The Student Room Group

Why do we tip waiters?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Birkenhead
Why do we tip waiters? Why are we expected to?

Are we simply making up for the miserliness of the establishment managers who employ them? It isn't expected in any other career, and I'm curious why it is such a fixed expectation of this one.

I thought it was to provide an incentive for them to provide good service.
Original post by Ikidyounot.
Some chains fall into that category, which again demonstrates the state of British food industry. We have this conversation a lot in our family! We like our food :biggrin:

And again, not saying you never get good service. Not statistically possible or fair. You're more likely to get good service in a family run pub, for instance, or independent bistro, than a Zizzi's branch, for example.

But generally, it's just not normal, which is why a big deal is always made of good food, like good restaurants or the new street food culture. It's the way it is, I think. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a British quirk.

It's weird as I recently went to the U.S. and I had appalling service in pretty much every restaurant we went to. I personally like british politeness and attention to detail and most of all, leaving me alone whilst I have dinner with my partner.

In the US they were always coming over and chatting to us. I'm not there to have dinner and a chat with them, I'm paying them to bring me wine when my glass is empty and bring my food so I can chat with my partner.

The above behaviour doesn't occur in the UK so if I go to a restaurant and they achieve what I just said, I will tip them purelu for respecting the fact I'm having quality time wjth my partner and they are their to facilitate that with good service.
Original post by Zarek
Because they are poorly paid and it encourages them to act an obsequious or flirtatious way which fuels egos.

If it were because they are poorly paid, we'd tip people who work at McDonalds.
Yeah, that is pretty weird.

Well there you go. Horses for courses ey.

Basically this all depends on the kind of restaurants you go to.
Original post by SnooFnoo
It's weird as I recently went to the U.S. and I had appalling service in pretty much every restaurant we went to. I personally like british politeness and attention to detail and most of all, leaving me alone whilst I have dinner with my partner.

In the US they were always coming over and chatting to us. I'm not there to have dinner and a chat with them, I'm paying them to bring me wine when my glass is empty and bring my food so I can chat with my partner.

The above behaviour doesn't occur in the UK so if I go to a restaurant and they achieve what I just said, I will tip them purelu for respecting the fact I'm having quality time wjth my partner and they are their to facilitate that with good service.

This is the norm in the States, because there it's generally what diners like.
Original post by TurboCretin
This is the norm in the States, because there it's generally what people like.

That's great but if we ask them to leave us be, I expect them to respect that after all, I'm the one paying.
Original post by SnooFnoo
That's great but if we ask them to leave us be, I expect them to respect that after all, I'm the one paying.

Is that what happened?
Yes buuut I've been to a lot, and in different countries. So I notice patterns and trends, you see.

Me too. I'm incredibly well travelled like yourself. In Italy (using your eg) the food was amazing....the service was poor so I tended to have a mediocre night, in Greece the food was mediocre but the service was amazing=much better night and much more likely to tip.

I tip for good service as it enhances my whole experience of the evening. Particularly if they go out of their way to ensure i have a pleasant night.

And particularly in the nice restaurants/hotels in london, they get paid similarly to restaurant jobs outside of London, but OfCourse they offer a much higher standard of service so again I will tip them.
Is that what happened?

Yes.
Reply 69
If it were because they are poorly paid, we'd tip people who work at McDonalds.

Hard for them to adopt the appropriate behaviours and personalise the service across a fast food counter. Plus I imagined that the great McD pays handsomely..
In this country do what you want, in the US I would say tip because they are paid sub minimum wage.

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
If you wanted to get your own food, you wouldn't be having a meal out. If you wanted to drive yourself, you wouldn't be getting a taxi.

Anyway, you don't HAVE to tip people. I personally believe that some jobs, particularly for students in waiting jobs, are worth way more than they're paid for them. I mean, they are on their feet all night and get yelled at by A LOT of people.

Sometimes I can only give £1 on top of the bill, but if every table they waited on did that, they'd get at least a little bonus by the end of the night, so it's better than nothing!

This is typical middle class entitlement. :laugh: Being a student with a part time job is a privilege, imagine you were a single mother working as a cleaner or a carer or worse working as an agricultural worker in South America, in the textile industry in South Asia or a child soldier in Africa. Those folks don't get tips. Honestly it's the most piss easy mindless job ever.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by yo radical one
In this country do what you want, in the US I would say tip because they are paid sub minimum wage.

Technically yes and no.

In the US if your tips don't take you to minimum wage your employer has to pay the difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by reallydontknow
Technically yes and no.

In the US if your tips don't take you to minimum wage your employer has to pay the difference

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well **** that **** then, if I'm never gonna see them again, Mr Restaurant owner can sort it. I thought they would end up struggling to feed their children or something.

I tip at my favourite restaurant :love: but only there, nowhere else :colonhash:
(edited 9 years ago)
I never tip in the UK.

Always do in the USA.
Reply 74
I always wondered the same thing. A lot of jobs are hard and have low pay but we only tip some of them for some reason.
If people reward good service that acts as a profit incentive to encourage more good service. If no one tipped waiters, then they would just turn up and do a half-hearted job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a waitress and receiving my share of the tips every month makes me happy because it means that people were happy with their service and they wanted to do something nice. Not everyone tips and it wouldn't bother me if no one did. It's just a nice gesture.
Reply 77
I do tip when I feel I've had good service but I have always wondered why we tip people who are being paid to do that job.

I also really dislike the 10%-12.5% service charge that is automatically added onto your bill by certain establishments, especially if I've had poor service! I imagine it rarely goes to the waiting staff anyway and it is always a song and dance to remove even though it is apparently "discretionary".
Reply 78
I thought it was to provide an incentive for them to provide good service.

I thought that function was already performed by their salary and the prospect of
losing it if they're crap
Original post by Birkenhead
I thought that function was already performed by their salary and the prospect of
losing it if they're crap

Their employer wants them to serve efficiently, the customers want them to be polite, helpful and all that stuff. So two sources of profit incentive are needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest