The Student Room Group

History A2 Russia Paper

I'm taking History Late Modern and we're studying Russia and its Rulers... the paper is a thematic paper so it's really important not to go into narrative but assess the themes. Does anyone know how I would deal with a 'turning points' question?

E.g. "How far do you agree that the establishment of Stalin in power was the most important turning point in the development of Russian government in the period from 1855 to 1956" (in the actual updated papers its until 1964, but regardless, help please!)
Original post by Deagdavies
I'm taking History Late Modern and we're studying Russia and its Rulers... the paper is a thematic paper so it's really important not to go into narrative but assess the themes. Does anyone know how I would deal with a 'turning points' question?

E.g. "How far do you agree that the establishment of Stalin in power was the most important turning point in the development of Russian government in the period from 1855 to 1956" (in the actual updated papers its until 1964, but regardless, help please!)

Heya, I'm going to put this in the History forum for you as you should get more responses there.:h:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=141
Reply 2
Original post by puddles the monkey
heya, i'm going to put this in the history forum for you as you should get more responses there.:h

you should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=141

thank you! :smile:
The first thing to do is plan and you can do it now for a variety of questions. As there is a strong chance that 'turning points' will come up what I would suggest that you do is make a list of themes such as, 'social', 'political', 'military', 'religion', 'economic' etc and then you can make posters listing all of these important events. If there is anything that you can see is common to a few/several of these lists then that is probably a period that will need to be considered depending on the question and the turning point in it.

For this question I would analysised the changes from each of the revolutions in the period (1905, 1917 (Feb and Oct)) assessing the methods of government and where the major shifts occured. It has been years since I studied the Russian Revolution so I can't remember specifics but I would have argued that the major turning point in Russian/Soviet government was the Feb. revolution because it was such a radical change from the Tsarist regime. The failures of the Provisional Gov. also provided a blue-print for what the Bolsheviks should and should not do when in power. E.g. Prov. gov. spoke for months about withdrawing from WWI but never did which caused great discontent amongst the people. Bolsheviks upon seizing power actually did withdraw from the war.
Original post by SirMasterKey
The first thing to do is plan and you can do it now for a variety of questions. As there is a strong chance that 'turning points' will come up what I would suggest that you do is make a list of themes such as, 'social', 'political', 'military', 'religion', 'economic' etc and then you can make posters listing all of these important events. If there is anything that you can see is common to a few/several of these lists then that is probably a period that will need to be considered depending on the question and the turning point in it.

For this question I would analysised the changes from each of the revolutions in the period (1905, 1917 (Feb and Oct)) assessing the methods of government and where the major shifts occured. It has been years since I studied the Russian Revolution so I can't remember specifics but I would have argued that the major turning point in Russian/Soviet government was the Feb. revolution because it was such a radical change from the Tsarist regime. The failures of the Provisional Gov. also provided a blue-print for what the Bolsheviks should and should not do when in power. E.g. Prov. gov. spoke for months about withdrawing from WWI but never did which caused great discontent amongst the people. Bolsheviks upon seizing power actually did withdraw from the war.

Hi, this is not only for you but for all students that are doing all kinds of work from simple reports to complete dissertations.

Get hold of these two books and study them well.

The logical thinking process by H William Dettmer

By fully understanding the process of logical decision trees will enable you to research and lay out your work.

The next book addresses the issue surrounding the gathering of information in relation to the assumption highlighted in the Logical Thinking Process.

Brain Power by H William Dettmer.

Both of these books are about business decision making so you will have to adapt what you have learned in them to your current situation and objectives.

An off topic bit of good advice that I have followed for thirty years.

On the 1st of January every year pick a relevant topic that takes you one step nearer to becoming the world’s most prominent authority on you chosen field of endeavour. Then study that topic in-depth for the whole year. You should be able to go through around 25 to 30 books which you must add to your library of information.

Never ever throw books away, the reference information they contain is far to valuable for that.
Regards Steve.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by SirMasterKey
The first thing to do is plan and you can do it now for a variety of questions. As there is a strong chance that 'turning points' will come up what I would suggest that you do is make a list of themes such as, 'social', 'political', 'military', 'religion', 'economic' etc and then you can make posters listing all of these important events. .

Honestly thank you so much, this has been extremely helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending