The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cholesta
Hi Alison
In light of my son's mitigating circumstances, he has been offered a place to study law. There had been a reference and accompanying letter sent from the school and I don't think they had seen it. Not sure but decision was reversed.

Congrats to your son!! If I am being truthful, I was kind of disheartened when they rejected him, since he went through so much stuff yet excelled in his exams. Hope that everything is gonna be okay!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by *Stefan*
Congrats to your son!! If I am being truthful, I was kind of disheartened when they rejected him, since he went through so much stuff yet excelled in his exams. Hope that everything is gonna be okay!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you Stefan. Where are you thinking of going?
Reply 4182
Original post by benq
I see. I guess I am in no position to offer you that, but if I were you I would withdraw since it would potentially mean offer for somebody else who might actually want go to LSE. At least that's what I would do.

IF I get the offer and I am 100% sure that I will firm UCL, then I will withdraw. Ι know you are stressed, but the delay does not mean anything. You will get the offers!:smile:
Reply 4183
Original post by lolen
IF I get the offer and I am 100% sure that I will firm UCL, then I will withdraw. Ι know you are stressed, but the delay does not mean anything. You will get the offers!:smile:

Thanks. If I do then I will be seeing you at UCL!
Thank you Stefan. Where are you thinking of going?

It's all really clouded at the moment :/

I'm waiting for LSE, as I applied right on the deadline.
At the moment it's between Durham and KCL, and I'm currently leaning towards the latter. I'll wait till the very last day though before making any decision.

Is your son reconsidering LSE now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am glad that worked out for you. Please send him my congratulations. I personally think he should take Durham. It sounds as if that is where he wants to go and it has got a very good reputation. I know internationally the situation can be seen as quite different and it is surprising how few UK universities show up in the international league tables. It is also interesting to see that the few that are in there (apart from Oxbridge) are nearly all in the major UK cities so I am not sure if the leagues are skewed by general international familiarity and perhaps recognition by previous international alumni. I did get the impression from you that originally he really wanted to go to Durham after he was rejected by Oxbridge and that he only reconciled to LSE after having been rejected by Durham. I know a lot of people who have gone to Durham and they have all enjoyed it. A lot of people in my school applied (and got in) who were not Oxbridge candidates so please don't think they are all Oxbridge rejects and as someone said, all of the top universities get Oxbridge rejects. After his personal tragedy he might be looking for the closer intimacy of a less international university. I have found Jenkinsear an excellent source of information. I would ask his advice regarding reputation.

Hi Alison
In light of my son's mitigating circumstances, he has been offered a place to study law. There had been a reference and accompanying letter sent from the school and I don't think they had seen it. Not sure but decision was reversed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4186
Original post by benq
Thanks. If I do then I will be seeing you at UCL!

see you there :wink:
It's all really clouded at the moment :/

I'm waiting for LSE, as I applied right on the deadline.
At the moment it's between Durham and KCL, and I'm currently leaning towards the latter. I'll wait till the very last day though before making any deciwsion.

Is your son reconsidering LSE now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's going to offer holders day at LSE. He's been reading up on it and thinks he'll like it. He knows that he's so lucky to be offered a place. He also likes Durham but thinks there may be more opportunities in London. Durham is also a very good university. Very difficult to make a choice. What college did you get in Durham?
He's going to offer holders day at LSE. He's been reading up on it and thinks he'll like it. He knows that he's so lucky to be offered a place. He also likes Durham but thinks there may be more opportunities in London. Durham is also a very good university. Very difficult to make a choice. What college did you get in Durham?

I'm actually sure he'll love it. LSE is probably THE most diverse university in the UK, which means he'll meet all sorts of personalities!

I got into St Bede & St Hild, which was the dealbreaker for me (no ensuite and catered only!). I think it's the main reason I'm currently leaning towards KCL. Their offer is much lower than KCL's though, so perhaps I'll put it as my insurance (taking both A-Levels and a national qualitication, hence the lower requirements).
I'm actually sure he'll love it. LSE is probably THE most diverse university in the UK, which means he'll meet all sorts of personalities!

I got into St Bede & St Hild, which was the dealbreaker for me (no ensuite and catered only!). I think it's the main reason I'm currently leaning towards KCL. Their offer is much lower than KCL's though, so perhaps I'll put it as my insurance (taking both A-Levels and a national qualitication, hence the lower requirements).

Well there's still a chance for LSE for you. Fingers crossed!
Original post by alisonthomson
I am glad that worked out for you. Please send him my congratulations. I personally think he should take Durham. It sounds as if that is where he wants to go and it has got a very good repsutation. I know internationally the situation can be seen as quite different and it is surprising how few UK universities show up in the international league tables. It is also interesting to see that the few that are in there (apart from Oxbridge) are nearly all in the major UK cities so I am not sure if the leagues are skewed by general international familiarity and perhaps recognition by previous international alumni. I did get the impression from you that originally he really wanted to go to Durham after he was rejected by Oxbridge and that he only reconciled to LSE after having been rejected by Durham. I know a lot of people who have gone to Durham and they have all enjoyed it. A lot of people in my school applied (and got in) who were not Oxbridge candidates so please don't think they are all Oxbridge rejects and as someone said, all of the top universities get Oxbridge rejects. After his personal tragedy he might be looking for the closer intimacy of a less international university. I have found Jenkinsear an excellent source of information. I would ask his advice regarding reputation.

Hi Alison
Have you got any more offers and have you made any decisions?
Well there's still a chance for LSE for you. Fingers crossed!

I doubt I'll pick LSE regardless, but thanks a lot!

Best of luck to both of you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have had all my offers - Exeter, Bristol and Nottingham for Law and Durham for Criminology. I will probably firm Bristol for Law AAA and Durham Criminology AAB for insurance or the other way round.
Depending on my A level results I will decide what to do when the time comes. I would like to defer a year. If I get amazing results I may reapply and may also apply to Yale in the US as this is my ultimate dream. Unfortunately my AS results were rather inconsistent so it all depends on how I do in my retakes and A2s.

Hi Alison
Have you got any more offers and have you made any decisions?
Original post by alisonthomson
I have had all my offers - Exeter, Bristol and Nottingham for Law and Durham for Criminology. I will probably firm Bristol for Law AAA and Durham Criminology AAB for insurance or the other way round.
Depending on my A level results I will decide what to do when the time comes. I would like to defer a year. If I get amazing results I may reapply and may also apply to Yale in the US as this is my ultimate dream. Unfortunately my AS results were rather inconsistent so it all depends on how I do in my retakes and A2s.

Well I'm sure you are working hard now. Yale would be wonderful.
Will keep in touch with you. You've got offers from excellent unis. Well done!!
waiting for thursday is so long haha
Has anyone emailed them to ask for more extensive feedback on why you were rejected?
This thread seems to be going a little quiet!

Anyone heard anything today?
Good luck to all those who still haven't heard :smile:
Original post by Audi
This thread seems to be going a little quiet!

Anyone heard anything today?
Good luck to all those who still haven't heard :smile:

Nothing yet! I expect thursday and friday as there has been a trend of offers and rejections on those days
Original post by rubytues96
Nothing yet! I expect thursday and friday as there has been a trend of offers and rejections on those days

Also around 3pm on those days the decisions tend to come out. Mine was 3pm on a Thursday so I think it's probably automated to be sent out at those times :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't believe there are so many people yet to hear from LSE...they've done a great job on the efficiency front this year haha... Good luck to those still stuck in limbo! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending