The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rakas21
Just shows the gulf between the top 4 and everybody else. Hell the fact that Kei is only breaking in because they are aging rather than because of outright skill should highlight that. Only Del Potro was able to actually compete and even then Nadal's injuries pro ably inflate my opinion of him.

Yeah although Djokovic's level did dip quite a bit in the match the gap in class is still very much evident. In any other era players like Murray and Berdych would have a handful of slams, instead the Big 3 have had the lionshare of titles, then Murray and everyone else is just fighting hard for the scraps
Djokovic has managed to beat Federer when they've met in finals recently, so he's probably favoured to win, but I'm sure it'll be a good match.
Reply 3162
Original post by The_K1NG
Why doesn't Berdych stand on the baseline and just rip his ground strokes? And his serve isn't anything special for his height. He wants to win a slam. Well he ain't gonna do that if he can't beat Djokovic.

Great final tomorrow. Novak played really well in the first set today but I doubt that Federer would let him play like that. The court favours Federer and Federer is well rested after playing a short semi unlike Djokovic, so I see a repeat of Shanghai 2014 SF with Federer coming to net constantly and not letting Novak get into much rhythm from the baseline... Federer in 3 for me.

+1:wink:
Original post by ubi1
+1:wink:

:yy:
Both Federer and Djokovic have had some strange losses so far this season but they always seem to play great against each other so I'm looking forward to a good one
Original post by lizzy95
Yeah although Djokovic's level did dip quite a bit in the match the gap in class is still very much evident. In any other era players like Murray and Berdych would have a handful of slams, instead the Big 3 have had the lionshare of titles, then Murray and everyone else is just fighting hard for the scraps

Aye.

While it's likely this weaker generation will take over (Kei, Dimitrov, Raonic) i've often wondered if this generation is sufficiently weak that the big 4 can hang on long enough to skip this one and finally be replaced by the next Nadal/Hewitt (i.e. players the better part of a decade younger than the last dominant guys).

At least its entertaining though. Even Tomic has been pleasing me recently, perhaps he won't be the next Verdasco afterall.
I don't know about Berdych having a handful of Slams in any other era - he played well in sets 2 and 3 today, but he can be a bit of a headcase in finals.
Original post by Krish4791
I don't know about Berdych having a handful of Slams in any other era - he played well in sets 2 and 3 today, but he can be a bit of a headcase in finals.

He won't win a slam in any era. Too weak mentally and a limited game with average movement.
He won't win a slam in any era. Too weak mentally and a limited game with average movement.

I was trying to find a nicer way to put it :tongue:
He couldn't even reach GS semis between 2005 and 2009, where there were some opportunities here and there
Original post by Krish4791
I was trying to find a nicer way to put it :tongue:
He couldn't even reach GS semis between 2005 and 2009, where there were some opportunities here and there

Well to be fair to him, he wasn't really a top 10 player until 2010.
Servebotterer fires down 9000+ aces and rides off into the sunset with another Dubai title - well played RF.
I've lost my voice from all the screaming. What a performance by Roger. He was so clutch on his serve. It was just like the good old days. I wish he keeps us this level of performance for the rest of the year. Federer might not win another slam again but as long as he can still win these other tournaments and beat the top players in the world, I'm more than happy for him to play for as long as he wants to.

It's amazing how Federer always goats against Djokovic. I wish he does that against Rafa at least one more time.
Federer was brilliant today. There were a lot of very crucial moments in the first set, but once he came through those and took the set it validated his aggressive mindset today. Net rushing a-plenty even if he only won 9 of 21 but it kept Djokovic on his toes nonetheless.

Underlines how Federer is still the player Djokovic probably fears to play the most.
Rafa back in the winners' circle after 9 months - great to see him holding another trophy, even if it is a 250. Rafa's very much a confidence player so hopefully he'll regain at least some of his old form. With David Ferrer defeating Kei Nishikori in Acapulco, Rafa keeps the No. 3 ranking, Kei moves up to 4 (his highest position) and Murray drops briefly to 5, but that can all change.

Things starting to heat up pretty well as we head into Indian Wells!
I hope to see Fed vs Rafa at Indian Wells. I think Federer might just beat him.

What a great start to the year by Ferrer. After winning just three titles in last two years, he has already won three this year. I expect him to qualify for London.

What a great start to the year by Ferrer. After winning just three titles in last two years, he has already won three this year. I expect him to qualify for London.

If he plays like the way he did against djokovic I don't see how he can't beat nadal

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ferrer is a machine. I'd go as far to say that he's been at his very peak for the past 4 years. His presence at the WTF year in year out is testament to that.
9000 Aces for Fed now.

Proof that you don't need a 150mph monster, but rather with him its about placement and skill (goes out wide more than most players and can make it curve a bit to the outside).
Original post by ThatMadClown
If he plays like the way he did against djokovic I don't see how he can't beat nadal

Posted from TSR Mobile

But he most likely won't play like this against Nadal. But Nadal isn't playing anything special atm so should they meet at Indian wells, Federer should win.

Original post by Sirocco11
Ferrer is a machine. I'd go as far to say that he's been at his very peak for the past 4 years. His presence at the WTF year in year out is testament to that.

Ferrer is indeed a machine. He didn't qualify for WTF last year but that's because the guy had lost a lot of finals last year. He was still pretty consistent. This year he has won all of his finals so far and I think he will qualify for WTF.
But he most likely won't play like this against Nadal. But Nadal isn't playing anything special atm so should they meet at Indian wells, Federer should win.

Ferrer is indeed a machine. He didn't qualify for WTF last year but that's because the guy had lost a lot of finals last year. He was still pretty consistent. This year he has won all of his finals so far and I think he will qualify for WTF.

Should they meet in indian wells, federer should be able to get the win, he just needs to keep attacking the net

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest