The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by powelsmartin
Durham will be 99.999% bitter Oxbridge rejects while LSE won't. LSE has a world class reputation and is widely acknowledged to be the best for economics related subjects. Durham, frankly, is lacking any international reputation and is only ranked highly in the UK for the single reason that it is one of the oldest universities in the country, and history plays an disproportionately important role in our minds when it comes to prestige. This, however, does not spread to employers and those abroad, all of whom will choose an LSE graduate hands down.

Student experience will largely be the same wherever he goes if he wants to hang out. Maybe at LSE there are more hard working people who don't go out as much, but all the opportunities are still there. The university doesn't do much to define your social experience, especially when you are in London since you can always go out with people from other universities such as UCL that are only a short walk away.

I know this is not my decision but I would say it's LSE hands down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jeez... The bias is overflowing here. Try to be a bit more objective dude!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by *Stefan*
Jeez... The bias is overflowing here. Try to be a bit more objective dude!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's no bias over here - I myself am choosing between Oxford and LSE so I've looked at the situation from all sides, since it's a really important and potentially life-changing decision for me too.

And regarding Durham I have a few friends there who have all been rejected by Oxbridge and LSE and they say that the atmosphere there is pretty gloomy, with loads of students trying to replicate (unsuccessfully) the Oxbridge experience.

As for the reputation ask any international and chances are they are unlikely to know what Durham is, and even if they do they won't recognise it as a top institution. And I've talked to many potential employers before applying and they all said that LSE is second to none in their eyes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by powelsmartin
There's no bias over here - I myself am choosing between Oxford and LSE so I've looked at the situation from all sides, since it's a really important and potentially life-changing decision for me too. And regarding Durham I have a few friends there who have all been rejected by Oxbridge and LSE and they say that the atmosphere there is pretty gloomy, with loads of students trying to replicate (unsuccessfully) the Oxbridge experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you believe you won't find Oxbridge rejects at LSE you're badly mistaken. Besides, what's wrong with having Oxbridge rejects? A university would dream of getting the applicants Oxbridge reject, since most have great academics and abilities. And in all honesty, I'd much rather be filled with Oxbridge rejects than have to share your condescending behaviour.

I won't really trust your last sentence because it's the first time I hear something like this. Everyone whom I've talked to has said that Durham offers an amazing all-rounded experience (of course it may well be true. Different people will have different opinions).

My point is that you shouldn't blatantly start flaming a university. If you don't like it then by all means don't apply (I assume you didn't). But don't go ahead to call it bad/unworthy and generally stuff which shows immaturity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
If you believe you won't find Oxbridge rejects at LSE you're badly mistaken. Besides, what's wrong with having Oxbridge rejects? A university would dream of getting the applicants Oxbridge reject, since most have great academics and abilities. And in all honesty, I'd much rather be filled with Oxbridge rejects than have to share your condescending behaviour.

I won't really trust your last sentence because it's the first time I hear something like this. Everyone whom I've talked to has said that Durham offers an amazing all-rounded experience (of course it may well be true. Different people will have different opinions).

My point is that you shouldn't blatantly start flaming a university. If you don't like it then by all means don't apply (I assume you didn't). But don't go ahead to call it bad/unworthy and generally staff which show immaturity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have grossly misunderstood my point - the collegiate structure of Durham is what attracts those who couldn't get into Oxbridge but would want a similar experience. LSE, on the other hand, is also full of people who wouldn't even want such an experience. I am not saying rejects are bad, it's just that many have an attitude that "I'm only here because I couldn't get into X university, and I'm really pissed about that". And I never said that the Durham experience is in any way inferior and not "all-round".

I am not being condescending or saying that Durham is a bad university - I am only saying that LSE is much better. Durham is obviously much better than the vast majority of universities, but it simply does not beat LSE and that is all I am pointing out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My point is that you shouldn't blatantly start flaming a university. If you don't like it then by all means don't apply (I assume you didn't). But don't go ahead to call it bad/unworthy and generally staff which show immaturity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Though his demeanour seems quite brash, he is pretty much correct. I've heard the exact same from the honest friends I have at Durham, obviously there are people who genuinely enjoy their time there, but on the whole its student experience seems poor. LSE does have a lot of Oxbridge rejects, but it has far far more students for whom LSE was their top choice, however, I would be willing to justify an approximation that nearly all students at Durham didn't get into their first choice.

If I were to describe Durham in the same manner as our friend here, I would call it the counterfeit copy of Oxbridge.
Original post by MrBowcat
Though his demeanour seems quite brash, he is pretty much correct. I've heard the exact same from the honest friends I have at Durham, obviously there are people who genuinely enjoy their time there, but on the whole its student experience seems poor. LSE does have a lot of Oxbridge rejects, but it has far far more students for whom LSE was their top choice, however, I would be willing to justify an approximation that nearly all students at Durham didn't get into their first choice.

If I were to describe Durham in the same manner as our friend here, I would call it the counterfeit copy of Oxbridge.

I have to agree. My worry about studying law at Durham would just about get you a job packing shelves at Tesco. It has been heard of. Well hopefully LSE offer holders' day will win my son over as he didn't get to attend the open day.
Original post by Cholesta
I have to agree. My worry about studying law at Durham would just about get you a job packing shelves at Tesco. It has been heard of. Well hopefully LSE offer holders' day will win my son over as he didn't get to attend the open day.

Jeez people. So much misinformation around. A law-specific study (which I'll send over later if you'd like) showed that Durham had the third largest number of graduates working at the big London firms (after Oxbridge) and fourth largest overall after Oxbridge and Bristol. It was also very close to LSE when it came to the US firms, even though such firms do not really visit Durham due to the distance.

Also, it would be wrong in my opinion to assume that going to LSE will make everything easy. It'll be just as difficult to secure a training contract (Oxbridge are still dominant in this area after all).

In any case, LSE is obviously stellar so don't take me wrong. I do consider it more reputable than Durham (though I'll say that London plays a rather big role here), but saying it's much better than the latter is plainly wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jeez people. So much misinformation around. A law-specific study (which I'll send over later if you'd like) showed that Durham had the third largest number of graduates working at the big London firms (after Oxbridge) and fourth largest overall after Oxbridge and Bristol. It was also very close to LSE when it came to the US firms, even though such firms do not really visit Durham due to the distance.

Also, it would be wrong in my opinion to assume that going to LSE will make everything easy. It'll be just as difficult to secure a training contract (Oxbridge are still dominant in this area after all).

In any case, LSE is obviously stellar so don't take me wrong. I do consider it more reputable than Durham (though I'll say that London plays a rather big role here), but saying it's much better than the latter is plainly wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stefan
I do agree that Durham is an excellent university and very well thought of. It's just LSE and Durham are very different. The law course at these two universities is also different.
I think saying that a law degree from Durham will only get you a job stacking shelves at Tesco is wrong on so many levels - you do sound like a very controlling parent though - I hope your son gets to make the correct decision for him - good luck to him :smile:
Original post by Flippi1
I think saying that a law degree from Durham will only get you a job stacking shelves at Tesco is wrong on so many levels - you do sound like a very controlling parent though - I hope your son gets to make the correct decision for him - good luck to him :smile:

There is nothing wrong with a parent who wants the best for their child. If my parents weren't so "controlling" I wouldn't be holding an offer from LSE today.
Original post by Flippi1

Hi Flipping
Believe me, nobody controls my son. This is a boy whose dad was dying during GCSEs. He fought with me, the hospital and the school to get finishing his exams. He sat physics two hours before his dad's funeral and maths the day he died plus 8 other exams,for himself and his dad and still managed to get 7a* and 4a's. It won't matter a jot what I say, believe me. I just don't want him to have regrets.
Hi Flipping
Believe me, nobody controls my son. This is a boy whose dad was dying during GCSEs. He fought with me, the hospital and the school to get finishing his exams. He sat physics two hours before his dad's funeral and maths the day he died plus 8 other exams,for himself and his dad and still managed to get 7a* and 4a's. It won't matter a jot what I say, believe me. I just don't want him to have regrets.

Sorry meant Flippi 1
Reply 4152
Original post by BMich_95
LSE Law here:biggrin:
You know where you're applying for accommodation?

I've firmed LSE law too, looking forward to meeting you all
Sorry meant Flippi 1

Well he sounds like a courageous and determined guy so let him get on with it and make his own decision - more power to his elbow - and well done in raising such a steadfast chap :smile:
Do you think there would be any point in emailing lse about whether I could apply for their ppe course? I wanted to originally but then opted not to and although I have 3 offers so far and am still waiting for one more I was wondering if I could just try my luck at lse?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Teddysmith123
Do you think there would be any point in emailing lse about whether I could apply for their ppe course? I wanted to originally but then opted not to and although I have 3 offers so far and am still waiting for one more I was wondering if I could just try my luck at lse?

Posted from TSR Mobile

99.999% Sure that they will tell you to go away, but hey, no harm in trying!
Original post by MrBowcat
99.999% Sure that they will tell you to go away, but hey, no harm in trying!

Haha ok well I do have offers already so I may just try even if they do turn me away I don't really have much to lose! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha ok well I do have offers already so I may just try even if they do turn me away I don't really have much to lose! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will just make you look really daft !!
Original post by Flippi1
Well he sounds like a courageous and determined guy so let him get on with it and make his own decision - more powers to his elbow - and well done in raising such a steadfast chap :smile:

Too determined😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure if you are serious?:eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending