The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know the position on A level maths taken in Y12?

Natsci physical applicant doing FM and FM (add) in Y13
Original post by Random1357

They don't really care - but won't make allowances for a lower grade because it was taken early. As you are doing FM later on I would assume you will be completely fine. :smile:
If you click on the 'Qualifications taken early' tab here you can see their full statement.
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/academic.html
Reply 1942

Original post by a_quiet_person
They don't really care - but won't make allowances for a lower grade because it was taken early. As you are doing FM later on I would assume you will be completely fine. :smile:
If you click on the 'Qualifications taken early' tab here you can see their full statement.
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/academic.html

They do care, they excluded my A* in maths a level done in y12 from my offer, I need A*A*A from my remaining A levels as well as the A* I've already got.
Original post by TVIO
They do care, they excluded my A* in maths a level done in y12 from my offer, I need A*A*A from my remaining A levels as well as the A* I've already got.

Oh - that sucks. I was always told it wouldn't matter :/
Does that apply to every offer? what did you apply for?
Original post by Velvetgh0st
Jocelyn Bell-Burnell was our special guest at our school prize day last year, I shook her hand :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

WOW. I am insanely jealous. :smile:
Original post by KythingToWrite
Yay for astrophysics!
... That's really all I wanted to say :tongue:

It's literally the best thing ever tbh :tongue:
Reply 1946
Oh - that sucks. I was always told it wouldn't matter :/
Does that apply to every offer? what did you apply for?

No, it's not ALWAYS true. My mathmo friend for King's has an offer of A*A*A inc. the A* from last year (he also has STEP of course). I've gone for computer science with maths and I need A*A*A excluding maths a level and STEP.
Original post by TVIO
No, it's not ALWAYS true. My mathmo friend for King's has an offer of A*A*A inc. the A* from last year (he also has STEP of course). I've gone for computer science with maths and I need A*A*A excluding maths a level and STEP.

Although arguably they would have asked for A*A*A*A if not so no real advantage!
Has anyone booked some of the masterclasses?? :smile:
Reply 1949
Original post by HeisenbergWW
Has anyone booked some of the masterclasses?? :smile:

I wanted to but both medicine and chemistry were fully booked!! What about you??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azula
I wanted to but both medicine and chemistry were fully booked!! What about you??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awww no, that's annoying :/
I booked the Engineering and Physics ones :smile:

That's a very common way of doing things. So I imagine Cambridge are fine with it.
Any potential humanities students?

Check this out - it's organised by Trinity (and it's free) ...

http://www.access.trin.cam.ac.uk/trinity-college-humanities-residential-7th-9th-april-2015/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else apply for Headstart?
Anyone else apply for Headstart?

Yeah you get an offer?
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah you get an offer?

Yeah, broad based engineering :smile: you?
Yeah, broad based engineering :smile: you?

Yeah Chem + Drug design. Dunno if I'll accept as my main focus atm is physics :frown:
Yeah Chem + Drug design. Dunno if I'll accept as my main focus atm is physics :frown:

That sounds pretty interesting even if its not what you want to do long term.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1958
Hey,
Im in yr 10 lol. I have a question which may seem idiotic but here it is.
If you take 4 alevels? For exemple maths physics biology and law . and you get A*A*AB and the requirement for your course is A*A*A , do u HAVE to mention the B ? Law?
Original post by Shahid786
Hey,
Im in yr 10 lol. I have a question which may seem idiotic but here it is.
If you take 4 alevels? For exemple maths physics biology and law . and you get A*A*AB and the requirement for your course is A*A*A , do u HAVE to mention the B ? Law?

Well firstly you won't have those grades when you apply: you get your grades about 9 months after the application deadline!

What will matter is you're predicted grades (as you won't do ASs). Cambridge MAY then make you an offer, but getting those grades predicted doesn't guarantee you an offer at all!

If you get an offer then it will probably be AT least that minimum requirement, possibly higher. But to answer your question, extra grades once you make the offer don't matter: you could take 20 A levels, get 17 Us and 3A* and still make the A*A*A offer. But yes, your college will know you're exact grades; they just might not matter. Exam boards send results straight to unis.

Which course are you considering? Remember extra a levels are only valuable if relevant! And better A*A*A* than A*A*AB!

Latest

Trending

Trending