The Student Room Group

Why do we tip waiters?

Scroll to see replies

I hate it when you pay with notes and they say 'do you want the change?'. I would have tipped you anyway, but the fact I now feel like I have no choice and will look tight if I say yes is annoying
Reply 41
Original post by limetang
I don't. Its a symptom of american culture seeping into ours and is something that has absolutely no place in this culture. The reasons for tipping as in America don't exist here. All waiters and waitresses must by law be paid at least the minimum wage, and it also to me seems a bit perverse that Even in cases of exceptional service that it is customary to tip the person who brings me my food but not the person who has made it.

The whole situation in America is in itself a bit bizarre to be honest, but because the system is as it is there with service I wouldn't not tip purely because that person does need to get paid and it's not happening unless I tip.

This.

I'm not their employer; it's not my responsibilities to pay their salary. I'm not going to a cafe to give charity to a person that's capable of fending for themselves. If they want to spit at my food, I'll have a word with the local police if I caught one if these pests contaminating my food or other people's food without even a pinch of remorse.

I find it bizarre the a lot of the posters here give tip actually.

Oh, BTW, I worked at a restaurant before, and NO, I'd never asked for extra money from people I don't know.
Reply 42
Original post by DiddyDec
I feel that those who have done a particularly good job should be rewarded for their extra hard work.

The best and most well received way of showing your appreciation is with a tip. I do not tip those who give a satisfactory service.

Really? I've never tipped and I never will. I pay for the service, not for someone doing their job at the standard they're already being paid to adhere to. If they feel they're not paid enough; they should find another job. Why do I need to show 'appreciation'? That makes no sense to me...
Original post by baldwel
I hate it when you pay with notes and they say 'do you want the change?'. I would have tipped you anyway, but the fact I now feel like I have no choice and will look tight if I say yes is annoying

Never had anybody said that to me and if they did, then any chance of getting a tip would probably go unless they did a very, very good job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shaka33
Really? I've never tipped and I never will. I pay for the service, not for someone doing their job at the standard they're already being paid to adhere to. If they feel they're not paid enough; they should find another job. Why do I need to show 'appreciation'? That makes no sense to me...

I don't pay for the service I expect. I pay for the service I don't expect.

When I can sit for 3 hours in a restaurant and never have my glass empty, that it good service. I don't even need to ask the waiter they do it without you even noticing. That is the sort of service I pay extra for. When you are racking up bills for £700, a £20 tip makes no difference to you, but it will make a big difference to person who receives it.

Not only do I tip the serving staff but on occasions I have tipped the owners as this allows you to gain favour with them if it is an establishment which you wish to return to as it can grant you better deals and free drinks on arrival.

When you have spare money, you may as well share it.
So they don't spit on your food the next time you go there
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
So they don't spit on your food the next time you go there

See that's the thing. They shouldn't do that and it's despicable people do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't tip unless I'm served exceptionally well. My dad still pays for my haircuts and he tells me to tip him all the time though.
Original post by Birkenhead
So we are compensating for their poor pay...shouldn't we therefore boycott tips to pressure their employers to pay them proper wages so that we don't have to make up for it?

-> higher prices.
Why pay them more for something they should be doing anyway? If you tip the waiters/waitresses, why not tip everyone that's basically doing their job?

Why not tip the doctor for your checkup? The receptionist who made you the appointment? The pharmacist who took the prescription to give you medicine? The bin man for taking away your bins containing empty bottles of medicine?

Surely, on that logic, everyone else should be getting tips as opposed to just someone who carries food to a table? I'm sure the person that put time and effort into creating the meal would like a tip too. Where do we draw the line?
Reply 50
Original post by RainbowKiwi
I'm sure the person that put time and effort into creating the meal would like a tip too.

Actually the person who made the food is more deserving of the tip since they are the one who made the food but even they don't/won't get any tip. They have a tip, it's called a salary!
Original post by Birkenhead
But how does it make sense to apply this to waiters but nothing else? Do you also tip hairdressers who give a particularly good haircut, or baristas, or taxi drivers?

Yes. If they did a good job and I can afford it. Services I usually tip , even if only a small amount. It's a token.
I don't tip; I need every penny I can get tbh. I barely eat at proper restaurants though so it isn't much of an issue.
It's normal (atleast in london) to tip any service worker.

Eg hairdressers, waiters, bar staff, taxi drivers.
Original post by kka25
Actually the person who made the food is more deserving of the tip since they are the one who made the food but even they don't/won't get any tip. They have a tip, it's called a salary!

Yep they get paid on average 3-4x what a waiter does so I think they're okay for money! Lol
Original post by Cutty
Why tip someone for a job I’m capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can, and do, cut my own hair.

If you wanted to get your own food, you wouldn't be having a meal out. If you wanted to drive yourself, you wouldn't be getting a taxi.

Anyway, you don't HAVE to tip people. I personally believe that some jobs, particularly for students in waiting jobs, are worth way more than they're paid for them. I mean, they are on their feet all night and get yelled at by A LOT of people.

Sometimes I can only give £1 on top of the bill, but if every table they waited on did that, they'd get at least a little bonus by the end of the night, so it's better than nothing!
Original post by limetang
How is it expected to tip taxi drivers? I'm paying for them to drive me from point A to point B and if they do that successfully they get paid the agreed upon amount. Like any other business transaction. I mean I might think differently if they'd gone out there way to do something I would t reasonably expect them to do (like driving me to the airport at 4am or something), but in the case of normal service it makes no sense.

I don't know, It just is round where I live (Birmingham)

Especially if they are chatty or don't charge much.

How about driving you and your absolutely smashed friends around? I would always tip for that by way of apology...
Original post by Ikidyounot.
Tipping waiters in the UK is ridiculous.

Firstly, you rarely ever get good service in the average restaurant. It's just not the British way. Compare to American service, and it's just embarrassing.

Secondly, in both US and UK, it's symptomatic of poor wages in the first place, which ought to be main priority. The cost of a meal incorporates the expense of running a restaurant, which includes wages. Or it ought to. That's why whipping up your favourite dish at home is nearly always less expensive than eating out. To then ask for a pittance to supplement the wages is poor.

Finally, I've travelled, a lot, and know that tipping etiquette here is entangled with our class system, and the notion of 'dining out' which is a massive deal for Brits, in a way it is isn't on the continent, to take an example. We don't eat as well here generally, and the mere fact of eating a meal in a restaurant is seen as a mark of class and distinction which is quite amusing. So therefore, you must tip the waiter, because you can afford to, and it's the thing to be done. Not doing so is considered to be classless.

I'm fine with tipping in average restaurants Italy, or elsewhere, maybe because I'm not Italian, but also because they offer a level of service you don't get here, unless you go somewhere exclusive.

Or perhaps you go to poor british restaurants?

I don't tip in Nando's but in claridges,I do.
Original post by Ikidyounot.
Hahaha. I don't consider Nando's to be an average restaurant, or a restaurant at all, for that matter.

Fair enough! By average i thought you meant chain style.
Reply 59
Because they are poorly paid and it encourages them to act an obsequious or flirtatious way which fuels egos.

Quick Reply

Latest