The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2015 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gilo98
No, I was in Yr 10 last year so had no GCSEs - doing the same this year though :h:

Careful about A levels done too early: some unis dislike it.
Original post by Random1357
Careful about A levels done too early: some unis dislike it.

Yeah I was quite apprehensive, and thanks for the advice - I did talk it through with a couple university admissions tutors before taking the exams and their view was basically only do it if you get what you could potentially get doing it in yr12/yr13, that's why I over did the revision a bit last year :biggrin:
Original post by Gilo98
Yeah I was quite apprehensive, and thanks for the advice - I did talk it through with a couple university admissions tutors before taking the exams and their view was basically only do it if you get what you could potentially get doing it in yr12/yr13, that's why I over did the revision a bit last year :biggrin:

Well good luck! :smile:

You going to apply for a maths degree?
Original post by Random1357
Well good luck! :smile:

You going to apply for a maths degree?

Thanks, and you too!!

I intend to if all goes to plan :smile:
How long did the integration chapter take people to do?
Original post by ACarter8

Integration is the biggest chapter in A level Maths and will take quite a while to learn the theory
and become fluent in applying it to questions.

"To do" as in complete questions from the exercises, not long.
"To master" is another complete thing.
Reply 106
What text book is everyone using? Is the Pearson book (2005) better than the normal edexcel ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lam12
What text book is everyone using? Is the Pearson book (2005) better than the normal edexcel ones

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just use the normal textbook, it was more than enough. There isn't as much to "learn" in maths as other subjects but you have to practice a lot more...so the textbook isn't really that important if you can find questions elsewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
With natural logs.

For example ln(5x+5) = ln(3x) + ln(5)

Why do you have to have exactly two terms to apply the e function and cancell the logs. Cant i just apply e now and cancell the logs for all three terms?? Please help!!!
Original post by john122334455
With natural logs.

For example ln(5x+5) = ln(3x) + ln(5)

Why do you have to have exactly two terms to apply the e function and cancell the logs. Cant i just apply e now and cancell the logs for all three terms?? Please help!!!

It's like squaring and square rooting, you can only do it to each side, not each term.

For instance, 2 + 3 = 5 but 4 + 9 does not equal 25.

Ln x and e^x are on the same rules.

Effectively in your example, it's because ln(3x) + ln 5 = ln(3x * 5) not ln(3x + 5)
Original post by ACarter8

A week of learning & 2 weeks of practice before i was 100% with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are the first four chapters in C4? can you list them please... PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah that's it piss off guys
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HelloLosers!
What are the first four chapters in C4? can you list them please... PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah that's it piss off guys

Partial fractions
Coordinate geometry (with Cartesian)
Binomial expansion
Differentiation

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Integration is the biggest chapter in A level Maths and will take quite a while to learn the theory
and become fluent in applying it to questions.

"To do" as in complete questions from the exercises, not long.
"To master" is another complete thing.

I remember your name :moon:

Do you do further maths?

Which papers are you doing this year?
Good luck everyone :smile:
There's like 3 more months left, we can do it :biggrin:
Can someone help me integrate this please? This is my working out but my answer is different from the book. It's c4 volumes of revolution. Thank you very much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by strawberrysnow
Can someone help me integrate this please? This is my working out but my answer is different from the book. It's c4 volumes of revolution. Thank you very much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

(ex)2=e2x(e^{x})^{2}=e^{2x}
Original post by rayquaza17
(ex)2=e2x(e^{x})^{2}=e^{2x}

Omg I'm such an idiot!! Thank you! :smile:
Sorry to bother people again but can someone help me with this question? It's volumes of revolution (c4) again.

I just don't really know how to approach this problem - I tried integrating m^2x^2 but that ended up in a bit of a mess...

Thanks again! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by strawberrysnow
Sorry to bother people again but can someone help me with this question? It's volumes of revolution (c4) again.

I just don't really know how to approach this problem - I tried integrating m^2x^2 but that ended up in a bit of a mess...

Thanks again! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Remember that m is a constant so it's like integrating (7x)^2 i.e. 49x^2

Have you already written m in terms of h and r?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending