The Student Room Group

2015 Physics Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Has anyone who applied for Imperial around December heard back yet?
I applied around mid-december and have only received an acknowledgement, I know that they hold their final set of interviews between Feb and Early March (or so their website says).

Also has anyone actually been rejected? I hope they don't leave it until the last minute to just send out rejections -_-
Original post by wmavfc
They didn't mention anything to do with that on the visit day. Was all about how they want to remove the uncertainty for applicants who choose them as their firm choice. I'm surprised if all offer holders weren't given that

Have you got the official offer letter yet?

I've yet to receive mine, then again I only went yesterday. I want to know if the AAB thing is still possible for me, as in the interview I was offered A*AA :frown:
Reply 782
Original post by Tibbz2
Have you got the official offer letter yet?

I've yet to receive mine, then again I only went yesterday. I want to know if the AAB thing is still possible for me, as in the interview I was offered A*AA :frown:

Yeah it's also through on UCAS and I've firmed it. They didn't mention the firm for AAB thing at all? That's weird :frown: In my interview I was offered A*AA but they'd already told us all in the introductory talk that if we firm we get it changed to AAB.
Original post by wmavfc
Yeah it's also through on UCAS and I've firmed it. They didn't mention the firm for AAB thing at all? That's weird :frown: In my interview I was offered A*AA but they'd already told us all in the introductory talk that if we firm we get it changed to AAB.

How long did it take them to send you it through UCAS?
Reply 784
Original post by Tibbz2
How long did it take them to send you it through UCAS?

Went to visit day on the Wednesday got the offer through on the Friday. Firmed it and they changed it to AAB the next day
Original post by wmavfc
Went to visit day on the Wednesday got the offer through on the Friday. Firmed it and they changed it to AAB the next day

Ah i see, with any luck i might get mine today then :tongue:

Thanks
Reply 786
Original post by Tibbz2
Ah i see, with any luck i might get mine today then :tongue:

Thanks

Hope you do man. Reckon you'll firm?
Original post by wmavfc
Hope you do man. Reckon you'll firm?

Depends on how much i like Durham next month when i visit on the open day, its going to be a difficult choice :s
Reply 788
Original post by Tibbz2
Depends on how much i like Durham next month when i visit on the open day, its going to be a difficult choice :s

Yeah I struggled between Nottingham & Exeter for ages but just gradually came to deciding Nottingham
Original post by wmavfc
Yeah I struggled between Nottingham & Exeter for ages but just gradually came to deciding Nottingham

Theyre both good for astrophysics research too which is what I was trying to decide on, it's literally might just come down to the feel or something small, it's pretty close :s-smilie:

I got a letter today from Nottingham confirming that if I firm them then they will give the AAB offer!
Reply 790
Original post by Tibbz2
Theyre both good for astrophysics research too which is what I was trying to decide on, it's literally might just come down to the feel or something small, it's pretty close :s-smilie:

I got a letter today from Nottingham confirming that if I firm them then they will give the AAB offer!

Yeah I don't really know what made me decide in the end, writing down all the pros and cons helped.

Ah glad to hear man
Reply 791
Went to visit days/interviews for both UCL and Manchester this week... Now I need to choose between the two!
The Manchester 'interview' was more like an informal chat, and we were told before that 95% of us already had offers, so that really took the heat off...
But now I have to choose between the two! Anyone have any extra insights?
Reply 792
Original post by ufcykj
Went to visit days/interviews for both UCL and Manchester this week... Now I need to choose between the two!
The Manchester 'interview' was more like an informal chat, and we were told before that 95% of us already had offers, so that really took the heat off...
But now I have to choose between the two! Anyone have any extra insights?

I might be choosing between the same universities, I'm going to Manchester for interview next week, so I'll let you know what my impressions are compared to UCL (Assuming they give me an offer lol) when I get back (Assuming Manchester give me an offer lol).
What course have you applied for?
I've applied for MSci at both, right now I'm sort of deciding based on teaching reputation and research, which might be naive, I don't really know :biggrin:
Reply 793
I really liked Manchester, they gave me a much better impression than UCL on the open day :smile: I got the impression from UCL that they know they don't really have to try, as people will go there anyway. I'm sure you'll definitely get an offer from Manchester! They told everyone that they will most likely get an offer of A*A*A, and the interview is just there in case you drop a grade. I have also applied for the MSci! Seems that is what most people do.
Guys: UCL or Durham for physics (have to choose between these 2 as an insurance)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anaris
I might be choosing between the same universities, I'm going to Manchester for interview next week, so I'll let you know what my impressions are compared to UCL (Assuming they give me an offer lol) when I get back (Assuming Manchester give me an offer lol).
What course have you applied for?
I've applied for MSci at both, right now I'm sort of deciding based on teaching reputation and research, which might be naive, I don't really know :biggrin:

Hi, have you visited Manchester and what did you think of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 796
Original post by bobbricks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I visited Manchester, it looks really good! The building is quite nice, and the general Manchester Uni campus is really good too. Lots of equipment in the labs. The people that spoke to us and showed us around were really enthusiastic as well.
Reply 797
Original post by ufcykj
I really liked Manchester, they gave me a much better impression than UCL on the open day :smile: I got the impression from UCL that they know they don't really have to try, as people will go there anyway. I'm sure you'll definitely get an offer from Manchester! They told everyone that they will most likely get an offer of A*A*A, and the interview is just there in case you drop a grade. I have also applied for the MSci! Seems that is what most people do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did quite initially like Manchester the facilties they have are pretty nice, it's very large and made me feel somewhat small, everyone was welcoming, which isn't really something I'd judge the university on. The presentations seemed somewhat disappointing it was more about comparing Manchester to other places than why Manchester stands out. The research wasn't discussed in great detail and it seemed too focused on advertising the university than the unique aspects of their facilities and course. The university didn't really stand out to me other than the size of it's student body that and the national graphene institute.

Still it's certainly a good university and I had some trouble thinking about where I wanted to go if I had to choose between UCL and Manchester, in the end I would go with UCL I think. That's largely down to research groups and reputation alongside the location of the university, from what I understand both courses are similar and they offer similar facilities, however if anyone wants to prove to me otherwise I'd certainly like to hear :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anaris
I did quite initially like Manchester the facilties they have are pretty nice, it's very large and made me feel somewhat small, everyone was welcoming, which isn't really something I'd judge the university on. The presentations seemed somewhat disappointing it was more about comparing Manchester to other places than why Manchester stands out. The research wasn't discussed in great detail and it seemed too focused on advertising the university than the unique aspects of their facilities and course. The university didn't really stand out to me other than the size of it's student body that and the national graphene institute.

Still it's certainly a good university and I had some trouble thinking about where I wanted to go if I had to choose between UCL and Manchester, in the end I would go with UCL I think. That's largely down to research groups and reputation alongside the location of the university, from what I understand both courses are similar and they offer similar facilities, however if anyone wants to prove to me otherwise I'd certainly like to hear :smile:

Hmm..I also have to choose between Manchester and UCL (among others :tongue:):
I've looked at the student satisfaction for UCL and Manchester but there seems to be a huge difference:
Manchester:
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007798FT-259/ReturnTo/Search
UCL: http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/satisfaction/10007784FT-UMSPHYSING05/ReturnTo/Search

What could be the reason for this difference (Im not sure how reliable these stats are )?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 799
Hmm..I also have to choose between Manchester and UCL (among others :tongue:):
I've looked at the student satisfaction for UCL and Manchester but there seems to be a huge difference:
Manchester:
http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007798FT-259/ReturnTo/Search
UCL: http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/satisfaction/10007784FT-UMSPHYSING05/ReturnTo/Search

What could be the reason for this difference (Im not sure how reliable these stats are )?

Posted from TSR Mobile

All the statistics websites have really different stats for both! Maybe they are taken from different years? Unistats, which uni, what uni...
Which one is most trustworthy?

Quick Reply

Latest