The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gscott10
Hey! Well at MU I think there is 42 of us in first year which isn't a lot either! Personally I prefer having a smaller number of people compared to other courses, like you mentioned you get to know people more. I don't think there would be a huge difference in the amount of individual focus with the group of 25 than the group of 54 because they are both small groups if you think about it. I think even if my course had 25 people I would still be just as happy. So I'd go with whichever you feel suits you, maybe look at aspects of the course in first year and see which you would prefer! Any more questions just let me know :smile:

Yeah I'm trying to analyse the courses and see exactly which one seems to appeal to me more - however all in all, I'm sure all SLT courses are roughly the same really! There's hardly any info online other than the specific modules that are studied, so it seems hard for me to narrow it down! How has first year been for you? Is there anything in particular you've realised would be really important when looking at a uni in hindsight? Thanks for replying :smile:
In the first semester we had 4 units with January exams, 2 of these units also had an essay assignment and one of them had an in-class test before Christmas. The only unit which was solely exam in Semester 1 was Audiology but then again this could change depending on what the university decide to do with assessments.

In first year you have placement for one day a week for 5/6 weeks so basically you do 5/6 days. They are just taster placements in first year and then in second year it goes up to a 4 week block placement.

Its relatively easy to contact lecturers if you need any help/advice. They all have email addresses which you can contact them on and I have had no trouble arranging a meeting with them if you need to talk to them in person!

Thanks that was really helpful! What year are you in at the moment?
Original post by izzydizzyyy
Yeah I'm trying to analyse the courses and see exactly which one seems to appeal to me more - however all in all, I'm sure all SLT courses are roughly the same really! There's hardly any info online other than the specific modules that are studied, so it seems hard for me to narrow it down! How has first year been for you? Is there anything in particular you've realised would be really important when looking at a uni in hindsight? Thanks for replying :smile:

Yeah you're right they pretty much will all entail the same kind of things! I think what helped me was writing a list of pros and cons for each uni that you're stuck between. Probably something that is really important is whether you have good accommodation so I'd think carefully about where you apply, a lot of international students live on city campus and its very quiet party wise, so that's good if its not your thing. But yeah I would definitely add this to your list :smile:

I'm going to be a peer mentor for first year students next year which I think is really good to help you guys starting out on the course, maybe look and see what universities have in terms of student support and peer support systems etc.
Original post by Kaylou12
Thanks that was really helpful! What year are you in at the moment?

No problem! I'm in first year:smile:
Its lovely to hear from you! Manchester is going well thank you, how is MMU, are you enjoying it? I don't know what I expected really, but I know its much harder haha! Exams were hard but got through revision! Have you had a lot of assignments? :smile:

MMU is great. I agree that its not what you were thinking it would be - the wide variety of topics to cover was a surprise - I knew there was a lot involved but maybe not quite how much lol! We have done 2 placements already - a week in a primary school and just done 3 days in a high school and we finish off the year with a clinical placement. No exams yet but have loads of assignment/coursework deadlines this month - its a bit crazy at the min! Exams are in May. On top of that house hunting for next year
Reply 2505
Original post by JordanC55
After the 26th x

I've got offers from Manchester and UEA but can't decide between them! Anyone got any opinions on the pros/cons of either?
Oh nooo I didn't get into Manchester :frown:
Original post by nesca89

No :frown: aw I'm so sorry x
Original post by nesca89

Really sorry, hope you hear good news from MMU soon.
Original post by nesca89

Noooooooooo this cant be happening!!! So sorry - really hope MMU come through for you
Original post by nesca89

My heart literally dropped :frown: really sorry Nesca, do you think you'll email for Feedback? Hopefully it's good news from MMU soon x
Original post by 0rangesandLemons
I've got offers from Manchester and UEA but can't decide between them! Anyone got any opinions on the pros/cons of either?

I just reckon you should go wherever you felt more comfortable - they all lead to the same qualification. I didn't apply to UEA but I know someone who did SLT there and she enjoyed it. I am familiar with Manchester and its a good uni but I decided on elsewhere. Good luck deciding.
Original post by nesca89

So sorry to hear that. Hope you have better news from MMU. Fingers crossed for you.
Thank you everyone, I feel surprisingly ok about it. I think if I don't get in anywhere this year, maybe it's not meant for me. Just got to wait and see what happens :smile:
Original post by nesca89

Really sorry to hear that - was rooting for you although I don't know you!! Something will come through soon hopefully*
Original post by djavor
My heart literally dropped :frown: really sorry Nesca, do you think you'll email for Feedback? Hopefully it's good news from MMU soon x

I have already emailed for feedback :smile: haha I have to know where I went wrong!
Yeah you're right they pretty much will all entail the same kind of things! I think what helped me was writing a list of pros and cons for each uni that you're stuck between. Probably something that is really important is whether you have good accommodation so I'd think carefully about where you apply, a lot of international students live on city campus and its very quiet party wise, so that's good if its not your thing. But yeah I would definitely add this to your list :smile:

I'm going to be a peer mentor for first year students next year which I think is really good to help you guys starting out on the course, maybe look and see what universities have in terms of student support and peer support systems etc.

Yeah I know Marjon is small in terms of accommodation. Whereas DMU has a lot of choice as it's pretty big. I'm definitely not looking to go out much...but then again would like the option! I know at DMU they mentioned that you have two student mentors from years above which seems really nice!! For me the fact that I know DMU is 2 hours away - whereas Marjon is 3 and a half seems like it is WAY more appealing just for that. Do you know SLT students that took their car to uni? Because driving for 3 years it seems weird having to maybe leave it at home!
Original post by nesca89
I have already emailed for feedback :smile: haha I have to know where I went wrong!

Its only 1 out of 3 - there is still Leeds too (keep forgetting that one lol (well they did reject me last year so I am allowed)).

No comfort I know but I am sure it will all work out in the end!
Original post by AmyPilot
MMU is great. I agree that its not what you were thinking it would be - the wide variety of topics to cover was a surprise - I knew there was a lot involved but maybe not quite how much lol! We have done 2 placements already - a week in a primary school and just done 3 days in a high school and we finish off the year with a clinical placement. No exams yet but have loads of assignment/coursework deadlines this month - its a bit crazy at the min! Exams are in May. On top of that house hunting for next year

I completely agree, there is so many topics to get the basics which I didn't expect! Wow 2 placements already, I bet the ones in a school were interesting though! Hope everything goes okay with exams in May and looking for a house :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest