The Student Room Group

Why do we tip waiters?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Asklepios
Their employer wants them to serve efficiently, the customers want them to be polite, helpful and all that stuff. So two sources of profit incentive are needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Employers want them to deliver good customer service all round. Their incentive to do their job properly should be their salary as it is for everyone else.
Original post by Birkenhead
Employers want them to deliver good customer service all round. Their incentive to do their job properly should be their salary as it is for everyone else.

In a lot of other jobs the employees don't have to have much contact with the (often) hostile public
Reply 82
Original post by SnooFnoo
In a lot of other jobs the employees don't have to have much contact with the (often) hostile public

Retail is one job which involves more contact with the public, and they manage just fine without donations on top of their salary.
Retail is one job which involves more contact with the public, and they manage just fine without donations on top of their salary.

They get store discounts. Another form of incentive.
I thought that function was already performed by their salary and the prospect of
losing it if they're crap

If a salary's an incentive, why would earning more money not be?
I work in a restaurant, and I have to say a lot of Asians/easterners regularly leave no tip at all.

Not cool.
Original post by TurboCretin
If a salary's an incentive, why would earning more money not be?

They get their salary regardless of whether they smile or watch out for empty glassss to refill. A waiter can do the bare minimum and still get their salary.
I've got friends who work in restaurants and almost all of them get constantly ****ed around by their bosses and underpaid on irregular dates. One of my friends is still waiting for his first 3 months worth of pay, despite having worked there for over a year and making regular requests for his wages.

So yeah, I tip because I know that waiters/waitresses can get a pretty raw deal, which isn't really fair.
Original post by bad_moose
I've got friends who work in restaurants and almost all of them get constantly ****ed around by their bosses and underpaid on irregular dates. One of my friends is still waiting for his first 3 months worth of pay, despite having worked there for over a year and making regular requests for his wages.

So yeah, I tip because I know that waiters/waitresses can get a pretty raw deal, which isn't really fair.

So people have to tip, or feel obliged to tip because other people don't do what they're supposed to?

Surely it's against the law to not pay somebody?

Posted from TSR Mobile
They get store discounts. Another form of incentive.

A lot of waiting staff probably can get discounts if they asked. Or free meals even.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by reallydontknow
So people have to tip, or feel obliged to tip because other people don't do what they're supposed to?

Surely it's against the law to not pay somebody?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well no, there's no actual obligation to do it, I just feel that it's a nice thing to do. If someone's done a really good job of serving my food and making me feel at ease then I think they deserve it.

Yeah of course it's illegal, doesn't seem to stop it happening though. :mad: I'm sure he'll get it sorted eventually, it's just a bit unfair to drag it out for so long.
I don't and stand my ground if asked to buy others who are with me.
Original post by SMEGGGY
I don't and stand my ground if asked to buy others who are with me.

Do your friends make dinner plans with you much? I wouldn't. That's so rude and embarassing and cheap.
Original post by ShariahProject
I work in a restaurant, and I have to say a lot of Asians/easterners regularly leave no tip at all.

Not cool.

Good

Hate this US repulsive ways creeping into British customs.
Do your friends make dinner plans with you much? I wouldn't. That's so rude and embarrassing and cheap.

Yes they do. Cheap? to you maybe. I'll do as I please.
I don't mind tipping waiters but it does annoy me how it's an expectation. Social convention usually dictates me to tip 10% every time when really there's only a small proportion I would actually like to tip. I only tip hairdressers or taxi drivers if they did a really good job/ I enjoyed myself or something similar. It's also odd how society tip waiters even though some customers, such as students, don't earn as much as they do.
Original post by bad_moose
Well no, there's no actual obligation to do it, I just feel that it's a nice thing to do. If someone's done a really good job of serving my food and making me feel at ease then I think they deserve it.

Yeah of course it's illegal, doesn't seem to stop it happening though. :mad: I'm sure he'll get it sorted eventually, it's just a bit unfair to drag it out for so long.

Well it seems like he's been dealing with it for too long, around 9 months. So really, he should have reported it or something. And it should have been sorted by now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
cba to check if this has been posted but:

[video="youtube;V4sbYy0WdGQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4sbYy0WdGQ[/video]

Totally changed my perspective on life.
They get their salary regardless of whether they smile or watch out for empty glassss to refill. A waiter can do the bare minimum and still get their salary.

I know...I'm saying tips incentivise better service.
Original post by reallydontknow
Well it seems like he's been dealing with it for too long, around 9 months. So really, he should have reported it or something. And it should have been sorted by now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yeah ideally all of that would have happened, but his circumstances limit his time to the extent that it really isn't an option to mess around with Police reports and court appearances. Other people's lives aren't always as black and white as you appear to think.

Anyway, the reason that I tip is because waiters tend to get treated unfairly and if they do a good job then I'm happy to put a couple of extra quid onto my bill to help them out. The vast majority of the people I know feel the same way and don't have a problem with tipping.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending