The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Hahaha, you say that but from what I've heard that one week of "summing over" generally becomes a good month or more of revision. I was at MIT for 6 weeks last summer and that was more than enough for me - way too much pressure!!

Awesome, have serious think about it.

Don't be, it's not their life it's yours - there's always postgrad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if it was a month (which I can't fathom, like how can anything take so long) that's still 16 weeks free a year

Yeah that's true

Original post by Obiejess
Just transfer to another NatSci Uni.

Oxbridge degrees aren't about the course or the atmosphere. They're about the prestige, reputation, and connections. Durham just doesn't offer that to the same extent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No way am I doing NatSci anywhere else
Just transfer to another NatSci Uni.

Oxbridge degrees aren't about the course or the atmosphere. They're about the prestige, reputation, and connections. Durham just doesn't offer that to the same extent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They kind of are about the course and atmosphere... Where else in the UK are you going to find such academically intense courses? Yeah, there are people at every uni who stay and work in the library all day but I think it's safe to say there'll be a greater percentage of people who do that at Oxbridge... It's probably worth mentioning that some of Cambridge's courses are criticised for being overly academic, probably a problem for engineering, not really a problem for NatSci though.

Obiejess
prestige, reputation, and connections

I can't help but feel that those things aren't exactly that important, or if I were to be more bullish, at all, unless you actively want to be a ****ing snob. If you do a STEM degree, you're pretty much guaranteed a job anyway. And Bath was actually rank 1 for industry connections this year.
In that case, either way you'd still be going to very strong universities if you decide Cambs isn't for you. Going to 'Oxbridge' isn't the be all and end all, you'd certainly be as challenged at either of those two.

I'd say, really look into what you want to do and which environment you'd suceed better in - what is your opinion on the 8 week terms? Have you spoken to people at Cambs right now to get an idea of the learning environment? Make a pros/cons list and come to a conclusion.

And, for the goodness of everything in this world, don't be swayed by people touting the prestige factor.

Something that TSR needs to realise. I know several people who have gone to ex - polys and got decent jobs (one of them did media :tongue: ). Your degree/qualifications do not matter once you have experience.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey hope everyone is doing okay :smile: just wondering: how much revision do you guys do at the weekends/on week nights? Do you ever have a day off in the week or do you do bits every day with frequent breaks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Caz_
Hey hope everyone is doing okay :smile: just wondering: how much revision do you guys do at the weekends/on week nights? Do you ever have a day off in the week or do you do bits every day with frequent breaks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a bit wary when people say they're revising now, but maybe my learning style is very different... If I don't have homework on a week night I will probably do an hours worth or two of past papers or revision. I'll mostly be spamming past papers... I usually take Friday night off, as well as the weekends though. During exam leave and Easter I'll work 7 days a week though :smile:

10-15 minute breaks are good, I usually have one after an hour of working.

Also, I just heard about contradiction marks in A level mark schemes, what the actual hell?!
Original post by Bude8
I'm a bit wary when people say they're revising now, but maybe my learning style is very different... If I don't have homework on a week night I will probably do an hours worth or two of past papers or revision. I'll mostly be spamming past papers... I usually take Friday night off, as well as the weekends though. During exam leave and Easter I'll work 7 days a week though :smile:

10-15 minute breaks are good, I usually have one after an hour of working.

Also, I just heard about contradiction marks in A level mark schemes, what the actual hell?!

Sweet. :smile: mystudyplan is a good app to schedule what/when to revise - you put your exam dates in and then it allows you to put as percentages how you want your revision time split up, you then put in how much revision you want to do per day and it sorts it out for you :smile:

What are contradiction marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Caz_
Sweet. :smile: mystudyplan is a good app to schedule what/when to revise - you put your exam dates in and then it allows you to put as percentages how you want your revision time split up, you then put in how much revision you want to do per day and it sorts it out for you :smile:

What are contradiction marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've figured out my timetable, it's pretty hard coming up with a schedule when you have 6 exams but I'm mainly going to be focusing on maths because it is like twice as hard as my other subjects... At least 60% of my revision time will be spent on maths :lol:

Say you have a 6 marker and you score 6 on that - on the next question, if you write something that contradicts what you wrote in that 6 marker, you get all 6 marks from that question taken away from you.. It was something like that :dontknow:
Original post by Bude8
I've figured out my timetable, it's pretty hard coming up with a schedule when you have 6 exams but I'm mainly going to be focusing on maths because it is like twice as hard as my other subjects... At least 60% of my revision time will be spent on maths :lol:

Say you have a 6 marker and you score 6 on that - on the next question, if you write something that contradicts what you wrote in that 6 marker, you get all 6 marks from that question taken away from you.. It was something like that :dontknow:

Oh my god. That's so harsh taking all of the marks off. If they took 1-2 it wouldn't be too bad and kind of understandable but 6?!

I'm a silly idiot and decided to carry on all four subjects to A2 level so have 10 exams to look forward to this summer :erm: really regret further maths A2 though. Got one mark off failing in a past paper we did in class the other day. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Caz_
Oh my god. That's so harsh taking all of the marks off. If they took 1-2 it wouldn't be too bad and kind of understandable but 6?!

I'm a silly idiot and decided to carry on all four subjects to A2 level so have 10 exams to look forward to this summer :erm: really regret further maths A2 though. Got one mark off failing in a past paper we did in class the other day. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know if I misheard my friend but honestly, that sounds ridiculous...

Could be worse though, I've got 15 exams and 6 of them are on my first two days :tongue: then my last exam is 6 days after my second last :lol:
I have a total of 144 past papers to do for my HL subjects :lol:
Original post by Bude8
I have a total of 144 past papers to do for my HL subjects :lol:

You are soo lucky!!

Advanced Highers get like no support whatsoever - apart from Maths.

I've been trying to find AH French past papers and have had no luck so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are soo lucky!!

Advanced Highers get like no support whatsoever - apart from Maths.

I've been trying to find AH French past papers and have had no luck so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm lucky since I'm the last year before a new syllabus is brought in :cool:

Means I have to do less textbook learning

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bude8
I'm lucky since I'm the last year before a new syllabus is brought in :cool:

Means I have to do less textbook learning

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm the same. The Scottish government are doing an overhaul of the current education system and pushing the new curriculum for excellence stuff. I was the last year to do Standard Grades, my friends in the year below had no past papers for their National 5 exams at all.

lol, textbooks. I only have Maths textbooks. The rest of my subjects give me flimsy handouts without enough info - doesn't help when you don't get taught by the teacher either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm the same. The Scottish government are doing an overhaul of the current education system and pushing the new curriculum for excellence stuff. I was the last year to do Standard Grades, my friends in the year below had no past papers for their National 5 exams at all.

lol, textbooks. I only have Maths textbooks. The rest of my subjects give me flimsy handouts without enough info - doesn't help when you don't get taught by the teacher either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn you have it rough man, all the best with your studies :smile:
Original post by Bude8
I don't know if I misheard my friend but honestly, that sounds ridiculous...

Could be worse though, I've got 15 exams and 6 of them are on my first two days :tongue: then my last exam is 6 days after my second last :lol:

Nothing quite like the way the exam timetable works haha. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Caz_
Nothing quite like the way the exam timetable works haha. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

First exam in 3 days and 2 months :woo:

I like my timetable though, it gets the unimportant subjects out of the way early so :biggrin:

Likewise, good luck with your exams too :smile:
History teacher has made comment that has thrown my life out of balance again.

Wtf am I doing.

Just wanna curl up.

He's too clever. ****ing Cambridge grad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
History teacher has made comment that has thrown my life out of balance again.

Wtf am I doing.

Just wanna curl up.

He's too clever. ****ing Cambridge grad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did he say?!?

Can't be that distressing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did he say?!?

Can't be that distressing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My one regret is doing what I thought I should do rather than what I wanted to. Looking back, I should have done history

- from Cam Law Grad, to prospective me, who loves History but will probably pick Law because it's more sensible.

Hearing this from him, to me, was just earth shattering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My one regret is doing what I thought I should do rather than what I wanted to. Looking back, I should have done history

- from Cam Law Grad, to prospective me, who loves History but will probably pick Law because it's more sensible.

Hearing this from him, to me, was just earth shattering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I kinda agree, you need to do what you want in life. Like at the start of y12 I was very average at physics and good at maths; all of my a*s at gcse were in English lit/lang, french, Spanish, essay subj basically and I thought to myself "hm could do essay a levels and have easy ride.... nah science is cool I wanna do that" and even tho it is SUPER hard because its not my natural talent I never regret it
How come you went along the "what-i-should-do" route?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest