The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Please help my significant figures doubt for ISA. R = V / I.

I did 1.27/025 = 5.08, but this is apparently wrong. Should the answer be 5.10?
Original post by CD223
PHYA4
Attachment not found

PHYA5
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425254644.897748.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks I really appreciate it, the attachment for PHYA4 does not work though :frown: :confused:
Reply 402
Original post by Master Sam
Thanks I really appreciate it, the attachment for PHYA4 does not work though :frown: :confused:

Ah really?

It was:
a* = 61
a = 53
b = 48
c = 44
d = 40
e = 36
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 403
Original post by SmartIndianMan
Please help my significant figures doubt for ISA. R = V / I.

I did 1.27/025 = 5.08, but this is apparently wrong. Should the answer be 5.10?

I'm pretty sure your answer should be to the same number of significant figures as the least precise measurement.

In other words, if you divide a 3 sig number by a 2 sig number, your answer should be to 2 sig figs.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I'm pretty sure your answer should be to the same number of significant figures as the least precise measurement.

In other words, if you divide a 3 sig number by a 2 sig number, your answer should be to 2 sig figs.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see, that helps! Thanks :smile:
Reply 405
I see, that helps! Thanks :smile:

No worries! My real EMPA practical is next week. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
No worries! My real EMPA practical is next week. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck!
Reply 407
Good luck!

I'll need it. Got a C last year haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 408
Original post by CD223
I'll need it. Got a C last year haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, good luck. I failed my ISA
Reply 409
Original post by wmavfc
I left it with a solid 2 hour long headache haha. Gonna do the long questions before the MC next one I do see how that goes.

You'll enjoy this then: 4 in my Chemistry, 3 in my Maths and 2 in Physics haha. Not one person in my sixth form year applied to Oxbridge & I had the second highest results in the year last year with AABB at AS. Kind of a small sixth form haha...

Ouch :/ that is the tactic most people seem to prefer, but I do the multiple choice first but without messing around with anything I can't see how to do straight away (usually takes about 30 minutes I think), then the written part, and then go back and forwards between anything I haven't answered/finished in whatever remaining time there is

Your sixth form is so tiny :redface: We've got about 1650 people altogether, I think 4 Physics classes in our year plus 5-6 AS (about 15-20 people each), 6 Chemistry classes (closer to 20 each, but they're big classes for our year :/ cramped for practical work!) + 10 AS classes, about a billion Maths classes (there are about 10 Maths teachers I don't even know all of their names) but ours is the only Further Maths class in our year because there's only 18 of us.
Reply 410
Original post by Lau14
Ouch :/ that is the tactic most people seem to prefer, but I do the multiple choice first but without messing around with anything I can't see how to do straight away (usually takes about 30 minutes I think), then the written part, and then go back and forwards between anything I haven't answered/finished in whatever remaining time there is

Your sixth form is so tiny :redface: We've got about 1650 people altogether, I think 4 Physics classes in our year plus 5-6 AS (about 15-20 people each), 6 Chemistry classes (closer to 20 each, but they're big classes for our year :/ cramped for practical work!) + 10 AS classes, about a billion Maths classes (there are about 10 Maths teachers I don't even know all of their names) but ours is the only Further Maths class in our year because there's only 18 of us.

Thats probably a good suggestion too. Don't think I'd be disciplined enough to just accept when I can't see something straight away though personally.

Haha I can't comprehend what it'd be like to have so many people there! Theres about 50 students in my year but not many do the more difficult subjects at all. Yeah small classes are kind of a bonus but I expect the teaching and most other things are better at much larger sixth forms
Reply 411
Original post by FN510
Yeah, good luck. I failed my ISA

Not gonna lie as long as I get higher than a C this year I'll be happy. Not even resitting the last year one. #noregrets

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 412
Original post by wmavfc
Thats probably a good suggestion too. Don't think I'd be disciplined enough to just accept when I can't see something straight away though personally.

Haha I can't comprehend what it'd be like to have so many people there! Theres about 50 students in my year but not many do the more difficult subjects at all. Yeah small classes are kind of a bonus but I expect the teaching and most other things are better at much larger sixth forms

Haha I'm the same! I always try to persevere but end up wasting time on MC questions I can't do at firsy...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 413
Original post by wmavfc

I'm pretty good at just dropping things because that's my usual tactic anyway, if I can't do something I leave it until later because quite likely I do know how to do it but if I keep staring at it you just end up going around in circles getting blocked up.

To be honest my chemistry and maths teachers are all fantastic so the class size doesn't cause any problems, and all my classes are good groups of people so it's very nice. We've got a mix of teachers though! The maths and chemistry departments are almost entirely good, but the physics department are all varying degrees of awful and some other subjects have pretty bad or just plain boring teachers as well.
Reply 414
Original post by CD223
Not gonna lie as long as I get higher than a C this year I'll be happy. Not even resitting the last year one. #noregrets

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand that; the practicals are just headache and the exam's bs. I'll be starting my second one now, and if I mess that one up then I'll have to go crazy with PHYA4 and 5
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 415
Original post by FN510
I understand that; the practicals are just headache and the exam's bs. I'll be starting my second one now, and if I mess that one up then I'll have to go crazy with PHYA4 and 5

Last year I got an A in the exams so it kinda cancelled out the EMPA. I don't know if I can repeat that this year though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 416
Original post by CD223
Last year I got an A in the exams so it kinda cancelled out the EMPA. I don't know if I can repeat that this year though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got any revision tips? You got 90%+ ums still right so you must have killed your exams?
Reply 417
Original post by FN510
Got any revision tips? You got 90%+ ums still right so you must have killed your exams?

I got 91% UMS overall (273/300). 41 came from the EMPA and I managedto get 120 from PHYA2 somehow. I kept on going through the CGP guide and copying notes. I did the past papers twice each, seeing if I improved from my first time. I also recorded little podcast snippets for when I was out and about and listened to them from time to time.

Other than that, read, read and read the textboox again!
Reply 418
Original post by CD223
I got 91% UMS overall (273/300). 41 came from the EMPA and I managedto get 120 from PHYA2 somehow. I kept on going through the CGP guide and copying notes. I did the past papers twice each, seeing if I improved from my first time. I also recorded little podcast snippets for when I was out and about and listened to them from time to time.

Other than that, read, read and read the textboox again!

Ah okay cheers :smile: Are you using the CGP student book?41y7lY7VbQL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Reply 419
Original post by FN510
Ah okay cheers :smile: Are you using the CGP student book?41y7lY7VbQL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Ah I use this one. Not sure how it differs?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425415109.717716.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending