The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Swansea University Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clytaemnestra
Good luck to you too! Hopefully I will see you at some point then as I would love to firm Swansea, however I first need to make sure it's definitely for me at the applicant day on the 7th March :wink:

Thank youuu! And yes! Hopefully you do 'firm' Swansea! It's such a great university! Have fun and enjoy the applicants day! :biggrin: If you have time, you should look around the city and check out the clubs/pubs/restaurants and shopping areas :smile:

What I like about the uni, is that it's a 'campus' and the accommodation/lecture buildings/uni itself/taliesin arts center (includes a Cinema,live performances,bookstore, art gallery,bank)/sports centre and gym are in one area! It's even close to the beach, and not that far from the city centre :smile:
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Does anyone know about the petition regarding the School of Management? Read a lot about it before Christmas and it was obviously quite concerning, however it seems to have died down a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ccrawford
Does anyone know about the petition regarding the School of Management? Read a lot about it before Christmas and it was obviously quite concerning, however it seems to have died down a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

???
Original post by Juichiro
???

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/safeguard-our-degrees-at-swansea-university
It's all on local news too. Obviously there are two sides to every story but over 1000 signatures.. Something's up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/safeguard-our-degrees-at-swansea-university
It's all on local news too. Obviously there are two sides to every story but over 1000 signatures.. Something's up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seems like something specific to the school of management. I am in the college of science so it does not have an effect on me. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

this is an article recently from wales onlineMeet the family of six living in a two-bed council house who are on a 12 YEAR waiting list for a suitably-sized home Most Read in News

Trending Today Michael Sheen Carl Sargeant Gareth Edwards Leigh Halfpenny Sam Warburton
Popular this week Politics Letters to the Editor Go Green Crime Health Check Wales

Rugby
Football
Business Sections Latest BusinessBusiness NewsCommercial PropertyPersonal FinanceAppointmentsBusiness Opinion
Top Business New images of the Wales International Convention Centre at the Celtic Manor Resort in Newport
Most Read in Business

Trending Today Henry Engelhardt Edwina Hart Sam Warburton Carwyn Jones Lee Peltier
Popular this week Finance Wales Economy Cardiff Airport Transport

Fun Stuff
In Your Area

Trending Politics Letters Go Green Crime Health Check Wales .Wales

[h="1"]Union to hold rally in support of 'isolated' Swansea University colleagues[/h]

[h="2"]University and College Union said 'significant issues' have arisen in School of Management[/h]

39 Shares

Tweet

+1

LinkedIn

Swansea University A union representing staff at a troubled university management school will hold a rally in support of “isolated” colleagues on Wednesday.
The University and College Union (UCU) is asking members to “underline the message of concern” about what has taken place at Swansea University’s School of Management.
In an email to all staff at the university, the union said “significant issues” had arisen in the management school over the past 16 months and members had “raised concerns about how they have been treated” by senior management.
[h="3"]'Message of concern'[/h]It added: “The UCU firmly believes that respect for Swansea University’s policies and procedures, including those that refer to staff relations, is vital to maintain a harmonious and efficient working environment that properly respects the workforce. Obviously, this applies equally to the School of Management.
“At the council in November, both the registrar and council affirmed that we are one university and that Swansea University’s policies and procedures apply to all the university’s colleges and activities, without exception.
“This is a very positive message as policies such as that on dignity at work are vital to ensure consistent standards of respect for all staff across the institution.
“We are asking you to attend the above rally in order to underline the message of concern about what has taken place in the School of Management.
“We also wish to demonstrate that we support council and its resolve to ensure that institutional policies are fully implemented. This is the first opportunity we have had to show support in this way for colleagues who have often felt isolated.”
[h="3"]Latest pictures of the Swansea University Bay campus under construction:[/h]
VIEW GALLERY The planned rally follows a series of heated exchanges between the school’s senior leadership and unions, after a major restructuring process.
The School of Management was overhauled following the arrival of Professor Nigel Piercy as dean in July 2013, but his new strategic direction has not been to everyone’s liking and 25 staff members have left since he took over.
[h="3"]'Positive environment'[/h]Figures obtained under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act show the university has received five formal staff complaints about the School of Management that were “grievance-related” since July 2013.
Allied to that, there have been eight formal complaints from students during the same time period, with issues stemming from “the provision of programmes of study”, “related academic or administrative services” and “facilities within the school”.
The rally will be held outside the university’s main building, Fulton House, at 1pm, on Wednesday, February 18.
A spokeswoman for the university said: “Swansea University prides itself on the positive environment that has been developed with staff and with students. We also recognise UCU as important stakeholders and we respect their right to seek and represent the views of their members.”

[h="2"]Students' union hits out at position paper on proposed closure of economics programme[/h]

140 Shares

Tweet

+1

LinkedIn

Swansea University A troubled university management school has found itself in hot water again after describing certain staff as “a cancer that must now be removed”.
A position paper on the proposed closure of Swansea University’s economics programme describes some of those who teach the subject as a “poison” that is “infecting and destroying the rest of the School of Management (SoM)”.
The leaked document, drafted in October, accuses staff from the former Department of Economics of “blocking change”, “playing political games” and “damaging their own reputation”.
[h="3"]'Certain senior individuals have created themselves into a cancer'[/h]The paper, which was circulated to selected staff, added: “Sadly, full closure is now the only option to stop the poison from certain staff in economics infecting and destroying the rest of the SoM.
“Certain senior individuals have created themselves into a cancer that must now be removed to allow the rest of the school to survive.
Related: Swansea University management school attracts 13 complaints in a year
“The negative actions of certain legacy staff in economics to drag down new colleagues, make negative and misleading statements to students, manipulate students and the students’ union to do their dirty work and seek to publicly undermine the SoM, creates a substantial liability for the school.
[h="3"]'Minimising cost[/h]“Our positive growth and success in other areas (business/ finance) is being tainted by the actions of a small number of vocal and influential obstructionist staff.”
Related: School of Management dean makes defence against 'malicious' puublicity
The document proposes a “two year phase out” of distinct economics teaching at Swansea, with complete removal from the university’s portfolio by September 2017.
In order to “minimise financial cost”, it suggests that the bulk of long-serving senior economics staff are moved to redundancy in summer 2015.
In pictures: Swansea University's Bay Campus under constuction

VIEW GALLERY The revelations add to what has been a tumultuous time for the SoM, following a series of heated exchanges between senior leadership and unions representing staff.
[h="3"]'A big mistake'[/h]Ilana Cohen, the students’ union’s education officer, said: “It was a big mistake to write that the students’ union are doing the ‘dirty work’ of the staff in the school. This is not true in the slightest.
“It is my job to ensure the quality and standards of every student’s education. I am not accountable to members of staff in the school; the work I do is solely directed by students.”
A spokeswoman for Swansea University said: “The economics discipline is central to teaching and research in the SoM and will continue to be so.
“Staffing has been expanded and economics forms part of the multidisciplinary accounting, finance and economics section.
“Applications and admissions to study economics substantially increased in 2014, and we expect this trend to continue.”a further more detailed article
Did you have to post the whole article? You could have linked. So it is just lecturers from the School of Management being potentially mistreated.
Original post by Juichiro
Did you have to post the whole article? You could have linked. So it is just lecturers from the School of Management being potentially mistreated.

Yeah. Hence I said 'regarding the School of Management'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone going tomorrow?
I've chosen Swansea as my firm in marine biology, very excited!!
I went to the applicant day last weds and thought it was great, all the students and staff were very helpful :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pineapplefritter
I've chosen Swansea as my firm in marine biology, very excited!!
I went to the applicant day last weds and thought it was great, all the students and staff were very helpful :smile:

I'm doing the exact same course, we might have seen each other there, i went on wednesday too.
Original post by loooiioool
I'm doing the exact same course, we might have seen each other there, i went on wednesday too.

oh cool! yeah we probably did see each other, do you know whether you're gonna choose swansea as your firm yet? :smile:
Original post by pineapplefritter
oh cool! yeah we probably did see each other, do you know whether you're gonna choose swansea as your firm yet? :smile:

its my firm choice right now yeah, but i've still not seen plymouth yet so it may not be for long, but we'll see
Original post by loooiioool

Hellooo :smile: I'm doing Marine Biology at Swansea Uni too and it's my first choice, really excited! What accommodation have you guys chosen?
Reply 195
Hello guys! Are any applicants here from the North-West of England? I'm strongly thinking of firming Swansea soon, after I've been to the applicant day on the 7th March. It would be interesting to find out if anyone is near to or from my area, it's a long way to Swansea! :smile:

I am :smile: and yeah very far haha maybe better weather though :wink:
Original post by eloisemb
Hellooo :smile: I'm doing Marine Biology at Swansea Uni too and it's my first choice, really excited! What accommodation have you guys chosen?

hey :smile: oh cool! I chose ensuite campus accommodation I think? and then all my other choices were variations of campus accommodation, what have you chosen?
Original post by eloisemb

I've not decided yet. Too difficult to decide!! But I'm thinking the Singleton Campus. Or maybe the Student Village since it's cheaper. What about you?
I've applied for English Lit and Classical Civilisation. I'm from near Preston - not far from Blackpool at all! I thought that most students would be from Wales and the South of England. Not true hahaha :tongue:
I'm from the Wirral, the other side of the river from Liverpool.
Hey,

Sorry for jumping in.

If you are looking for the best of both worlds living in the heart of the city centre within walking distance of WindStreet, shops, cinema and bowling centres with a direct bus to both Singleton and the new Bay Campus check out St Davids Student Accommodation newly opened in September 2014.

We have 382 lush en suite rooms complete with all inclusive bills and contents insurance, social space with pool table and flat screen TV and regular social events throughout the year. Check out our www.facebook.com/StDavidsSwansea page to see recent pictures.

Open days every Friday between 1pm and 5pm so you can take a look around and speak to our friendly on site management and maintenance team and see where you could be living from September 2015.

Many Thanks
Katy @ St Davids

Quick Reply

Latest