The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spock's Socks
Stressed out to the max! First my dog died, then my car got written off and now my stepdad is in hospital with a mini stroke. All this in the space of a week! Feel like my head is gonna explode :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: sounds like a difficult week. I don't have any words.
I'm signing up to see Relate regarding Redpill because I'm turning into a sadistic troll :cry:

****'s sake Merseyside branch run at £50 an hour!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PandaWho
My boyfriends said hell go with me, but still scary

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course it'll be scary I understand, it's difficult going into town for the same reasons as you- but what you have to understand is your boyfriends gonna be there and he won't let anything hurt you I'm pretty sure :smile:
Feel reallt spaced out in this lecture and nothing is going in. Can't stop worrying about this follow up appointment. They've not sent a letter yet but I still don't know how to prepare for it???? Just hate not knowing what's going to happen.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
I'm signing up to see Relate regarding Redpill because I'm turning into a sadistic troll :cry:

****'s sake Merseyside branch run at £50 an hour!!!

are Relate really the right people to help you? from what I've seen they tend to either be couples counselling or aimed at teenagers with problems about sexuality or stuff like that

Posted from TSR k
lpMobile
o
Original post by CescaD96
Yeah, as TLG can tell you, I came close to doing a stupid thing last night. Like really close.

Really sorry to hear that :hugs: I'm glad you didn't do anything.

Original post by Cinnie
I will ask the doctor on Monday if he's available, I think it has to be signed off by him.

Hope you manage to speak to the Dr today :hugs:

Original post by Pathway
Thank you. :hugs:

I'm still toying with the idea of doing EMDR with my therapist/counsellor, I'm just very nervous about talking explicitly about trauma related stuff because I can't keep myself safe? Like I live in halls and I'm not always able to keep myself safe, so I don't want to freak out and dissociate, etc.

Sorry to hear the infant and psychotic TLGs are having a bad day, did anything set this off?? Can I help? You're welcome to PM me if you need to talk. :console:

Oh that actually makes a lot of sense, and I'm so glad it has worked for you. :smile: That's such a massive improvement! Especially as it is in such a short space of time. I'm just...really scared of re-experiencing traumatic stuff, because I'm never able to control it and I don't have a "safe" place to go to if something happens and I can't cope with it. I've really tried and nothing seems to feel safe for me. :frown: I just don't know how to cope with the flashbacks etc anymore, so I am willing to try (if they offer it to me). Well, I could potentially ask my counsellor, but I'm just scared to. Like I said to TLG, I live alone on campus - keeping myself safe can often be an issue when I'm triggered/not coping.

Thank you :smile: Part of the EMDR process (not sure if your counsellor did it with you?) is this thing called "safe place" which you can use if you start to dissociate or get distressed. It's a bit of a mindfulness exercise. Maybe ask your counsellor if you could do that before anything else? Hope you are feeling okay.

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Therapy finishes this coming Tuesday :cry2: I think that's why the different TLGs are agitated and why the voices are back :frown: I get two follow-up sessions after Tuesday, so not even sure why I'm overreacting like this :erm:

Oh no, therapy ending is always hard :sadnod: I hope the voices have been better recently. Here if you wanna talk :hugs:

Original post by Sabertooth
4 years since I last s/hed.

To anyone who still does; it can be a controlling, destructive force in your life but it is possible to get out of the cycle. If you told me 4 years ago where I'd be today I wouldn't have believed you, but things do get better. :smile:

AWESOME :biggrin: That's a really amazing achievement, you should be proud of yourself :smile:

Things have slipped a bit further. Went into uni this morning but had to come home early because I couldn't cope. I just feel like people are watching me everywhere I go, and I think people are placing thoughts into my mind which I'm struggling to cope with. It's like they are trying to tell me something :frown:

But on the plus side, I got an interview to be a listener at the Samaritans.
Original post by Odd socks
are Relate really the right people to help you? from what I've seen they tend to either be couples counselling or aimed at teenagers with problems about sexuality or stuff like that

Posted from TSR k
lpMobile
o

I think they are. I would imagine my problems are actually fairly immature* and would be filed under teenage problems. For example my problem around gender roles, gender identity, sexuality, and even the insecurity, jealousy aspect…these are things most people would tackle at 16 or 17 from what I understand. I might even go as far to say the fact I tried to avoid this is a major catalyst for my breakdown in 2010 :/

what would you suggest Socky? I really had my hopes up but this'll break the bank, and I AM already on benefits hah

*in the broad scheme of adult relationship issues
I think they are. I would imagine my problems are actually fairly immature* and would be filed under teenage problems. For example my problem around gender roles, gender identity, sexuality, and even the insecurity, jealousy aspect…these are things most people would tackle at 16 or 17 from what I understand. I might even go as far to say the fact I tried to avoid this is a major catalyst for my breakdown in 2010 :/

what would you suggest Socky? I really had my hopes up but this'll break the bank, and I AM already on benefits hah

*in the broad scheme of adult relationship issues

From what I understand from your posts, it seems like you have had a lot of therapeutic input in the past, and from my knowledge, Relate mainly do counselling, and it sounds like you need more long term work that brief counselling. Especially if it's £50 a session, you could be running into hundreds of pounds before finding out it's not the approach for you.

You've said before you are being referred to step 4 IAPT. Could you perhaps talk to your GP and chase that up? That's free so you won't have to worry about cost?
Original post by bullettheory
From what I understand from your posts, it seems like you have had a lot of therapeutic input in the past, and from my knowledge, Relate mainly do counselling, and it sounds like you need more long term work that brief counselling. Especially if it's £50 a session, you could be running into hundreds of pounds before finding out it's not the approach for you.

You've said before you are being referred to step 4 IAPT. Could you perhaps talk to your GP and chase that up? That's free so you won't have to worry about cost?

I did this morning when I got my sick note update for ESA. They said 'try again in 6 weeks'. :frown:
that was me of course :smile: ^^^
that was me of course :smile: ^^^

Ah that's a shame. Waiting lists suck. Hopefully it won't be much longer for you. How are you today anyway mate?
Ah that's a shame. Waiting lists suck. Hopefully it won't be much longer for you. How are you today anyway mate?

err, not great. I have done nothing except once again achieving TSR infamy with an inflammatory yet actually-not-a-troll thread re: my issues :/

how about you man?
Original post by Anonymous
err, not great. I have done nothing except once again achieving TSR infamy with an inflammatory yet actually-not-a-troll thread re: my issues :/

how about you man?

:hugs: Is there anything you can do to help distract yourself perhaps?

Not too amazing either. Trying to write this care plan for uni but feels like someone is playing with my thoughts.
Not coping :frown:

Handed my dissertation in and keep fretting and regretting stuff on it and worrying about plagiarism (got 19% on turntitin). Getting really stressed which is causing the paranoia again.

Thank you :smile: Part of the EMDR process (not sure if your counsellor did it with you?) is this thing called "safe place" which you can use if you start to dissociate or get distressed. It's a bit of a mindfulness exercise. Maybe ask your counsellor if you could do that before anything else? Hope you are feeling okay.

Things have slipped a bit further. Went into uni this morning but had to come home early because I couldn't cope. I just feel like people are watching me everywhere I go, and I think people are placing thoughts into my mind which I'm struggling to cope with. It's like they are trying to tell me something :frown:

But on the plus side, I got an interview to be a listener at the Samaritans.

Yeah, we tried the safe place thing but I haven't really got a concept of what safe is due to the abuse so I'm not sure how to deal with the EMDR anyway. Because for me I just completely dissociate and that can result in me screaming or being completely mute, etc. I'm just difficult lol. I'll be ok, just struggling a bit atm.

could you tell your psych? :hugs:

Good luck with the interview!
For some reason just haven't been able to move from bed in the last 2 hours :/ well, whole morning really, but I *meant* to leave/go to lecture 2 hours or more ago :/ :sigh: just feel lousy. Might be able to see a friend this evening, though, just gotta remember to reply to them :eek: :s-smilie:
Original post by purple-duck
For some reason just haven't been able to move from bed in the last 2 hours :/ well, whole morning really, but I *meant* to leave/go to lecture 2 hours or more ago :/ :sigh: just feel lousy. Might be able to see a friend this evening, though, just gotta remember to reply to them :eek: :s-smilie:

Here if you need someone to talk to. :console:
Feel all shaky and horrible and bad and don't know how to describe it or stop :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:hugs: Is there anything you can do to help distract yourself perhaps?

Not too amazing either. Trying to write this care plan for uni but feels like someone is playing with my thoughts.

I'm sorry to hear :/ :hugs:

er, the only thing I've found (unfortunately) is to try and avoid the Internet, and thing of/do other things. So, give up my addiction :redface:

I'm wondering whether, sadly, I need a perma-ban. Or at least a temp ban. This'll be my 3rd temp ban though :laugh:
Interview tomorrow, nervous is an understatement!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest