The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Day 3/4 post op. Feel like crap. Cant feel lower lip, numbness in surrounding areas. Swelling still bigger than ever. Kept waking up every 2 or 3 hours in the night. Please tell me the worst is over! It's mainly the swelling thats making feel low.
Original post by Anonymous
Day 3/4 post op. Feel like crap. Cant feel lower lip, numbness in surrounding areas. Swelling still bigger than ever. Kept waking up every 2 or 3 hours in the night. Please tell me the worst is over! It's mainly the swelling thats making feel low.

It will get better from here, honestly! The swelling feels horrible at first I know, but it will be worth it, although it takes a bit of time - I think it took about 6-8 weeks for the swelling to completely go for me but the majority of swelling goes down very quickly.

The numbness can take a good while to disappear sometimes, but the lip numbness again does fade. With the sleeping/waking up, have you tried sleeping more upright at the moment? I slept in an armchair with pillows propping me up for the first week or so because being more upright felt more bearable.

Hang on in there though, I promise it's worth it and the worst is definitely almost over. :smile:
Hi, i'm actually 35 and will be having this procedure to fix an severe overbite. only yesterday i had my bottom brace fitted, the upper was done in November. I'm probably looking at 18m at least until my surgery. I think I am ready for it, more worried about being put to sleep than anything else. I should have done this years ago, but certain circumstances was putting it off. I know there maybe a lot of pain and discomfort to come, but it will defo be well worth it. Don't know how i will cope on the soft diet, but i will defo get myself prepared. Good luck to all who are going through with this, and i'll keep you updated with my progress.
Been following this thread in preparation for my surgery due in a few weeks, does anyone know how long the numbness takes to disappear, if ever? I read that in some cases it can be permanent:confused:
Been following this thread in preparation for my surgery due in a few weeks, does anyone know how long the numbness takes to disappear, if ever? I read that in some cases it can be permanent:confused:

It can be permanent, but that is very very very rare. Personally for me the total numbness of my lips/jaw lasted for a couple of months and then it started to reduce just to my chin. It's 10 years this year since I had my jaw surgery and now if I lightly brush my finger across my chin it still feels like 'tingling', not the same as it does anywhere else, but that's it and it's only the very slightest of differences. It's very very unlikely to be permanent!
It's surgery day! Wish me luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Post op day 3, the pain is unreal! They took me off my morphine yesterday morning, and since my face has felt ridiculously sore and is so swollen. Apparently my operation went really well though, so I'm pleased about that. I don't have to have elastics, I didn't need to be wired shut and my x-rays are really good. I'm going home today and I'm super excited to sleep! I've been moved from pillar to post in hospital but everyone has been great with me :smile:. If there's any questions I'm more than happy to help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rturnbull94
Post op day 3, the pain is unreal! They took me off my morphine yesterday morning, and since my face has felt ridiculously sore and is so swollen. Apparently my operation went really well though, so I'm pleased about that. I don't have to have elastics, I didn't need to be wired shut and my x-rays are really good. I'm going home today and I'm super excited to sleep! I've been moved from pillar to post in hospital but everyone has been great with me :smile:. If there's any questions I'm more than happy to help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

no questions but honestly I wouldn't know you'd had a jaw op if you hadn't said
I've been trying to decide whether or not to go ahead with jaw surgery or not and have been constantly changing my mind. I had a review appointment with the orthodentist today, and I told him I hadn't decided, so we made another appointment for a couple of months time.

I did however ask him about cost... enquiring whether it would be covered by the NHS or not, if not how much, etc. To which he replied "We don't charge" "Everything's free" And the assistant was nodding her head saying the braces, the surgery, everything was free. They didn't directly reply to my question of whether or not it was covered by the NHS however - I just assumed at the time that's what they meant.

Now I've only just realised that the dental centre I was at (which I was referred to by the orthodentist whom I was initially referred to by dentist) is actually the Dental Institute for my university, and now I'm starting to wonder if it's "free" because the surgery would be carried out by students since they have a "free dental care" scheme for unregistered patients in the city where the work is carried out by a student supervised by senior staff.

I don't think I'd have any qualms about letting students carry out the orthodentics, but surgery sounds daunting enough as it is regardless of who it is carried out by.

Has anyone had any similar experience with this? Is it likely to be the case that it is indeed free because it is carried out by students? Or will it just be the orthodontics done by students?
Original post by jelly1000
no questions but honestly I wouldn't know you'd had a jaw op if you hadn't said

Hey! Yeahh, it's very sore - I can't decide whether it's a good thing or not that you can't tell :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been trying to decide whether or not to go ahead with jaw surgery or not and have been constantly changing my mind. I had a review appointment with the orthodentist today, and I told him I hadn't decided, so we made another appointment for a couple of months time.

I did however ask him about cost... enquiring whether it would be covered by the NHS or not, if not how much, etc. To which he replied "We don't charge" "Everything's free" And the assistant was nodding her head saying the braces, the surgery, everything was free. They didn't directly reply to my question of whether or not it was covered by the NHS however - I just assumed at the time that's what they meant.

Now I've only just realised that the dental centre I was at (which I was referred to by the orthodentist whom I was initially referred to by dentist) is actually the Dental Institute for my university, and now I'm starting to wonder if it's "free" because the surgery would be carried out by students since they have a "free dental care" scheme for unregistered patients in the city where the work is carried out by a student supervised by senior staff.

I don't think I'd have any qualms about letting students carry out the orthodentics, but surgery sounds daunting enough as it is regardless of who it is carried out by.

Has anyone had any similar experience with this? Is it likely to be the case that it is indeed free because it is carried out by students? Or will it just be the orthodontics done by students?

Neither your braces nor surgery is done by students. I'm at Newcastle Dental Hospital (also works with ncl uni) and there's fully qualified orthodontists, consultants and surgeons taking care of you - things like that are too risky to be handed to a student. It's free because it's on the NHS, and I presume you started going before you were 18? I'm 20, had my bimaxillary osteotomy last Friday and I'd definitely recommend it! I've had braces for two and a half years to correct a severe class 3 crossbite, and I finally got my surgery. I won't lie and say it's a doddle to go through, because it's far from it, but it's definitely worth it. It is life changing and a very big decision, but I'd definitely say go for it :smile:. If you've any questions about any of it feel free to ask me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Neither your braces nor surgery is done by students. I'm at Newcastle Dental Hospital (also works with ncl uni) and there's fully qualified orthodontists, consultants and surgeons taking care of you - things like that are too risky to be handed to a student. It's free because it's on the NHS, and I presume you started going before you were 18? I'm 20, had my bimaxillary osteotomy last Friday and I'd definitely recommend it! I've had braces for two and a half years to correct a severe class 3 crossbite, and I finally got my surgery. I won't lie and say it's a doddle to go through, because it's far from it, but it's definitely worth it. It is life changing and a very big decision, but I'd definitely say go for it :smile:. If you've any questions about any of it feel free to ask me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm actually turning 21. Initially enquired about it before I turned 18 - had the photos taken/moulds, but they never got back to me after that. Got referred again, and the same thing happened but I didn't get to the photos stage again. I was assuming when I got referred this time (since I've moved since then and using a different orthodontist) it would be as if I'd just started the process now.

Good luck on your recovery by the way!
I'm actually turning 21. Initially enquired about it before I turned 18 - had the photos taken/moulds, but they never got back to me after that. Got referred again, and the same thing happened but I didn't get to the photos stage again. I was assuming when I got referred this time (since I've moved since then and using a different orthodontist) it would be as if I'd just started the process now.

Good luck on your recovery by the way!

That's why it's free :smile:. Ahhh that's grim, but I doubt that would happen very much, they'll have on record everything, and you can explain what happened in the past :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

it will be free because of the severity - its not just for cosmetic reasons
Reply 454
Hi, I want to ask how long was the period between putting on the braces and getting the surgery? I had my braces put on in 2013 and it has been 1 year and 3 months. I am asking this because I will be moving to Uni by September, but I doubt I will get the surgery done by the summer. They haven't even considered pulling my wisdom teeth out yet, but the ortho said that my teeth are pretty straight and in good alignment for surgery.
Original post by (Brian)
Hi, I want to ask how long was the period between putting on the braces and getting the surgery? I had my braces put on in 2013 and it has been 1 year and 3 months. I am asking this because I will be moving to Uni by September, but I doubt I will get the surgery done by the summer. They haven't even considered pulling my wisdom teeth out yet, but the ortho said that my teeth are pretty straight and in good alignment for surgery.

I've had braces for 18 months and I should be having surgery this summer. I had my wisdom teeth removed last month and I have a consultation on May
Reply 456
Original post by SAhm95
I've had braces for 18 months and I should be having surgery this summer. I had my wisdom teeth removed last month and I have a consultation on May

I am two months behind you. I hope that they will talk about removing my wisdom teeth next appointment. If you are getting it done in the summer hopefully mine wouldn't be long. Where are you getting it done? I am doing in Aylesbury(Stoke mandeville) it is in the out skirt of London hopefully it won't affect much.
Original post by (Brian)
I am two months behind you. I hope that they will talk about removing my wisdom teeth next appointment. If you are getting it done in the summer hopefully mine wouldn't be long. Where are you getting it done? I am doing in Aylesbury(Stoke mandeville) it is in the out skirt of London hopefully it won't affect much.

im having it done at the royal london hospital. It should be in the summer if not im gonna be ****ing rko the consultant
Original post by (Brian)

I have had my braces since 2012 and have just gotten surgery last week. I had all four wisdom teeth removed August 2013, so the time between that and surgery doesn't matter at all. There's a huge waiting list and unfortunately, when they're ready, they're ready
Reply 459
I have had my braces since 2012 and have just gotten surgery last week. I had all four wisdom teeth removed August 2013, so the time between that and surgery doesn't matter at all. There's a huge waiting list and unfortunately, when they're ready, they're ready

Wow that is a long way. Being the NHS doesn't help, at least we are getting it done for free, can't complain. Did they say to you that it's a 2 and a half year process from getting the braces to the end result?
(edited 9 years ago)