The Student Room Group

Physics contents of Applied Maths course at university

Hello,

I guess there could be some difference regarding this between different universities, but on average (between top 20 UK universities) which physics related subjects are usually available/studied in an undergraduate Applied Maths degree course?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Spiral1977
Hello,

I guess there could be some difference regarding this between different universities, but on average (between top 20 UK universities) which physics related subjects are usually available/studied in an undergraduate Applied Maths degree course?

Thanks in advance.

You're probably best looking at some universities and their module lists.

At my uni (Newcastle), some of the physics-y modules we can do are fluids, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and general relativity.

I've also done a module on chaos theory, but I don't know if that's physics? It says on wikipedia that it's maths with applications in physics (and other areas of science too). :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by rayquaza17
You're probably best looking at some universities and their module lists.

At my uni (Newcastle), some of the physics-y modules we can do are fluids, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and general relativity.

I've also done a module on chaos theory, but I don't know if that's physics? It says on wikipedia that it's maths with applications in physics (and other areas of science too). :confused:

Thanks for your reply. When can students do these physics related modules? From first year?
Original post by Spiral1977
Thanks for your reply. When can students do these physics related modules? From first year?

We do the chaos module in second year, and the others are mostly third year modules with one fourth year module.

However in addition to these modules, we do modules about things like vector calculus, vectors, and differential equations and these start in first year. (These modules are also taken my physics undergrads, but I think they fall into the category of applied maths rather than physics).

But like I said above, this is just at Newcastle. You're best to look at the modules for the universities you are interested in. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest