The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Oh god I am so torn between DMU and Marjon. Does anyone know anymore about the whole dysphasia training? Because I feel as though that is a crucial factor
Original post by JordanC55
What are your conditions haha?

My conditions were turning in my previous uni transcripts, which I will do. I submitted my actual degree scans, but not the transcripts, I had asked before whether they wanted them, but the admissions just said the degrees would be enough proof. Anyhow, I will send the transcripts along.

The other two were some paperwork stuff for DBS clearance/health check, but those said DMU has to send the paperwok out. I assume this is for everyone?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hello everyone, hope you're all getting the offers flooding in! Finally got feedback from BCU for my rejection...
Question 1 lacked detail, as did question 4 and 7!
Not very constructive but I appreciate they are busy people..
Will be trying again next year with more life experiences up my sleeve xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just to clarify, all courses that lead to professional registration have to meet a minimum level of dysphagia content. Marjon offers an additional level of teaching that (as far as I know - any marjon grads feel free to correct me on this) qualifies you to work with dysphagia, whereas other places you need to do additional postgraduate study.

When you qualify, if you are looking for a job in a setting where dysphagia is common, that extra content will probably advantage you in getting the job. However, you will still need to start in an nqp band 5 post and have all your competencies checked off.

The vast majority of workplaces that have high levels of dysphagia will push you through your dysphagia competencies pretty fast because it's in their interests to do so. It's not like going back to university to do a masters - most dysphagia courses are distance learning, part time with a few study days and assignments to hand in that you complete alongside your job and the clinical parts are signed off by your supervisor. Added bonus being that most employers, especially the NHS, will have it in their professional development budget to fund that for you.

Don't let the dysphagia teaching sway your decision. It's not difficult to do that extra training if you get a job in an acute or LD setting, and if you're not in one of these settings (or a few others) it's not really worth your while anyway, you'll never use it. If you're confused, look on the RCSLT website for dysphagia training and competencies framework. :smile:
Really?! Is not if you're Scottish though?

Yep, the fees of rUK students are still £9,000 but are paid for by the Scottish Health Directory (or something like that)
It's really not put clearly on the website at all as to what the deal is for rUK students!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrsMoonie
Hello everyone, hope you're all getting the offers flooding in! Finally got feedback from BCU for my rejection...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi MrsMoonie! Thanks so much for this info, it'll certainly help people like me who have yet to interview. Hope your plans work out for next year and thanks again for coming back with an update!
I feel like I'm really happy with DMU and they've been so organised and it's half a year less! However, if I were to get an interview I think I'd still go to give it a chance; but I'm not sure I would wanna go to a uni where they didn't really want me, if that makes sense? Dmu obviously do, so I feel a bit more appreciated :.(

ah, okay fair enough! Even as a city in general I'd prefer Manchester for shopping and links etc.

yeah i I am the same with Newcastle, the biology put me off.

That totally makes sense! That's a bit how I feel with both Birmingham and Manchester met! But at the same time I did love Leeds when I went for an open day..!
To be honest, I've fully prepared myself for a rejection from them. So if I do get an interview I'll be shocked!
DMU sounds good - I wish I had applied there!
Birminghams half a year less than Manchester met which is appealing to me too! We'll see how it all turns out in the next few weeks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by juliewho
Just to clarify, all courses that lead to professional registration have to meet a minimum level of dysphagia content. Marjon offers an additional level of teaching that (as far as I know - any marjon grads feel free to correct me on this) qualifies you to work with dysphagia, whereas other places you need to do additional postgraduate study.

When you qualify, if you are looking for a job in a setting where dysphagia is common, that extra content will probably advantage you in getting the job. However, you will still need to start in an nqp band 5 post and have all your competencies checked off.

The vast majority of workplaces that have high levels of dysphagia will push you through your dysphagia competencies pretty fast because it's in their interests to do so. It's not like going back to university to do a masters - most dysphagia courses are distance learning, part time with a few study days and assignments to hand in that you complete alongside your job and the clinical parts are signed off by your supervisor. Added bonus being that most employers, especially the NHS, will have it in their professional development budget to fund that for you.

Don't let the dysphagia teaching sway your decision. It's not difficult to do that extra training if you get a job in an acute or LD setting, and if you're not in one of these settings (or a few others) it's not really worth your while anyway, you'll never use it. If you're confused, look on the RCSLT website for dysphagia training and competencies framework. :smile:

Ah thank you! That makes it a bit more clear.
Hey all, just thought I would repost this table for people to update their offers /rejections if you would like to :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Speech_and_Language_Therapy_undergraduate_courses_2015
Hello :smile: Congrats to everyone who have received offers so far and good luck to those still waiting! I have had an offer from Cardiff MET and am trying to figure out how to apply for NHS funding as I have no idea how it works or how I get it (does it happen automatically or no?). I found out that I am also entitled to a £1000.

I am a postgraduate and had a loan from Student Finance Wales before.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks :smile: x
Original post by jredwards21
Hello :smile: Congrats to everyone who have received offers so far and good luck to those still waiting! I have had an offer from Cardiff MET and am trying to figure out how to apply for NHS funding as I have no idea how it works or how I get it (does it happen automatically or no?). I found out that I am also entitled to a £1000.

I am a postgraduate and had a loan from Student Finance Wales before.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks :smile: x

Well done on your offer, I know this is the one you wanted! Wont be seeing you at Birmingham in September after all.
I don't think you can apply for the NHS funding until after the end of the financial year when you have details of your previous years earnings / partners or parents, depending on circumstances. There is a website, if you Google NHS bursary it will come up and seems fairly self explanatory. If you fill in estimated salary details it will will give you an estimate of the amount that you will be entitled to.
Original post by MrsMoonie

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear that the feedback wasn't very constructive. You'll have a better idea of the process next year and hopefully will receive an early offer. Good luck!
Reply 2452
I had a conditional offer from BCU this week, so that's 2 offers from 2 applications. I'm putting BCU as my first choice as it is much closer to home and as a (very!) mature student I don't really want to move to another city at this stage. DMU will be my insurance place, as both offers are conditional on grades in my ACCESS course.

It's great to see so many offers coming in. Hope those of you who are waiting for interviews and offers hear positive news soon.
Really pleased for you and looking forward to meeting you in September (subject to us meeting our conditions). Great, I wont be the only older mature student there!
Original post by mrsrev
I had a conditional offer from BCU this week, so that's 2 offers from 2 applications. I'm putting BCU as my first choice as it is much closer to home and as a (very!) mature student I don't really want to move to another city at this stage. DMU will be my insurance place, as both offers are conditional on grades in my ACCESS course.

It's great to see so many offers coming in. Hope those of you who are waiting for interviews and offers hear positive news soon.

Congrats on the offers! :biggrin: I hope you have a great study experience at BCU. :smile:
Reply 2455
Original post by izzydizzyyy
Is anyone else studying an access course at the moment?

Yes - it is really intense, but as a group we are holding on to the fact that the end is almost visible. I don't remember my A levels being this much work, but they were so long ago they might have been and I might have rose-tinted glasses on.

Hope you are coping with it OK.
Reply 2456
Original post by shropshirelass51
Really pleased for you and looking forward to meeting you in September (subject to us meeting our conditions). Great, I wont be the only older mature student there!

From reading some of your posts, I think we already know each other through the Stroke Organisation in Stafford!

Will be good to study together in Sept.
Original post by mrsrev
Yes - it is really intense, but as a group we are holding on to the fact that the end is almost visible. I don't remember my A levels being this much work, but they were so long ago they might have been and I might have rose-tinted glasses on.

Hope you are coping with it OK.

Yes I think A levels have no where near the same amount of coursework!!! The end is almost visible yes - I can't wait! Congratulations of your offer btw :smile:
Original post by mrsrev
From reading some of your posts, I think we already know each other through the Stroke Organisation in Stafford!

Will be good to study together in Sept.

Thought it might be you, but wasn't sure. Great!
Original post by Higlet
That totally makes sense! That's a bit how I feel with both Birmingham and Manchester met! But at the same time I did love Leeds when I went for an open day..!
To be honest, I've fully prepared myself for a rejection from them. So if I do get an interview I'll be shocked!
DMU sounds good - I wish I had applied there!
Birminghams half a year less than Manchester met which is appealing to me too! We'll see how it all turns out in the next few weeks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like I benefit from not having seen the place in person! So I have no clue as to what I'm missing; if I loved it I feel it would be a lot worse haha! I get you about the prep for the rejection as I feel like I can take it now! It's made a bit easier by being happy with DMU! It's just annoying that it's in clearing.

Exactly, you have more than enough time and who knows! Leeds might shock you :,)

Quick Reply

Latest