The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airfairy
Oh yeah, it's only 19 for me too. Woop!

Five full days after easter?! That's a lot! Why so much?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I've got an extra 5 lessons a week after the easter break. As well as my collabs and observations. Not looking forward to it, but, I guess it'll better prepare me for a real teaching job...

Nervous about teaching tomorrow after not having taught since december!
How have people been improving their subject knowledge for primary english?

Seems like a lot of universities recommend books - but I kind of wish there was online content as well.
Original post by Tombola
How have people been improving their subject knowledge for primary english?

Seems like a lot of universities recommend books - but I kind of wish there was online content as well.

You can use resources designed for primary age children, like the BBC schools stuff.

Also the Oxford English Dictionaries site is good for checking grammar and punctuation stuff.

Regarding phonics there are quite a lot of youtube videos about.

Other than that there is a really good book called 'English for Primary and the Early Years: Developing subject knowledge' by Ian Eyres. It's kind of like a dictionary of terms with explanations and examples, very useful for just dipping in to when you're unsure about something.

I generally go for an in bits approach, looking stuff up as it comes up in what I'm teaching soon. Rather than generally try to sit and learn everything. You could go through the curriculum too though like a tick list.

Tbh I also got a LOT of my subject knowledge through doing my English subject knowledge assignment and looking in the above book, googling or asking tutors. Also a couple of subject knowledge based optional sessions the uni ran. I loved my uni!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The CAB have got back in touch with me (I rang them to arrange an appointment to help with my complaint on Thursday) and the earliest they can see me is in three weeks :frown: I'm suppose to go in for a grading tutorial on Wednesday; not sure if I should say something then. I've already told the tutor who it is with that I'm going to be dropping out and she said to go to it anyway. Another student on my course said she put a complaint to the college about the course in December and still hasn't heard anything back. This PGCE has caused a lot of stress for me lately; just not that type most PGCE students experience though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
A job application form wants the usual supporting statement which I've done, but then they also want you to attach a cover letter stating why you want the job plus your class data. Obviously class data isn't applicable to me and I've covered why I want the job in my supporting statement, so I'm unsure what to put in the cover letter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A job application form wants the usual supporting statement which I've done, but then they also want you to attach a cover letter stating why you want the job plus your class data. Obviously class data isn't applicable to me and I've covered why I want the job in my supporting statement, so I'm unsure what to put in the cover letter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The terms are used to mean different things but in general a cover letter is a very brief letter simply highlighting the main points from your application. You always send one even if not directly asked for. Something like:

Dear x

Please find attached my application for the post of Y at School, as advertised on JobSite. THANK FOR APPLICATION PACK IF APPLICABLE.

As you will note from my application I am a pgce student with experience of teaching x in y schools through placement. I LIST SOME KEY SKILLS. JUST 2 OR 3.

2 SENTENCE PARAGRAPH ON WHY YOU LIKE THAT SCHOOL/WOULD BE A GOOD FIT.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely...

Posted from TSR Mobile
This morning I had one of my absolute worst lessons ever (my ict isn't very strong yet) and then this afternoon I had my most amazing computing lesson ever.

We're learning hex codes through RGB colour and they were muttering about the dress the whole way through and then right at the end I asked them to convert one last RGB colour and it's the colour from the dress and the big reveal really paid off.

I absolutely adore teaching computing :')
Original post by ParadoxSocks
This morning I had one of my absolute worst lessons ever (my ict isn't very strong yet) and then this afternoon I had my most amazing computing lesson ever.

We're learning hex codes through RGB colour and they were muttering about the dress the whole way through and then right at the end I asked them to convert one last RGB colour and it's the colour from the dress and the big reveal really paid off.

Dont worry, i had an absolute shocker of one last thing. Trying to teach logic gates and panicked thinking they were getting through material too quickly, os tried to do a bit of initiative and introduce them to next lessons topic and got a total wtf from my mentor...absolute cluster....totally gutted, cried afterwards and just felt so dissapointed in myself.
Original post by kpwxx
The terms are used to mean different things but in general a cover letter is a very brief letter simply highlighting the main points from your application. You always send one even if not directly asked for. Something like:

Dear x

Please find attached my application for the post of Y at School, as advertised on JobSite. THANK FOR APPLICATION PACK IF APPLICABLE.

As you will note from my application I am a pgce student with experience of teaching x in y schools through placement. I LIST SOME KEY SKILLS. JUST 2 OR 3.

2 SENTENCE PARAGRAPH ON WHY YOU LIKE THAT SCHOOL/WOULD BE A GOOD FIT.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant. Thank you so much for this - immensely helpful.
Original post by ParadoxSocks

We were just talking about about. What colour was it revealed to be? I really want to know.

My flatmate works in computer and looked it up and he couldn't remember what the answer was.
Anyone else feel like they just don't fit in with their current school?

I loved my last placement - looked forward to every day and just wanted to get stuck in, I even applied for a job there and was successful (so looking forward to September now!)
But the school I'm in now I just can't get on with, It's made me realise how important the school/department's 'values' are - something I thought was a bit wishy-washy before. I'm really confused and down because I know I can be a good teacher, and I was at my previous school, but because I just can't get on well in this current school, im really underperforming and it's getting me down. I'm at the point now where since January I've had 3 days off through depression/stress whereas last term I had no absences. Theres only 7 more full weeks at this school now, but surely I shouldn't be counting down already?!

Anyone else in this situation or a similar one? Thanks for reading and letting me vent.
Can I ask - is it a bad idea to be honest with your school mentor that you're not sure about teaching anymore?

Original post by YGB Jammy
Anyone else feel like they just don't fit in with their current school?

I loved my last placement - looked forward to every day and just wanted to get stuck in, I even applied for a job there and was successful (so looking forward to September now!)
But the school I'm in now I just can't get on with, It's made me realise how important the school/department's 'values' are - something I thought was a bit wishy-washy before. I'm really confused and down because I know I can be a good teacher, and I was at my previous school, but because I just can't get on well in this current school, im really underperforming and it's getting me down. I'm at the point now where since January I've had 3 days off through depression/stress whereas last term I had no absences. Theres only 7 more full weeks at this school now, but surely I shouldn't be counting down already?!

Anyone else in this situation or a similar one? Thanks for reading and letting me vent.

Yep! I've written a countdown in my diary. Difference is I didn't like my first school much either. I am massively underperforming though compared to how I finished my last placement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I ask - is it a bad idea to be honest with your school mentor that you're not sure about teaching anymore?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's best to be honest. Maybe the two of you could work out why you feel that way and perhaps put strategies in place to make you feel more positive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think there's a teacher alive who hasn't questioned if it's right for them at some point, and a good mentor should be able to give you an objective point of view to help you sort your own mind out. I'd say honestly is the best policy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would make it brief - half a page. Talk about your key skills (2/3), give examples and then a little bit about why you like the school :smile:

Even if you're not sure about it, does it matter? A PGCE is so tough, that noone is going to judge you if at the end of it, you decide that you don't want to teach :smile: I would be honest with your mentor - maybe once talking about it, some strategies could be put in place which might change your mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I stupidly stressed myself out by looking at NQT things...I had no idea we could even fail the NQT year and if we do, we're not allowed to teach in the state sector...

I also don't really have things like data entry etc. I don't even have a markbook and my teaching file from placement 1 is dire. I don't have one yet for placement 2.
Original post by myblueheaven339
I think it's best to be honest. Maybe the two of you could work out why you feel that way and perhaps put strategies in place to make you feel more positive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I don't think there's a teacher alive who hasn't questioned if it's right for them at some point, and a good mentor should be able to give you an objective point of view to help you sort your own mind out. I'd say honestly is the best policy.

Original post by Samus2
I would make it brief - half a page. Talk about your key skills (2/3), give examples and then a little bit about why you like the school :smile:

Thanks for the replies. I do want to tell the truth but uni are always saying we shouldn't because it sends a 'bad image' but meh, I would prefer to be honest. She is lovely so I'm hoping she hold it against me.
Original post by Samus2
I stupidly stressed myself out by looking at NQT things...I had no idea we could even fail the NQT year and if we do, we're not allowed to teach in the state sector...

I also don't really have things like data entry etc. I don't even have a markbook and my teaching file from placement 1 is dire. I don't have one yet for placement 2.

I remember that moment of realisation... Panic!

However it is nowhere near as scary as you think. You mentor just gives you points to work on. You'd have to be abysmal to fail NQT, if you pass the PGCE you should be absolutely fine. Plus it's a very open process so if things aren't going great you should know very early, and the school has to show what they're doing to give you extra support if you're in danger of not passing. And if it really comes to it you can always stop after a term and do some supply to boost skills then carry on when you're ready.

Data entry seems crazy as a student but again it just becomes normal as a teacher. You'd be surprised how easy it is to adjust to the extra stuff to do when you have your own class/es.

My best advice is to take pictures and photocopies of everything that shows evidence towards the teaching standards and put it all in a folder. With a contents list of what standards are evidenced. Do it as you go along and you'll easily be able to demonstrate all you need to.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep! I've written a countdown in my diary. Difference is I didn't like my first school much either. I am massively underperforming though compared to how I finished my last placement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We were told to tell our co-ordinator (based in another school). It might be better to look at why you're not sure about teaching any more - is it to do with support or something else your mentor can help with? If it's just teaching in general you're probably better off not mentioning it.
Original post by alabelle
We were told to tell our co-ordinator (based in another school). It might be better to look at why you're not sure about teaching any more - is it to do with support or something else your mentor can help with? If it's just teaching in general you're probably better off not mentioning it.

Hmm, yeah it is teaching in general. It is hard to keep it to myself but whenever someone at school is talking to me about jobs or something I have to put on such an act, and I get such weird looks when people find out I've only applied for one job :lol: .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending