The Student Room Group

Is the Oxford MAT basically C1+C2?

Had a look at the syllabus: https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/syllabus.pdf

Seems to literally just be topics from AQA AS C1 and C2.

Can anyone who has sat it confirm?
You can see some past papers here :smile: http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/oxb.htm
Original post by Bobjim12
Had a look at the syllabus: https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/syllabus.pdf

Seems to literally just be topics from AQA AS C1 and C2.

Can anyone who has sat it confirm?

I don't know what's on AQA's syllabus, but when I sat the exam I remember the content being Edexcel C1 & C2.
Reply 3
Original post by ThatPerson
I don't know what's on AQA's syllabus, but when I sat the exam I remember the content being Edexcel C1 & C2.

Was it among the same difficulty of questions in past C1/2 papers?
Was it among the same difficulty of questions in past C1/2 papers?

No. The MAT is much more challenging and abstract. Have you had a look at some papers? (Though it's probably not the best idea to start now - you'll run out of papers). You might want to look at the first specimen paper.
Reply 5
No. The MAT is much more challenging and abstract. Have you had a look at some papers? (Though it's probably not the best idea to start now - you'll run out of papers). You might want to look at the first specimen paper.

i just had a quick look, and i feel sick.
i just had a quick look, and i feel sick.

Do you want to do a maths degree? (and If so, what universities?)
Reply 7
Do you want to do a maths degree? (and If so, what universities?)

No, Computer Science at Oxford.
No, Computer Science at Oxford.

From what I've read, compsci can be very abstract and theoretical, which is why Oxford want a high level of mathematical ability.

There's not much advice I can give except to say that don't worry if the questions seem hard now, you have 9 months (though you'll still probably find the paper challenging when you do it :tongue:). Doing any difficult maths between now and then will only help you.
Reply 9
From what I've read, compsci can be very abstract and theoretical, which is why Oxford want a high level of mathematical ability.

There's not much advice I can give except to say that don't worry if the questions seem hard now, you have 9 months (though you'll still probably find the paper challenging when you do it :tongue:). Doing any difficult maths between now and then will only help you.

What has thrown me off is the lack of space for working out, so i am assuming i am supposed to see a relation with the question to the answers given straight away...
What has thrown me off is the lack of space for working out, so i am assuming i am supposed to see a relation with the question to the answers given straight away...

On the actual exam paper there is more space for working out on the extended questions then you can see on the papers posted online. Though there is not much for the multiple choice, because generally not a huge amount of working is required to get the answer. This (obviously) doesn't mean that the questions are simple though.

One important point is that the marks on the extended questions are weighted; the first part is not worth many marks.
Reply 11
On the actual exam paper there is more space for working out on the extended questions then you can see on the papers posted online. Though there is not much for the multiple choice, because generally not a huge amount of working is required to get the answer. This (obviously) doesn't mean that the questions are simple though.

One important point is that the marks on the extended questions are weighted; the first part is not worth many marks.

Ah ok, still, this has me completely stumped. :/

bye bye Oxford :frown:
Reply 12
Ah ok, still, this has me completely stumped. :/

bye bye Oxford :frown:

Don't give up on it yet, worth practising. And there's always the better uni anyway (whoo Cambridge!), who don't use admissions tests. It is of course very difficult to get into Oxford, the average CompSci with an interview this year had a higher MAT score than the average Mathmo.
Reply 13
Original post by TVIO
Don't give up on it yet, worth practising. And there's always the better uni anyway (whoo Cambridge!), who don't use admissions tests. It is of course very difficult to get into Oxford, the average CompSci with an interview this year had a higher MAT score than the average Mathmo.

Cambridge want A*A*A though which is gonna be tough, but i would say easier than that bloody MAT!!
Hi

Yes, I'm afraid that the MAT is meant to be tough. The mathematical knowledge and techniques required to do the questions are taken from a syllabus roughly corresponding to the C1 and C2 modules from A-level maths, though the questions are set more variously than A-level questions. To give you a rough idea, those who were shortlisted for interview over the last couple of years got 55+ in the test. Those who were offered places averaged in the 70s. So don't expect to be getting the kind of scores you might be used to getting for GCSE/AS papers. As a couple of people said above, it's worth practicing.

Quite a few of the Cambridge colleges require STEP, so it's worth looking into that if you're considering Cambridge.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest