The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

I have a deferred place for Leeds Beckett, this year, they said they would email me to confirm my place by latest May this year, so hopefully they haven't forgotten about me :-).

Best of luck to those of you still awaiting offers, & congrats to those who has already accepted their offers.
I'm debating emailing admissions at Leeds becket... I'm so fed up of the waiting but I think even if I did nothing would speed them up :/ :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
I'm debating emailing admissions at Leeds becket... I'm so fed up of the waiting but I think even if I did nothing would speed them up :/ :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I suppose you would have nothing to lose. If you just ask them where your application is up to, they may be able to give you a decision. Or it could spur them on to making a decision, good luck :smile:
Original post by nesca89
I suppose you would have nothing to lose. If you just ask them where your application is up to, they may be able to give you a decision. Or it could spur them on to making a decision, good luck :smile:

are you going to call Manchester admissions?
Original post by AmyPilot
are you going to call Manchester admissions?

University of Manchester? They said at my interview they would give me a decision on 2nd March, so I'm going by that date. Even though it's seriously annoying that they have given out decisions prior when they stated that they wouldn't do this because it causes more stress. Grr. If I don't hear back by the time I wake up in the morning I will definitely be contacting them! :smile: I'm not sure if people are so waiting to hear, or is it just me haha
Reply 2485
Does anyone know the official date DMU said they would give out offers? I know it was some time in March
Original post by nesca89
University of Manchester? They said at my interview they would give me a decision on 2nd March, so I'm going by that date. Even though it's seriously annoying that they have given out decisions prior when they stated that they wouldn't do this because it causes more stress. Grr. If I don't hear back by the time I wake up in the morning I will definitely be contacting them! :smile: I'm not sure if people are so waiting to hear, or is it just me haha

I'm still waiting to hear. I've been going crazy all weekend too!! I expect the next lot will come out around 5/6ish like they have previously. At least I hope so! Good luck nesca, really rooting for you!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nesca89

Really feel for you. Track often seems to update in the evening, so hopefully you will hear later.
Original post by Kaylou12
I'm still waiting to hear. I've been going crazy all weekend too!! I expect the next lot will come out around 5/6ish like they have previously. At least I hope so! Good luck nesca, really routing for you!!

Good luck!
I'm still waiting to hear. I've been going crazy all weekend too!! I expect the next lot will come out around 5/6ish like they have previously. At least I hope so! Good luck nesca, really routing for you!!

I'm glad to hear someone else is waiting, even though it sucks at least I'm not alone haha. Good luck with yours, I really hope we both get in :smile: last year I heard at around 9pm! But fingers crossed we hear asap!
Original post by nesca89

It was better to all be told at the same time like last year - will keep checking in for updates! Maybe they think its character building (or they just like tormenting people!!). Admire how strong you are being - hope they tell you soon xx

They do seem to like evening offers! Good luck, is Manchester a favourite?
What are everyone's views on DMU vs Marjon? Still stuck on my decision...
It was better to all be told at the same time like last year - will keep checking in for updates! Maybe they think its character building (or they just like tormenting people!!). Admire how strong you are being - hope they tell you soon xx

Haha, well they should give me an offer just for the stress :tongue: I did have a tai chi class booked for this evening but its been cancelled so now I'll have to entertain myself some other way!
Original post by anomea
Does anyone know the official date DMU said they would give out offers? I know it was some time in March

After the 26th x
Original post by izzydizzyyy
I have the hard decision of choosing between Marjon and DMU... I know the main difference is the size of the year groups...Marjon having 54 places this year and DMU only 25. What would you think of that in terms of the course? I mean a big group could offer more support/larger group interested in the same degree would be nice!! But DMU may offer more individual focus and ahhhh I DUNNO. Any thoughts you have as a current student on an SLT degree would be much appreciated.:smile:

Hey! Well at MU I think there is 42 of us in first year which isn't a lot either! Personally I prefer having a smaller number of people compared to other courses, like you mentioned you get to know people more. I don't think there would be a huge difference in the amount of individual focus with the group of 25 than the group of 54 because they are both small groups if you think about it. I think even if my course had 25 people I would still be just as happy. So I'd go with whichever you feel suits you, maybe look at aspects of the course in first year and see which you would prefer! Any more questions just let me know :smile:
Hi, its really good to see another old friend from last years thread and I think its great for this years applicants that a variety of people from different unis pop in to assist where we can! Is Manchester going well? I am down the road at MMU (would have been your course mate at Manchester if my grades hadn't worked out). Is it how you expected it to be? Is it as manic at Manchester at this time of year as it is at MMU - its all deadlines deadlines deadlines lol

Its lovely to hear from you! Manchester is going well thank you, how is MMU, are you enjoying it? I don't know what I expected really, but I know its much harder haha! Exams were hard but got through revision! Have you had a lot of assignments? :smile:
Original post by Carolina Monica
Heya! I'm thinking of firming Uni of Manchester but still in two minds about it, what made you pick Manchester and where else did you apply?

Hey, I picked Manchester because its not too far away from home for me and it made it easier to commute as I don't live at Uni! As well as that reason I also thought the course content was interesting (although a lot are very similar). I enjoyed the open day which was useful so if you haven't been to the department yet I'd definitely come and visit! If you've got any other questions about Manchester that might help you decide then I'd be happy to answer :smile:
Original post by nesca89

I didn't receive my offer from UoM until they had finished all the interview days last year so I don't know if it will be the same this year too! But I'm sure it won't be long now- good luck!
Original post by gscott10
Hey, I picked Manchester because its not too far away from home for me and it made it easier to commute as I don't live at Uni! As well as that reason I also thought the course content was interesting (although a lot are very similar). I enjoyed the open day which was useful so if you haven't been to the department yet I'd definitely come and visit! If you've got any other questions about Manchester that might help you decide then I'd be happy to answer :smile:

Hello, thanks for answering our questions! I've heard that u of m is mostly exam based, are there any modules where your mark is solely dependant on exam results? Also how many contact hours do you have a week in first year, roughly?! And how easy/hard is it to contact teachers if you need to? That's all! Thanks! :smile:
Hello, thanks for answering our questions! I've heard that u of m is mostly exam based, are there any modules where your mark is solely dependant on exam results? Also how many contact hours do you have a week in first year, roughly?! And how easy/hard is it to contact teachers if you need to? That's all! Thanks! :smile:

In the first semester we had 4 units with January exams, 2 of these units also had an essay assignment and one of them had an in-class test before Christmas. The only unit which was solely exam in Semester 1 was Audiology but then again this could change depending on what the university decide to do with assessments.

In first year you have placement for one day a week for 5/6 weeks so basically you do 5/6 days. They are just taster placements in first year and then in second year it goes up to a 4 week block placement.

Its relatively easy to contact lecturers if you need any help/advice. They all have email addresses which you can contact them on and I have had no trouble arranging a meeting with them if you need to talk to them in person!

Quick Reply

Latest