should be rewarded for their extra hard work.

The best and most well received way of showing your appreciation is with a tip. I do not tip those who give a satisfactory service.
Reply 3
Why tip someone for a job I’m capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can, and do, cut my own hair. I did however, tip my urologist, because I am unable to pulverise my own kidney stones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by DiddyDec
I feel that those who have done a particularly good job should be rewarded for their extra hard work.

The best and most well received way of showing your appreciation is with a tip. I do not tip those who give a satisfactory service.

But how does it make sense to apply this to waiters but nothing else? Do you also tip hairdressers who give a particularly good haircut, or baristas, or taxi drivers?
Original post by Birkenhead
But how does it make sense to apply this to waiters but nothing else? Do you also tip hairdressers who give a particularly good haircut, or baristas, or taxi drivers?

I've been known to tip taxi drivers :smile: and occasionally hairdressers

agree that it's as you answered yourself, miserliness of the establishment
The only time I tip is when I like the food and if I know I'm going to go back there another time.
Reply 7
No one ever tipped me for saving their child's life when I was a lifeguard.. So why would I tip someone for carrying food they didn't prepare to my table?

Aren't all those jobs that you just mentioned also very commonly tipped?

I do tip taxi drivers if they actually have a conversation with me instead of talking on the phone like a prick.

And I have been known to tip hairdressers if they have been friendly.

I tip lots of people because I am generous.
Reply 10
Original post by rotkäppchen
Aren't all those jobs that you just mentioned also very commonly tipped?

Certainly not very commonly. Waiting tables is as far as I know the only job which carries a widespread expectation of tipping. Hairdressers, baristas and taxi drivers expect only a fixed charge service, I believe.
I find it irritating that I'm expected to tip even if my waiter hasn't done anything to earn it. I only tip when I want to, in the past I've been pressured into it, and when they've obviously gone out of their way to give me good service i.e. quick service, are friendly and especially if my food was made well.
I tip for restaurants and hairdressers because I like to give a little extra for them doing a job that improved my day, or better than I expected. Their pay is poor as well, so that helps.
To get a good service next time.

I actually do to be honest. If there's a service I like that is close in my area and I don't want it to shut down I tip to support it. You get treated way better as well.
As you say to top up their wages.
Reply 16
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I've been known to tip taxi drivers :smile: and occasionally hairdressers

agree that it's as you answered yourself, miserliness of the establishment

Original post by Arkasia
I tip for restaurants and hairdressers because I like to give a little extra for them doing a job that improved my day, or better than I expected. Their pay is poor as well, so that helps.

Original post by Paladian
As you say to top up their wages.

So we are compensating for their poor pay...shouldn't we therefore boycott tips to pressure their employers to pay them proper wages so that we don't have to make up for it?
So we are compensating for their poor pay...shouldn't we therefore boycott tips to pressure their employers to pay them proper wages so that we don't have to make up for it?

No I don't think that would work, a local chain cafe - we have about five cafes in town four of which are independently run - pays the manager/ess minimum wage so I don't think they could care less about the conditions that workers work under. Giving a tip is just a nice gesture that compliments their service.

doubt that'd work. A lot of waiters are young and in their first job, they'd be scared to ask for a rise and provided they receive minimum wage if they're over 16 not much can be done about it legally. Publicly complaining about it would be a sackable offence, and surely you know the power of corporatism (since a lot of these restaurants are corporation-owned chains)
Original post by jakeel1
I actually do to be honest. If there's a service I like that is close in my area and I don't want it to shut down I tip to support it. You get treated way better as well.

I think this is an interesting point. Is the tip to the waiter or to the establishment? I quite like the idea of wait staff being paid a high enough basic wage that they don't need tips. But what could be interesting is an establishment with reasonable prices that don't frighten people away, but if you want to pay more that is appreciated. Like a modified version of pay-as-you-feel (or can afford).

Quick Reply