The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by grownupfrog
That depends on your scheme. HR (my stream) starts everyone together at the beginning of September, but there are people posting on the facebook group for successful candidates that are starting much sooner...

Could you link this fb group please?
Reply 2361
That depends on your scheme. HR (my stream) starts everyone together at the beginning of September, but there are people posting on the facebook group for successful candidates that are starting much sooner...

Cheers. I didn't know they took people on earlier. It'd suit me better to start in October. At the minute I have a pass for CD (amber for DS) so I guess that would possibly also depend on Department?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Charlie86520
Could you link this fb group please?

I don't think I should - if you're a successful candidate and you're through all the boards etc then you'll be sent the link via your online application portal. It's a private and secret group though so not more widely available. If you're a successful candidate and haven't been sent the link yet then I'm sure you will be in time.
Original post by PJ07
Cheers. I didn't know they took people on earlier. It'd suit me better to start in October. At the minute I have a pass for CD (amber for DS) so I guess that would possibly also depend on Department?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think so. The people who are talking about starting earlier seem to be on specific schemes, but the vast majority will be around that time of year. I don't think there will be much flexibility though - certainly for HR they say that you're expected to start then, and that if you can't you might have to reapply for another year since they won't defer spaces.
Reply 2364
I don't think I should - if you're a successful candidate and you're through all the boards etc then you'll be sent the link via your online application portal. It's a private and secret group though so not more widely available. If you're a successful candidate and haven't been sent the link yet then I'm sure you will be in time.

Where did you get the link? I can't remember being emailed a link or told about it on the phone - is it on the candidate application website?

Thanks
Original post by ailss
Where did you get the link? I can't remember being emailed a link or told about it on the phone - is it on the candidate application website?

Thanks

For me it was on the 'view results' link next to where it said I was successful at FSAC on the scheme progress page. If it isn't there then I'm sure you'll get it at some point. Different candidates and streams get things at different times - for example, many people have their scores and FSAC reports, but I don't... Just have to wait!

Ah ok thanks, guess I will just have to wait then!
Hi!

Does anyone have an FSAC event on the 4th? I applied for the Generalist stream only.

Any tips from those who have been through it? I'm finding it a bit difficult to prepare for! Also I don't have to repeat the numerical and verbal reasoning tests at the assessment centre do I?
Reply 2368
Original post by mapo_doufu
Does anyone know any information about deferring a place for the Fast Stream? Say, for example, you are offered a position, is it possible to defer for one year to do a Masters degree?

I know it is possible on GES, if you're planning to do a get a postgrad qualification in that time. Perhaps it's different with other streams as the uni knowledge is not necessarily as relevant to everyday work?
Reply 2369
For those who have already found out they are successful, did you get an email telling you your status had changed? I am travelling at the moment, so it would be far easier to know I just need to wait for an email, rather than trying to check the website all the time. Congrats to all those who have passed!
Reply 2370
No you don't have to have to repeat any tests. I was succesful for both Generalist CD and DS schemes (my FSB is at the start of April eek) and found the only real area at FSAC worth preparing for was the interview. You need to rehearse your examples so they're both smooth but also pointed in terms of showing you understand the competency criteria. I was fortunate to have my Dad's assistance with this but I think its best to practice with someone else so you get used to talking in a "formal way" but also about yourself which can be a bit disconcerting at first! The other excercises to my mind anyway were so skill orientated that I don't think there's a lot you can dramatically improve through practice. Overall, my advice would be that on the day, when confronted with a task or pieces of information, take a step back and think of the wider implications at play. You don't need to be a visionary, just a little bit more nuanced in thinking about what the civil service wants to achieve in the longer term, who the key stakeholders are in any decision and how your actions would impact on others.
Original post by kadov
No you don't have to have to repeat any tests. I was succesful for both Generalist CD and DS schemes (my FSB is at the start of April eek) and found the only real area at FSAC worth preparing for was the interview. You need to rehearse your examples so they're both smooth but also pointed in terms of showing you understand the competency criteria. I was fortunate to have my Dad's assistance with this but I think its best to practice with someone else so you get used to talking in a "formal way" but also about yourself which can be a bit disconcerting at first! The other excercises to my mind anyway were so skill orientated that I don't think there's a lot you can dramatically improve through practice. Overall, my advice would be that on the day, when confronted with a task or pieces of information, take a step back and think of the wider implications at play. You don't need to be a visionary, just a little bit more nuanced in thinking about what the civil service wants to achieve in the longer term, who the key stakeholders are in any decision and how your actions would impact on others.

Thanks so much for the advice! Ahhh so I should practice my competency questions. So there's no e-tray? I read in a guide that theres a written e-tray test but I wasn't sure how recent the guide was.

Wow, congrats and good luck!! So does that mean you're defo in the CD because the FSB is only for the DS scheme right?
Original post by Fsds56
Hi, is anyone else seriously considering turning down their offer? I was successful on CD but not DS and I just think there are too many disadvantages? I'm 25 and the idea of staying at the same salary level for the next four years, moving every 6 months and the worst thing - having no choice in the departments that they place you, pretty unappealing. Was wondering if I was was missing something or if anyone else feels the same?

I do agree there are certain downsides, like the ones you've listed. But I think that the training you receive is of such a high standard that after the 4 years you will be much better placed to go on and achieve more.

I also think there is the possibility of getting promoted from 2 years (and hence getting a pay rise), and that you do get to express some preference about departments, though I may be wrong about these things!
Reply 2373
No etray- they just use the one you did as part of the previous stage to judge against certain competencies now you've got this far.

Original post by Fsds56
Hi, is anyone else seriously considering turning down their offer?

Yeah I'm certainly wavering- I've got internships with law firms over the summer and that could be a bit of a deal breaker for me. Better pay and trajectory of promotion etc.. just traded off against the fact Id have to spend 2 years at law school and then commit myself to a life of menial tasks and terrible hours.
Original post by Fsds56
Hi, is anyone else seriously considering turning down their offer? I was successful on CD but not DS and I just think there are too many disadvantages? I'm 25 and the idea of staying at the same salary level for the next four years, moving every 6 months and the worst thing - having no choice in the departments that they place you, pretty unappealing. Was wondering if I was was missing something or if anyone else feels the same?

I am seriously considering it. I've been accepted to the Social Research Stream and have been allocated to my first choice department (Welsh Government). But, I've recently been promoted in my current company and I'm trying to weigh up the development opportunities in both roles, as well as the presumed salary drop if I take the fast stream post.
Reply 2375
Original post by Fsds56

It's a consideration - I'm in the final stages of selection for the Big 4 tax in London. It'll be a tough choice. Two very different career paths. I do worry about the rotation and career progression on the CD scheme. The salary in London is a worry, 4 years below £30k with no guarantee of promotion compared with a raise to mid £40ks plus bonus with the Big 4 within the same period. I'll be 27 when I start so I'd like to make the right choice. The opportunity for more rewarding work is the main attraction to the Fast Stream - yet I'm struggling with whether that can outweigh the Big 4 offering when I may end up in Departments that I don't enjoy. So you're not alone.
For those considering turning it down - remember that the fast stream is far from an easy route, and you have to have passion for the work, otherwise the long hours and mediocre pay are going to be irritating you for three years. There's nothing wrong with turning it down if public service isn't your main interest!
Original post by Munster
Hi!

Does anyone have an FSAC event on the 4th? I applied for the Generalist stream only.

Any tips from those who have been through it? I'm finding it a bit difficult to prepare for! Also I don't have to repeat the numerical and verbal reasoning tests at the assessment centre do I?

No, you won't have to repeat any tests. You should have the assessment centre guide (available under the downloads/forms area of the application portal). Read through that carefully, learn the competencies that they're looking for, and revise which ones are being tested in each exercise. As others have said, the only one you can really prepare for is the interview - have several examples on hand for each of the competencies you're being tested on. You need plenty since the questions are specific (ie. examples of occasions when you did something specific, rather than just 'can you give me an example of a time when you showed the skill of building capability for all?'). There are guides online for the types of behaviour expected of civil servants in those categories - look at level 3 and think of times you did similar things.

For the rest of the day, just try to relax and don't let yourself get panicked. And talk to the other candidates - I really enjoyed the day and met some interesting people there. You aren't competing for the same places (maybe not even the same streams as they're mixed up) so having some friendly faces around can really help with the pressure on the day.

And the one thing I forgot to do - check the time when you start each exercise. There were a couple of times when I realised I didn't know exactly when we started and therefore how much time we had left. Woops! It wasn't the end of the world for me since I just guessed and stuck to strict limits but it would have been easier if I'd just remembered to do that :p:

Original post by LS24
For those who have already found out they are successful, did you get an email telling you your status had changed? I am travelling at the moment, so it would be far easier to know I just need to wait for an email, rather than trying to check the website all the time. Congrats to all those who have passed!

I got an email saying that I had a message in my portal inbox, so I logged in and saw the message which said I was successful, then checked the main 'my applications' bit.
Reply 2377
Hi!

I have my assessment tomorrow and I've applied for the HR stream.

I also did it last year and I agree it's hard to prepare for. I would say the only thing you can really prepare for on the day is the interview. Make sure you know the competencies and your examples to support them.

Last year some people had the tests to do on the day but you should know in advance if you'll need to do them. Any numeracy preparation you can do will probably help as you'll need to use statistical and financial data to support your arguments in the exercises.

Hope this helps!

Original post by Munster
Hi!

Reply 2378
Original post by Fsds56

I know what you mean - the moving around is difficult, but I think what you are saying is a worst case. I think FS is more flexible than first impressions suggest. Some things to consider of based on my first meeting with my new FS boss and some current FSers.

The four year figure they give you about promotion is a median figure, as many people from FS get promoted before it as after. It all depends on you - if you can demonstrate that you meet the criteria for promotion when a slot opens based on your portfolio of work then it can happen in 2 years or perhaps less (my boss had been promoted in two years).

You do have a say in your placements (especially as you get experienced). I am in the GSS so I have longer placements, but, something they encourage throughout FS is for you to use your own networks to identify your own placement/secondment opportunities. In this way you can shape your own career. Even if you haven't found a placement yourself, you will have input when you are being moved. They know you aren't robots and they try to honour your location preferences when possible. I have spoken to a few current fast streamers and they all reported that they have had a big input in their postings and have had the chance to undertake short duration placements within their postings (e.g. working in their department minister's private office for a week) to enhance their skills and development.

Your pay isn't static while at HEO/SEO (fast stream) grades. There are annual spine point increases in pay and room to move up within the grade without changing grade. Also, you can start on higher than the FS base-pay from the start if you have relevant vocational experience or a relevant post graduate qualification (although this might be scheme/department specific info).

Fast stream is an accelerated promotion scheme, you get real responsibility very early. The role I will be starting will give me a large amount of responsibility straight away - a scary amount if I am being honest (but if I do it well it will be very impressive on my CV)!

Training is at the centre of the FS. My boss made it really clear that I have the freedom to identify and act upon my training needs. I have never encountered a scheme that is as training and development focused as FS.

Ultimately the FS will be what you make of it. It isn't the best renumeration (but it is above average), however in my opinion the skills you will develop and the experiences you will have are second to none. I think you need to have a passion for public service, be open minded and willing to work in areas you never expected you would. Another thing the current fast streamers I have met said is that a placement can seem really unappealing on paper (based on their own prejudices) but ends up being amazing in practice.

Sorry this is so long. Hope this helps.
Reply 2379
Original post by d41k57
Sorry this is so long. Hope this helps.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I found this very helpful. Could I ask a couple of follow ups - How have you found the atmosphere among the Fast Stream graduates - i.e. do you meet up often as a group, help each other out? etc
- Also what has been the reception to you as a Fast Streamer working in your posts? i.e. Have you ever faced any resentment or difficulties from other staff who may not be keen on the FS? In particular among any staff you've had or your line managers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending