The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MM2B Mechanics 2 - Monday 22nd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Tiwa
Thank you so much!

That's okay! It worked for me last year, so I'm hoping it wasn't just a one time thing and I'm doing the same this year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Would you suggest I do the Solomon papers to revise? Also, have you done any of the papers from pre Jan 2010 as revision?
Reply 42
Original post by Tiwa
Would you suggest I do the Solomon papers to revise? Also, have you done any of the papers from pre Jan 2010 as revision?

I would certainly recommend them for C3 and C4. Not sure if they do any M2 ones. I've done C3 and C4 papers from 2005 but I've not done any M2 papers yet as we haven't finished the chapter :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Thank you!!
Reply 44
Original post by Tiwa
Thank you!!

No worries! Let us know if you attempt any early M2 papers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by CD223
No worries! Let us know if you attempt any early M2 papers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've attempted one so far, but I've only done the questions on topics I'ce covered so far.
Reply 46
Original post by Tiwa
I've attempted one so far, but I've only done the questions on topics I'ce covered so far.

That makes sense! We're very early into M2 so it'll be a while for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just finished self teaching M2 so I'm starting on the past papers now! :biggrin:
The Heinemann book had some very very difficult questions in it, I'm hoping the papers won't be much harder.
Reply 48
Original post by sarcastic-sal
I've just finished self teaching M2 so I'm starting on the past papers now! :biggrin:
The Heinemann book had some very very difficult questions in it, I'm hoping the papers won't be much harder.

Woah well done! Couldn't imagine self teaching haha. Must take so much motivation!
Which topics did you find hardest/easiest?
I've finished moments, centre of mass, variable acceleration and circular motion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Woah well done! Couldn't imagine self teaching haha. Must take so much motivation!
Which topics did you find hardest/easiest?
I've finished moments, centre of mass, variable acceleration and circular motion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I started it in September so it's been a bit of a drag haha! I refused to do D2 though so if I lost motivation I had to remind myself that was the only other option (and I hated D1 last year).
The elastic potential energy bit was hardest for me (I was stuck on the same exercise for like 3 weeks), and I think I found the differential equations bit the easiest. I think the circular motion topics were quite nice too, especially as they're a big thing in one of my physics units so it's nice to see a physics topic given the maths it deserves.
How are you finding it so far? I'm yet to look at the newer exam papers but the 2006 one I did today was really nice.
Reply 50
I started it in September so it's been a bit of a drag haha! I refused to do D2 though so if I lost motivation I had to remind myself that was the only other option (and I hated D1 last year).
The elastic potential energy bit was hardest for me (I was stuck on the same exercise for like 3 weeks), and I think I found the differential equations bit the easiest. I think the circular motion topics were quite nice too, especially as they're a big thing in one of my physics units so it's nice to see a physics topic given the maths it deserves.
How are you finding it so far? I'm yet to look at the newer exam papers but the 2006 one I did today was really nice.

Oh nice! Sounds good! I did M1 last year haha. I also love the overlap with physics!

I've not attempted any past papers yet. I hope to nearly finish the syllabus by about Easter time. Differential equations look good due to C4 aha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh nice! Sounds good! I did M1 last year haha. I also love the overlap with physics!

I've not attempted any past papers yet. I hope to nearly finish the syllabus by about Easter time. Differential equations look good due to C4 aha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only did M1 this year but fortunately I think it's quite easy (especially compared to M2). We haven't actually started the C4 differential equations but the M2 ones just need competency in using e, lnx and logs.
I think all of the maths questions in physics seem easier after M2 haha!
Reply 52
I only did M1 this year but fortunately I think it's quite easy (especially compared to M2). We haven't actually started the C4 differential equations but the M2 ones just need competency in using e, lnx and logs.
I think all of the maths questions in physics seem easier after M2 haha!

Yeah M1 seems really easy compared to this year with M2!
Oh right! I did C3 and C4 before M2 so the C3/4 knowledge is quite nice aha!
Ah that's good! I've not gone over momentum/circular motion since physics so I'm hoping M2 gives it a bit of a cushion in the way of revision!
Reply 53
I've finally done some spring cleaning on my A level exam threads and today have added resources to the first post of this thread!

If anyone wants their resources adding, either post it and quote me on here, or send me a PM :smile:

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
We finished the spec on Tuesday. M2 is the last module to be taught so it's just revision from now on for the taught nodules. I do have some work left to do for the later mechanics modules though.
Reply 55
Original post by morgan8002
We finished the spec on Tuesday. M2 is the last module to be taught so it's just revision from now on for the taught nodules. I do have some work left to do for the later mechanics modules though.

Oh nice! That must feel great. Have you done any past papers so far?
We still have Hook's Law and Differential Equations. Both of those topics have been covered by Core 4 and Physics so I'm hoping that it's fairly easy.
What other modules are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh nice! That must feel great. Have you done any past papers so far?
We still have Hook's Law and Differential Equations. Both of those topics have been covered by Core 4 and Physics so I'm hoping that it's fairly easy.
What other modules are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, it's a bit sad though that I've finished maths at A-level and won't learn any more except self-teaching.
I've done two full papers so far. I got 75 in one and 70 in the other, I wrote down the wrong numbers in a question.

It's Hooke's law not Hook's law.

I'm doing FP2-4, M2 and S2 and have finished all of these. I'm also trying to learn M3-5 for STEP.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by morgan8002
Yes, it's a bit sad though that I've finished maths at A-level and won't learn any more except self-teaching.
I've done two full papers so far. I got 75 in one and 70 in the other, I wrote down the wrong numbers in a question.

It's Hooke's law not Hook's law.

I'm doing FP2-4, M2 and S2 and have finished all of these. I'm also trying to learn M3-5 for STEP.

Well given how freely accessible maths resources are on the Internet you aren't short of inspiration!

I know it's Hooke's Law, it was just an autocorrect typo.

Sounds like a lot of work haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Does anyone else find those elastic potential energy question that involve quadratics difficult?
Reply 59
Original post by Tiwa
Does anyone else find those elastic potential energy question that involve quadratics difficult?

I've not come across these. Gonna do my first past paper for M2 today. Do you mind elaborating what you mean by it involving quadratics?:smile: do you use F=kx^2?

Quick Reply