The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Souness' column yesterday - absolutely damning. He makes a good point about nobody in the Arsenal side being able to smell danger, like a Matic does so successfully, or Lucas/Fernandinho to a lesser extent for Liverpool and City.
What's happening with Walcott? Is he just being phased back from that long injury? Or is the amount of competition driving him out of the side? If the latter, will he want to leave in the Summer?
Original post by Gob Bluth
What's happening with Walcott? Is he just being phased back from that long injury? Or is the amount of competition driving him out of the side? If the latter, will he want to leave in the Summer?

Apparently he was involved with a spat with fans post-Monaco.
Original post by Gob Bluth

I think he's being phased out and won't start another game for us in all honesty as wenger doesn't like the type of player he is. I really like Walcott tbf as he brings goals to the table so I can see him leaving. I can see Liverpool going in for him or a team like juventus. Liverpool would do well to play him up top with sturridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay
Apparently he was involved with a spat with fans post-Monaco.

I was at the game, honestly don't believe what the media tells you. After he swapped shirts with Aymen Abdennour one, maybe two so called "fans" said something to Walcott after he heard their boo's and simply gestured he wasn't having none of it. After that, those so called "fans" of our club were being ashamed by the rest of the Arsenal supporters for turning their backs on our team.

I'm sick of all the fighting amongst fans but the general atmosphere at the Emirates is dire, low confidence amongst the supporters and players/management alike. I think we should all just pull through it together as a Club, we're much better than to be fighting with each other :/.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mackay
Souness' column yesterday - absolutely damning. He makes a good point about nobody in the Arsenal side being able to smell danger, like a Matic does so successfully, or Lucas/Fernandinho to a lesser extent for Liverpool and City.

That's obvious when Arsenal have Coquelin, Arteta and Flamini as their defensive midfielders and that has been the case for about 8 years since Gilberto left. That's so obvious that I don't even think it's worthy of an article.
Original post by jam277
That's obvious when Arsenal have Coquelin, Arteta and Flamini as their defensive midfielders and that has been the case for about 8 years since Gilberto left. That's so obvious that I don't even think it's worthy of an article.

But it's damning in the sense that Coquelin was hailed as the saviour post-Man City, and look where he is now.

Wenger has - time and time again - failed to bolster that position, and failed to replace men. Diaby's practically in a vegetative state, and there ARE certain mitigating factors (i.e. building the stadium) but excuses have ran out now. Sanchez was a great signing - but was he necessary? Ozil was a great signing - but was he necessary?

Wenger makes the same mistakes each transfer window it would seem.
Original post by Mackay
But it's damning in the sense that Coquelin was hailed as the saviour post-Man City, and look where he is now.

Yes but any person who knows a shred about football and has watched more than two Arsenal games under Wenger knew that Coquelin wasn't good enough, defensively a guy who runs around and puts in a few tackles after losing the ball always will get praised, remember Scott Parker for England :rolleyes:
Wenger has - time and time again - failed to bolster that position, and failed to replace men. Diaby's practically in a vegetative state, and there ARE certain mitigating factors (i.e. building the stadium) but excuses have ran out now. Sanchez was a great signing - but was he necessary? Ozil was a great signing - but was he necessary?

Diaby isn't a DM and never has been he gets the title because he's tall and black, he's a box to box midfielder and his running across the midfield is what made him so good when he did play.

Sanchez was neccessary simply because the Arsenal team had no pace and no player suited to movement/direct running behind the defence and with Walcott with an ACL injury. Ozil was not neccessary, simply because Cazorla was in the side as well as Rosicky, while at a stretch Ramsey and Wilshere could have played there or Arsenal could have gone 4-3-3/4-1-4-1 like they've been doing this season, which renders a player like Ozil quite useless.

Wenger makes the same mistakes each transfer window it would seem.

That's what everybody has been saying since about 2008. He had the veil of the lack of money from the emirates stadium, but he's paid big money for some players, such as Sanchez and Walcott.

While we're at it, he doesn't even need a clear CM, more a guy like Carrick who can distribute the ball very well and is good at being in position.
Original post by Numan786
I think he's being phased out and won't start another game for us in all honesty as wenger doesn't like the type of player he is. I really like Walcott tbf as he brings goals to the table so I can see him leaving. I can see Liverpool going in for him or a team like juventus. Liverpool would do well to play him up top with sturridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't see what Walcott would offer that Sterling doesn't when he played up top?
Original post by jam277
remember Scott Parker for England :rolleyes:

England captain and player of the year. Farcical.
Original post by jam277
Don't see what Walcott would offer that Sterling doesn't when he played up top?

More Pace and better finishing perhaps? He's usually more consistent of a threat too and I can see sterling being played behind them.
More Pace and better finishing perhaps? He's usually more consistent of a threat too and I can see sterling being played behind them.

If Sterling plays behind them then where does that leave Coutinho? Or do you think they'll do a diamond of some sorts.
Sterling looks much better on the ball in comparison to Walcott who is much more lethal off the ball. Sterling's dribbling and technique is by far better than Walcott's but Walcott makes up for it with his pace by getting into better positions. The latter is a much better finisher too.

Sterling will always have the higher ceiling however due to Theo being at his peak.
Gabriel had a solid debut from what I saw - and Ospina's performance will breathe confidence into him after quite a haphazard few weeks.
Original post by jam277
If Sterling plays behind them then where does that leave Coutinho? Or do you think they'll do a diamond of some sorts.

They could do a diamond or a 4-2-2-2 tbh lots of pace in that attack and midfield could see it doing alot of damage.
Original post by angelfox
Ozil has got the third best assists to minutes ratio in the Prem of all time... Also remember this guy: Miss him :frown:

NGL I loved that kit.

I think he's being phased out and won't start another game for us in all honesty as wenger doesn't like the type of player he is. I really like Walcott tbf as he brings goals to the table so I can see him leaving. I can see Liverpool going in for him or a team like juventus. Liverpool would do well to play him up top with sturridge. Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you talking about? Wenger has admitted in the past that Theo is one of our better players, and the one we were missing the most when he was out. I just think that Theo is not impressing Wenger with his overall play at the moment, with Ox and Welbeck seemingly offering more (other than goals), so Wenger is waiting to re-introduce him. I don't buy the idea that Wenger doesn't want or like him, I think Wenger was just hoping Theo would advance more than he did when he was training with Henry a few years ago. Theo would not go to Liverpool, and Wenger wouldn't sell him.
Mertesacker has played 90 minutes in EVERY PL game this season, bar your opening fixture and the Everton game yesterday.
Original post by Mackay
Mertesacker has played 90 minutes in EVERY PL game this season, bar your opening fixture and the Everton game yesterday.

And he barely had a pre-season, irresponsible of AW to put him in that position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peggles_*
And he barely had a pre-season, irresponsible of AW to put him in that position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gabriel seems to have won some fans from his debut, though. Be interesting to see if that acts as a watershed moment.
Original post by Mackay
Gabriel seems to have won some fans from his debut, though. Be interesting to see if that acts as a watershed moment.

We might end up with a new Vermaelen situation with Per. His form has dipped of late but that looks more down to fatigue than anything. He said he was lacking motivation, well now he has it. Arsene doesn't drop players easily, so if Gabriel is now starting with Kos, Per is going to have to work hard to get his place back.

Gabriel looks good, but raw. Took him a while to get up to the speed of the game against Everton but overall he did well. Offers something Per doesn't...pace.

Don't know how well his and Kos will work simply because both like to play on the front foot, we could get caught out on a few occasions with those two playing. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest