The Student Room Group

Have you ever cryed in public?

Sometimes when I am out walking I see people cry in public. It's usually women, this is obviously at random times and not a daily occurence, I think to myself why are they crying? Is it such bad news that it forces them to burst into tears? Sometimes I may even feel like approaching them and comforting them never actually done it though, I don't think I would unless someone seemed to be in a lot of distress.

So do you cry in public? Do you think it's mostly a male or female behaviour? And is there anything wrong with it? Do you think guys should show more emotion perhaps?

I think in society people are made to become so hard emotionally that we ignore our feelings and others aswell. As a guy perhaps I feel this more, guys are conditioned to create this fake, macho, musculine, can take on the world persona. For most it's just that a exterior front. Although I've never cryed uncontrollably in public I would say I do show my emotions such as anger, sadness or joy sometimes if I listen to an emotional song I may even shed a little tear. In terms of seeing guys cry I barely see it publicly though perhaps during a sports event for glory or loss or at the birth of their child on some documentary. Or in extreme situations such as a military conflict.

I understand I wrote more then one question but I think it would help broaden the debate.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I did once in an airport. I missed my connecting flight and was trying to get somewhere really important.

Other than that, I don't cry in public and don't know where all these people you see crying are?!
Reply 2
I've cried many times in public, mainly due to panic attacks. The last time I remember crying was the last time I was on a plane which was year ago. I wasn't howling but I was crying and you could notice it if you looked at me. It didn't bother me if people noticed because getting my feelings out was helping me and that was the main thing.

Can't say I've seen a lot of people cry in public. The most times I have, they have been drunk tbh.
Posted from TSR Mobile
I have cried in public a few times before. I was on my way home once when I received a call telling me my mother had passed away due to a car crash in Brooklyn
Reply 4
No, but I slightly teared up last year when I found out my teacher died.
Reply 5
Original post by rachel.h
I did once in an airport. I missed my connecting flight and was trying to get somewhere really important.

Other than that, I don't cry in public and don't know where all these people you see crying are?!

One girl I saw was crying at uni on the phone. Another women on the street, another arguing with her men crying. Last was a lady who was wearing a London underground uniform crying on the phone, think it all occurred between 3-4 weeks probably saw 1/2 more can't remember all.
A few times walking to/from school or uni or on the train to uni :redface: Don't think anybody really noticed though.
Reply 7
Original post by queen-bee
I have cried in public a few times before. I was on my way home once when I received a call telling me my mother had passed away due to a car crash in Brooklyn

Sorry to hear that I recently experienced a passing away in my family and know it can be hard. Hope you spent good time with her before her passing.
I cried once on the phone to my mum. It's a rare occurrence for me to cry, let alone in public. I cried all the way back to my house with tears streaming down my face and people on the streets starting making way for me to walk past, it was so embarrassing and I don't plan on doing it ever again. Luckily it was early in the morning so not that many people were out on the streets.
Reply 9
Yes. I was getting the **** kicked out of me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Back when I was in 9th grade I went through a tough time in life and I remember crying in school sometimes. Some girls I didn't know approached me and asked if I was alright, if they could help me, and I said yes, I'm fine. So they left me alone but it felt good already that they cared enough to ask. So if I saw someone crying in public I would probably approach them if nobody else did.
Reply 11
I may be sad and people notice, my eyes may even get watery but I always fight of tears unless I'm with family, at home or I have some privacy. Wonder if its more to do with British culture then my sex, perhaps it's just my psychological make up, my personality.
On the steps of the church at my father's funeral, in 2010. Not since.

Original post by queen-bee

Sorry for your loss.
No....

As a guy I would feel completely stupid crying in public
Reply 14
I think crying is a great way of relieving stress and pain. We should not be afraid of showing this side of us, people should connect more and destroy feelings of anger and hate.
Original post by Profesh
On the steps of the church at my father's funeral, in 2010. Not since.

Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss too :frown:
why do people assume being reserved is the equivalent to being strong :s
I love seeing people expressing any sort of emotion I don't get this whole generally male point of view that staying withdrawn is more alpha etc
Original post by Mancini
Sorry to hear that I recently experienced a passing away in my family and know it can be hard. Hope you spent good time with her before her passing.

She was an amazing woman :smile:
Original post by Mancini

Yes we did :h:
Reply 19
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
No....

As a guy I would feel completely stupid crying in public

You would feel stupid due to shame and embarrassment or because you failed to represent this masculine image you feel your emotions betray?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending