The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nesca89
Thank you everyone, I feel surprisingly ok about it. I think if I don't get in anywhere this year, maybe it's not meant for me. Just got to wait and see what happens :smile:

Have you thought about maybe looking at unis In extra? Think someone said there's quite a few
Original post by izzydizzyyy
Yeah I know Marjon is small in terms of accommodation. Whereas DMU has a lot of choice as it's pretty big. I'm definitely not looking to go out much...but then again would like the option! I know at DMU they mentioned that you have two student mentors from years above which seems really nice!! For me the fact that I know DMU is 2 hours away - whereas Marjon is 3 and a half seems like it is WAY more appealing just for that. Do you know SLT students that took their car to uni? Because driving for 3 years it seems weird having to maybe leave it at home!

It sounds like you've done some good research about that kind of thing already which is good! I don't know anyone that has taken their car to Manchester who lives at uni because a lot of the accommodation doesn't have parking and if it does you have to buy a permit. But due to the amount of transport in cities like buses there sometimes isn't any point for a car. I know what you mean, its a good thing for me to live at home and commute because I have a car too! You could check the facilities for parking at both DMU and Marjon and see what they say?
I've not had the best of luck this year with two alternative courses and two rejections - i've just been rejected from Manchester Uni lol :frown:. However a couple of months ago I had a change of heart and decided instead of waiting a year, I want to go ahead and study Language Sciences and Psychology at Reading. Do you think I should wait and hear from DMU and put them as my insurance choice or withdraw them completely as I know now that I don't really want to study at home in Leicester?? I have no idea what to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gscott10
I completely agree, there is so many topics to get the basics which I didn't expect! Wow 2 placements already, I bet the ones in a school were interesting though! Hope everything goes okay with exams in May and looking for a house :smile:

Yeah thrown in at the deep end as far as placements are concerned but it was more observation etc as it relates to a large piece of work for a child development study (due in in a couple of weeks yikes). Surprisingly I enjoyed the high school more - didn't expect that - I thought the big teenagers might intimidate me too much!! Thanks for the good wishes - hope the rest of the year goes well for you too! Pass on my regards to other ex-TSR members from last years thread! Take care xx
Original post by djavor
Have you thought about maybe looking at unis In extra? Think someone said there's quite a few

Yeah but I can't apply through extra until all of my decisions have been made. But when they have, I still look and see what's there :smile:
Original post by InDreams
I've not had the best of luck this year with two alternative courses and two rejections - i've just been rejected from Manchester Uni lol :frown:. However a couple of months ago I had a change of heart and decided instead of waiting a year, I want to go ahead and study Language Sciences and Psychology at Reading. Do you think I should wait and hear from DMU and put them as my insurance choice or withdraw them completely as I know now that I don't really want to study at home in Leicester?? I have no idea what to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would encourage you to really think about what you want to do and if it still is speech and language therapy I would think you'd save a lot of time and money in the long run if you spent a year gaining even more experience (work or volunteering) and make sure you are able to talk about how this experience helped you gain skills and knowledge. Not necessarily directly to SLT but development in general as well. I found that's what I talked about in interviews a lot (lots of reflective practice speaking haha) and I've had offers from the both (and only) interviews I went for. However, Reading does look like it has a very good department - and if you do choose that path I still think you would enjoy it very much and could always do the masters after anyway!! Would you not go to DMU if you got in? (why, if I may ask?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh I'm a little in this predicament. I feel I want to study psychology and communication studies at the university of Liverpool if I don't get into mmu. I've just had a rejection from Manchester so I know how you feel. If your heart is on going to reading then withdraw. But maybe you could hear wait and see how you feel if you get an offer from DMU. Keep your options open because you don't know how you might feel
Original post by nesca89
Oh nooo I didn't get into Manchester :frown:

I'm so sorry to hear that. I do hope you hear good news from the other places you've applied.
I would encourage you to really think about what you want to do and if it still is speech and language therapy I would think you'd save a lot of time and money in the long run if you spent a year gaining even more experience (work or volunteering) and make sure you are able to talk about how this experience helped you gain skills and knowledge. Not necessarily directly to SLT but development in general as well. I found that's what I talked about in interviews a lot (lots of reflective practice speaking haha) and I've had offers from the both (and only) interviews I went for. However, Reading does look like it has a very good department - and if you do choose that path I still think you would enjoy it very much and could always do the masters after anyway!! Would you not go to DMU if you got in? (why, if I may ask?)

When i applied I really liked the course but later on (oops) I realised I really wanted to go and study in another City! Also i'm super interested in the Reading course and I would definitely do the Masters but it just depends on which route I want to take to become an SLT. A year out is another idea but I feel that if i took a year out I wouldn't want to return to education?? I dont know haha. But yeah I still have to think about it a lot, thanks for the advice!
Original post by nesca89
Tbh I'm a little in this predicament. I feel I want to study psychology and communication studies at the university of Liverpool if I don't get into mmu. I've just had a rejection from Manchester so I know how you feel. If your heart is on going to reading then withdraw. But maybe you could hear wait and see how you feel if you get an offer from DMU. Keep your options open because you don't know how you might feel

Oh i'm sorry to hear about Manchester! Good luck on your other choices though. Yeah that's similar to mine, I just found that it opened other doors and seemed really interesting! I might just wait because I could still get an offer from DMU and I might change my mind again :-) Thanks!
Original post by nesca89
Thank you everyone, I feel surprisingly ok about it. I think if I don't get in anywhere this year, maybe it's not meant for me. Just got to wait and see what happens :smile:

Worst case scenario there are some courses still in extra! Would you consider some of them?

You've still got Leeds and MMU!

It'll happen!
Yeah I know Marjon is small in terms of accommodation. Whereas DMU has a lot of choice as it's pretty big. I'm definitely not looking to go out much...but then again would like the option! I know at DMU they mentioned that you have two student mentors from years above which seems really nice!! For me the fact that I know DMU is 2 hours away - whereas Marjon is 3 and a half seems like it is WAY more appealing just for that. Do you know SLT students that took their car to uni? Because driving for 3 years it seems weird having to maybe leave it at home!

Come to DMU :wink:
Original post by nesca89
Oh nooo I didn't get into Manchester :frown:

Oh Nesca, I can't believe what I have just read. I'm so sorry for you :frown:

Lets hope MMU come back soon with the offer you deserve x
Original post by JordanC55
Worst case scenario there are some courses still in extra! Would you consider some of them?

You've still got Leeds and MMU!

It'll happen!

Yeah I will consider it, just got a lot to think about. Hopefully mmu will give me an offer anyway haha

Original post by madagascar
Oh Nesca, I can't believe what I have just read. I'm so sorry for you :frown:

Lets hope MMU come back soon with the offer you deserve x

FIngers crossed, thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I'd personally do is go to Reading and then reapply; that was you'll have a year of a relevant course, your a-levels and experience and believe me it helps!

I only got BCC (I think) at A-level but it was enough to get me into Essex where I did a year of linguistics, gained as much experience as possible such as teaching English in Thailand, doing a linguistic project with a lecturer and attending placements with the Speech and Language therapy society and because of that and my 2.1 DMU gave me an offer, despite only doing one year - so if SaLT is what you want then there are worse things you could do next year. :smile:
When i applied I really liked the course but later on (oops) I realised I really wanted to go and study in another City! Also i'm super interested in the Reading course and I would definitely do the Masters but it just depends on which route I want to take to become an SLT. A year out is another idea but I feel that if i took a year out I wouldn't want to return to education?? I dont know haha. But yeah I still have to think about it a lot, thanks for the advice!

Lol, I also took a year out this year and if anything it's made me more determined to succeed! Like when I went to DMU I went with the mentality that I needed this more than anything I've needed in my life as I don't want to work in retail forever. So I doubt a gap year would put you off.
Reply 2536
Got an unconditional from Strathclyde, unconditional from Newcastle and conditional from Manchester on me passing my college course! Was anyone on here at the Newcastle interview on 28/01/15 in the morning? It was quite a small group and would be nice to know who's thinking of choosing Newcastle? I'm torn atm! Such a big decision! The dept at Newcastle looked lovely and i thought it was so nice how the classes were all held in the same building. I haven't visited the dept at Strathclyde yet so will see what that's like on the applicant day at the end of March. Anyone else going to that?? Manchester was such a cool city aswell! Decisions decisions!
Original post by Jen16
Got an unconditional from Strathclyde, unconditional from Newcastle and conditional from Manchester on me passing my college course! Was anyone on here at the Newcastle interview on 28/01/15 in the morning? It was quite a small group and would be nice to know who's thinking of choosing Newcastle? I'm torn atm! Such a big decision! The dept at Newcastle looked lovely and i thought it was so nice how the classes were all held in the same building. I haven't visited the dept at Strathclyde yet so will see what that's like on the applicant day at the end of March. Anyone else going to that?? Manchester was such a cool city aswell! Decisions decisions!

Congratulations, that's an excellent position to be in having such choice! You must be very pleased! Well done :smile:

I was at the afternoon one for Newcastle that day, I agree with you that it seems lovely there!
Original post by Jen16

Hey, I'll be at the applicant day at Strath as well so I'll see you there!

hopefully it'll be good. :.)
Hi all, this may be a daft question but as I'm new to all this I'll ask anyway! Why are some Uni's in Extra if they haven't already interviewed their current applicants? Is it because perhaps they didn't have enough applicants applying to their course or what? TIA for any replies

Quick Reply

Latest