The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
I want Leonard Williams to be a Jag. Blake Bortles is ****ed if for 4 games every season he either has Leonard chasing after him or JJ Watt and Clowney in tandem. If Williams is gone and they take Randy Gregory at #3 my toys are going to be flying out of the pram. I just don't think he's the best guy on the board. Especially after weighing in at the combine so light.
Original post by jammy4041

Randy Gregory better prove that he belongs as a linebacker, because he had a shocker. He was listed at 240lbs for Nebraska, but he started combine training at 218lbs. TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN POUNDS. Jesus. You have Landon Collins at 225lbs, and he's a safety! Gregory, as an OUTSIDE LINEBACKER, has no such excuse. He got up to around 243lbs, but has been sick, so is back down to 235lbs.

It's a huge issue, because he can't keep the weight on. He was expected to be around 247-253lbs at least. He has so much upside as a pass rusher, considering his length, but wow....I'd fear he'd struggle at 235lbs in a 3-4 scheme, because it's so marginal. As a 4-3 OLB, it's even more tricky, because generally 4-3 LBs are expected to cover much more than 3-4 OLBs.

Damn, I was about to post saying that 235 is not bad at all for an OLB who can cover since it's Lavonte David's exact weight or close to it. I didn't realise this guy was 6'5. Did his weight fluctuate that much during the combine weekend? 218 to 243 to 235? Cos if so that sounds like he's just ill. I would imagine this situation will get better as he gets older, but yeah in terms of being able to contribute now being less than 240 at 6'5 is a pretty bad idea if you plan on being able to tangle with NFL OTs and TEs.
Original post by SmashConcept
Damn, I was about to post saying that 235 is not bad at all for an OLB who can cover since it's Lavonte David's exact weight or close to it. I didn't realise this guy was 6'5. Did his weight fluctuate that much during the combine weekend? 218 to 243 to 235? Cos if so that sounds like he's just ill. I would imagine this situation will get better as he gets older, but yeah in terms of being able to contribute now being less than 240 at 6'5 is a pretty bad idea if you plan on being able to tangle with NFL OTs and TEs.

218 was when he started training for the combine...I don't know when that was. And then he got back up to 243, like a week ago. 243 to 238 (I have 235 a lot as well) does sound like sickness..but it's very concerning that he isn't at his college weight...it suggests that he can't maintain it...

He's pretty much just known for his pass rush. He had a nice 40 yard dash, and some nice cone drills... he's got to show me more. A 3-4 team will take a chance on him. Not worth it in a 4-3. I've seen some von Miller comparisons, but it's hog wash, especially th suggestion that he would be used in a similar way. Von Miller was always 245+, and is currently around 260.

I saw a comparison, a week or so ago, comparing Gregory to Dion Jordan, the so-far bust that the Dolphins picked up a couple of years ago by Miami in the draft, but he was bigger. At the time I thought it was bull, but putting it all together...makes it hard to justify him as a top pick.

I hope he can get it together, and have a better pro-day, but, there's that asterix on him now.

In contrast, Vic Beasley bossed the combine. I'd take him top-10 in I was a 3-4 team in need of a rusher. He'd be the first guy on my board. And then the likes of Shane Ray. Eli Harold may just have moved himself into the first, with his excellent combine...I had him at the top and in the middle of the second round, but he'll probably go even higher now.

Beasley has always played stronger than his size, but 35 reps is just ridiculous. That's even more than most, if not all, of the lineman in this class. Yes, Bench press isn't perfect, but it shows their character. How willing are they to get in the weight room and get better, to be the best NFL prospect they can be? 35 reps of 225lbs, is very impressive, and Vic Beasley just wants it more.

In terms of 4-3 ends, Dante Fowler Jr. would be the first guy I would look for. After that, I'm taking a gamble on Alvin Dupree. Wow, he most certainly rocked the Casbah with his performance at the combine. Almost Jadeveon Clowney numbers. Having said that, he's a little raw, but wow, what an athlete. Worth taking the chance on.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wattsy
I want Leonard Williams to be a Jag. Blake Bortles is ****ed if for 4 games every season he either has Leonard chasing after him or JJ Watt and Clowney in tandem. If Williams is gone and they take Randy Gregory at #3 my toys are going to be flying out of the pram. I just don't think he's the best guy on the board. Especially after weighing in at the combine so light.

You see, that's the same logic Tennessee should use to draft Williams. Only, they would need a response to JJ Watt, Clowney, Robert Mathis, Chris Clemons, Andre Branch and Red Bryant, that Mettenburger would have to face 6 games a season. They should just rename the division to AFC-Sacked.

Leonard Williams would be a start for them. I do see a lot of JJ Watt in him, and of course, you have to find a way to get him in the team whatever your scheme is.

Dante Fowler Jr. would honestly be the best choice at #3 if Williams isn't available.

Here's my first third round draft. I think Michael Bennett is too low in the third, I appreciate any of your feedback.

http://walterfootball.com/Mocks/Mock/32627/
I'm really leaning towards letting Lynch walk if we can't sort a deal by free agency.

Then I'd say try and get Cobb/Maclin/the best receiver on the market (with the exception of Bryant or Thomas probably), as well as Stefen Wisniewski. Stick Wisniewski in at guard for now but then we have a reliable starting level center if (i.e. when) Unger gets injured. Patrick Lewis and Lemuel Jeanpierre do not fit the bill.

Then I'd say take the best RB we can at 31 (hopefully Gurley but more likely Gordon). Then improve the O-Line in the second round and take another receiver third round. Cornerbacks (Maxwell is going, let's be honest), linebacking depth (Malcolm Smith probably gone too) and a kick returner after that (Walter is okay but he's not quite Devin Hester...)
See, aren't the DB drills fun? :biggrin: I like it when the DBs run the cone drills, and do the guantlet, do their backpedals and open their hips into the run.

My updated CB, after the combine.
1. Trae Waynes (speed to go with the height and physicality)
2. PJ Williams (would be a better press guy)
3. Jalen Collins (has the physical tools, but needs to use his hands; looked a sure tackler)
4. Ronald Darby (outstanding speed; overshadowed by PJ Williams but still a good corner in his own right.)
5. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (injured, unfortunately...so he slips)
6. Marcus Peters (look past the off-field issues...he has the physical tools to be a press corner; functional speed)
7. Kevin Johnson (a tall corner, with good, but not elite speed)
8. Doran Grant (excellent speed to go with his physicality)
9. Alex Carter (excellent press/zone corner but lack elite speed to be a man-coverage corner)
10. Bryon Jones (wow....amazing combine; has a lot of lower body explosion).

Any of those guys can come in and contribute from day 1. They are worth taking in the first two rounds.

Safeties:
1. Landon Collins (nice combine, obvious pick)
2. Jaquiski Tartt.(coming out of an FCS school, but proved he belongs)
3. Derron Smith (physicality, and the best FS in this class)
4-whatever: Don't care.

Original post by cant_think_of_name
I'm really leaning towards letting Lynch walk if we can't sort a deal by free agency.

Then I'd say try and get Cobb/Maclin/the best receiver on the market (with the exception of Bryant or Thomas probably), as well as Stefen Wisniewski. Stick Wisniewski in at guard for now but then we have a reliable starting level center if (i.e. when) Unger gets injured. Patrick Lewis and Lemuel Jeanpierre do not fit the bill.

Then I'd say take the best RB we can at 31 (hopefully Gurley but more likely Gordon). Then improve the O-Line in the second round and take another receiver third round. Cornerbacks (Maxwell is going, let's be honest), linebacking depth (Malcolm Smith probably gone too) and a kick returner after that (Walter is okay but he's not quite Devin Hester...)

Seattle shouldn't get rid of Maxwell. If hits Free Agency on March 9th, he'll be a Steeler or a Raven by March 10th. Then, they can look to draft just the one corner to flesh out their secondaries.
(edited 9 years ago)
Seattle shouldn't get rid of Maxwell. If hits Free Agency on March 9th, he'll be a Steeler or a Raven by March 10th. Then, they can look to draft just the one corner to flesh out their secondaries.

Believe me, I'd love to keep him, but he (along with a few others - Revis, Cromartie etc.) are the cream of the free agent CB crop, and there are quite a few needy teams out there (Eagles, Falcons, Steelers, Ravens, Texans). He knows that he will be sought after and I just don't think we have the money to keep him, much as I'd like it
Will be interesting to see how much Revis gets.
Believe me, I'd love to keep him, but he (along with a few others - Revis, Cromartie etc.) are the cream of the free agent CB crop, and there are quite a few needy teams out there (Eagles, Falcons, Steelers, Ravens, Texans). He knows that he will be sought after and I just don't think we have the money to keep him, much as I'd like it

The Jets should make a move for Cromartie, and then draft a corner with their second pick. Trust the development of Dee Milliner (too early to pull the plug on him) and move Calvin Pryor to the top of the FS depth chart, and that's a secondary with a lot of promise. Getting a nickel corner will help.

I could see the Jags making a move in free agency for a corner, and a free safety...they have some nice pieces in the secondary.

Personally, I think the Falcons have some good corners. They're young, so it's always good to have veteran presence, but their issues come about because Paul Worrilow simply cannot cover, and they have had poor safety play. They need a new ILB, FS, and depth additions. I have a very high opinion of Desmond Trufant. He's part of the Trufant CB dynasty so that helps, but the development he showed this year was very impressive.

Chiefs are another option. They need a tall, physical corner and Maxwell would fit the bill.
The Jets should make a move for Cromartie, and then draft a corner with their second pick. Trust the development of Dee Milliner (too early to pull the plug on him) and move Calvin Pryor to the top of the FS depth chart, and that's a secondary with a lot of promise. Getting a nickel corner will help.

I could see the Jags making a move in free agency for a corner, and a free safety...they have some nice pieces in the secondary.

Personally, I think the Falcons have some good corners. They're young, so it's always good to have veteran presence, but their issues come about because Paul Worrilow simply cannot cover, and they have had poor safety play. They need a new ILB, FS, and depth additions. I have a very high opinion of Desmond Trufant. He's part of the Trufant CB dynasty so that helps, but the development he showed this year was very impressive.

Chiefs are another option. They need a tall, physical corner and Maxwell would fit the bill.

I can see Falcons more because of Dan Quinn than they need it. Maxwell and Trufant would be nasty though. I would bet on at least one of O'Brien Schofield, Malcolm Smith or Maxwell ending up in Georgia.
I can see Falcons more because of Dan Quinn than they need it. Maxwell and Trufant would be nasty though. I would bet on at least one of O'Brien Schofield, Malcolm Smith or Maxwell ending up in Georgia.

True...no matter how good your team may be, it's always good to upgrade. I appreciate your point...coaches will go with players they trust. For the same reason, the Jags with Gus Bradley would do well to target Bryon Maxwell as well. Schofield could be some solid, near-veteran minimum depth at DE. Malcom Smith might be a good addition, with starting upside at WLB.
Reply 571
True...no matter how good your team may be, it's always good to upgrade. I appreciate your point...coaches will go with players they trust. For the same reason, the Jags with Gus Bradley would do well to target Bryon Maxwell as well. Schofield could be some solid, near-veteran minimum depth at DE. Malcom Smith might be a good addition, with starting upside at WLB.

The Jags corners aren't terrible but Maxwell would be a good guy to have, McCray and Colvin are both young and doing well, Gratz is a bit iffy even as a nickel. The rest are purely depth guys so a bit more depth in the event of an injury would not hurt. The Jags need to deal with FS and TE in Free Agency. Lewis just can't do it anymore and Josh Evans is absolutely terrible.

In other news if AP becomes a Colt, imma cry. I don't feel like he should be in the league anyway but back on the Colts, that would be too much.
(edited 9 years ago)
Saw rumours demarco Murray is going free agent. :frown:

I was hoping cowboys could keep Romo, Bryant and Murray.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 573
Original post by Motorbiker
Saw rumours demarco Murray is going free agent. :frown:

I was hoping cowboys could keep Romo, Bryant and Murray.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The intrigue caused by the salary cap continues. I love that Cowboys fans think they can afford AP if they can't afford to keep Murray, it just doesn't compute. I think that Murray will end up in a good situation, I think he has to to justify his salary because I'm not convinced that he can be nearly as effective without a top class O-Line. I think you could put a rookie in Dallas next season and they could be effective. They're unlikely to be as effective as Murray but I don't feel like the drop off in skill will be that much with the stacked RB class. I think the RBs role will diminish in Dallas this season anyway, that number of carries aren't sustainable.
I don't understand why they are franchising Dez and losing Murray to be honest. I'm sure it is a no brainer for everyone else because nobody seems to be debating it so I must be missing something. The way I see it Dez needs to be locked up because he is virtually the face of the franchise and since Romo is old-ish and injury prone they will need Dez to allow his eventual successor to have a chance. Murray seems like an obvious franchise tag candidate since getting him on a one year deal as a top 5 back is very team friendly since he is actually (IMO) the top 1 back, but he has a limited shelf life and an awesome scheme fit. So IDK. I guess if locking up Dez isn't feasible at the moment then what they are doing is the right move. I am far from a salary cap expert.

With that said, I suppose they can draft someone for a lot less than 9m. The dropoff in skill between Murray and Randle was palpable because Randle didn't run like a zone back, so that's the danger if they just try to fill Murray's spot with anyone. If they tried to replace him cheaply they would definitely need a committee because you need to replace his power running/vision, his pass catching and his pass blocking. Their offense might lose a bit of flexibility.

Speaking of Romo's eventual successor, this sounds weird but if the Jets draft someone I would love Dallas to grab Geno Smith. He plays quite a similar style to Romo, he is a massive immediate upgrade on Weeden and actually has the potential to be good in the right situation. But even with his strong end to the season I think he's likely to be a backup this year, unless he starts for 5 weeks while Mariota sits or something.
I don't understand why they are franchising Dez and losing Murray to be honest. I'm sure it is a no brainer for everyone else because nobody seems to be debating it so I must be missing something. The way I see it Dez needs to be locked up because he is virtually the face of the franchise and since Romo is old-ish and injury prone they will need Dez to allow his eventual successor to have a chance. Murray seems like an obvious franchise tag candidate since getting him on a one year deal as a top 5 back is very team friendly since he is actually (IMO) the top 1 back, but he has a limited shelf life and an awesome scheme fit. So IDK. I guess if locking up Dez isn't feasible at the moment then what they are doing is the right move. I am far from a salary cap expert.

With that said, I suppose they can draft someone for a lot less than 9m. The dropoff in skill between Murray and Randle was palpable because Randle didn't run like a zone back, so that's the danger if they just try to fill Murray's spot with anyone. If they tried to replace him cheaply they would definitely need a committee because you need to replace his power running/vision, his pass catching and his pass blocking. Their offense might lose a bit of flexibility.

Speaking of Romo's eventual successor, this sounds weird but if the Jets draft someone I would love Dallas to grab Geno Smith. He plays quite a similar style to Romo, he is a massive immediate upgrade on Weeden and actually has the potential to be good in the right situation. But even with his strong end to the season I think he's likely to be a backup this year, unless he starts for 5 weeks while Mariota sits or something.

I kind of agree with you on the Geno front. Being a jet is not going to help his development as things stand. Having Weeden as a back up would strike fear into me if I was a cowboys fan, so it would probably suit all parties (minus Weeden) well.

As for Murray the #1 back in the league, I'm not too sure. Certainly was part of the best running game set up in the league last season though, and it would pay for them to keep him.
Original post by ..DT..
I kind of agree with you on the Geno front. Being a jet is not going to help his development as things stand. Having Weeden as a back up would strike fear into me if I was a cowboys fan, so it would probably suit all parties (minus Weeden) well.

As for Murray the #1 back in the league, I'm not too sure. Certainly was part of the best running game set up in the league last season though, and it would pay for them to keep him.

Well his only rival this year is Lynch IMO and there were retirement rumours there at one point. I think he's a bit more versatile than Lynch so I give him the edge.
Well his only rival this year is Lynch IMO and there were retirement rumours there at one point. I think he's a bit more versatile than Lynch so I give him the edge.

I think Le'Veon Bell and Jamaal Charles might have something to say about that!
I think Le'Veon Bell and Jamaal Charles might have something to say about that!

Considering I have all the games available to me I guess I should have more of an opinion on this than I do. I'll watch a couple of condensed games with those guys in this week if I can. The reason I think Murray is the best is because he actually played almost better than his stats suggest, and obviously his stats are outstanding.
Bell had a pretty impressive game vs the saints. Might be a good place to start.

Quick Reply

Latest