The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It doesn't help I hate the majority of the England squad.
Original post by Pete_91
Rosicky is fast becoming one of my favourite players of all time for Arsenal. If you take out the invincibles he's probably my favourite player after Adams.

He's been one of my favourites for a while. People who work at the club say he is one of the nicest (along with Arteta), he is loyal to a fault, and even now, he is our little Mozart.
Original post by Gob Bluth
With Walcott approaching the final year of his contract can see him going for 20m in the summer. I struggle to see him signing a contract extension based on his current situation which means if he doesn't get sold in the summer he will go on a free the following summer. Then again I haven't looked into this much so giving an opinion of which I havent looked into much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Walcott is going to reach a peak where he bangs them in for fun, then signs a contract extension, then gets injured for 6 months.

That tends to happen with Arsenal players.
Original post by Mackay
Imagine the night out if England won the WC...

I'm club > country every time though.

Same. Liverpool would be a great night out if they won it.
Tbh, this shows why we are so **** as a national side, people have stopped caring.

All English football fans are stopping the progress of the national team, supporters of premier league sides don't want foreign player caps introduced because it will lower the quality of the league (and the short run prospects of English teams in Europe, even if there are long term benefits, e.g. Spain and Barca, Germany and Bayern).

Supporters of lower league teams don't want the introduction of B teams apart from in the JPT which is a bit pathetic tbf, effectively the league cup equivalent for lower league sides. The logical solution would be to increase the number of English players that lower league teams can loan, my local league 2 team has benefited from loaning out the odd Arsenal, Spurs or even Brentford or Fulham player, but fans then hate teams who simply loan players because there is a loss of culture in the club, you're just a feeder and nothing more.

We also hate teams that abuse the loan system like Watford (although in fairness that was just borrowing Italian players from the owners main team).

Right now there's little hope of a solution to the problem, B teams won't be introduced any time soon, whilst rules on loan deals are too strict and limit your number of loan deals. The solution seems simple, just lower the rules on loaning to allow links between top teams and lower league teams to grow and increase the amount of experience young players can get, perhaps even allow more loan windows so players can return to clubs in injury crisis more easily, so top teams will be able to loan out more players with less risk, but whether it'll come about with loads of teams playing hard ball I am sceptical of
Original post by leinad2012
Tbh, this shows why we are so **** as a national side, people have stopped caring.

All English football fans are stopping the progress of the national team, supporters of premier league sides don't want foreign player caps introduced because it will lower the quality of the league (and the short run prospects of English teams in Europe, even if there are long term benefits, e.g. Spain and Barca, Germany and Bayern).

Supporters of lower league teams don't want the introduction of B teams apart from in the JPT which is a bit pathetic tbf, effectively the league cup equivalent for lower league sides. The logical solution would be to increase the number of English players that lower league teams can loan, my local league 2 team has benefited from loaning out the odd Arsenal, Spurs or even Brentford or Fulham player, but fans then hate teams who simply loan players because there is a loss of culture in the club, you're just a feeder and nothing more.

We also hate teams that abuse the loan system like Watford (although in fairness that was just borrowing Italian players from the owners main team).

Right now there's little hope of a solution to the problem, B teams won't be introduced any time soon, whilst rules on loan deals are too strict and limit your number of loan deals. The solution seems simple, just lower the rules on loaning to allow links between top teams and lower league teams to grow and increase the amount of experience young players can get, perhaps even allow more loan windows so players can return to clubs in injury crisis more easily, so top teams will be able to loan out more players with less risk, but whether it'll come about with loads of teams playing hard ball I am sceptical of

But the PL is no longer the 'best' league - it no longer has the best players, and is no longer the most competitive - in the world. So surely a change is overdue? The problem with the PL is that we've so accustomed to seeing decent foreign players every week that there is an overwhelming amount of foreign rubbish that must be watched every week because managers are scared to take risks with British players.
Taking risks with British players, see Liverpool 2011 and Manchester United with Cleverley+Welbeck and see how that worked out?
Original post by Stalin
But the PL is no longer the 'best' league - it no longer has the best players, and is no longer the most competitive - in the world. So surely a change is overdue? The problem with the PL is that we've so accustomed to seeing decent foreign players every week that there is an overwhelming amount of foreign rubbish that must be watched every week because managers are scared to take risks with British players.

Think the managers are too scared to take a risk with British players is because you can get a foreign player who would likely cost cheaper than buying a British player while having the same ability

Posted from TSR Mobile

The rejection of the B team proposal was a good thing tbh. The introduction of B teams won't help the national team, they would just help the top clubs in England. The top clubs will continue just buying youngsters from across Europe and stick them in their B teams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much did he even play in the WC? Can't remember him playing 1 game tbh (though I may be completely wrong). It's like Pepe Reina, he may have "won" the WC and 2 European Championships, but if you haven't played a single game including all the competitive qualification games, have you really played a part in "winning" the WC or Euros?

Dont think that is quite a fair comparison..

mert started 4 of their 7 games, and was substituted on in the other 2.. only missing 1 game.

not to mention starting almost all of their qualification games, and scoring 2 goals in qualification.

Certianly deserves his medal as much as the next guy.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Dont think that is quite a fair comparison..

mert started 4 of their 7 games, and was substituted on in the other 2.. only missing 1 game.

not to mention starting almost all of their qualification games, and scoring 2 goals in qualification.

Certianly deserves his medal as much as the next guy.

Really? Wow I take it back then man deserved his medal, tbh I didn't pay my h attention to the WC because of exams and we were out by the time I finished

Didn't realise he played so many games, I thought he was only their sub cb tbh.

Still, I can see him going tbh, if he doesn't have the drive anymore then his service es aren't needed at this club, that's probably why Arsene has him as stand in captain, so another team will snap him up viera, rvp, fav, verm style
Original post by Stalin

I agree the pl isnt the best league in the world, but your average drunk middle age football fan still thinks it is because its competitive. Tbh English players are overpriced and overpaid, far too many examples to give. Chairmen of lower league teams have said so many times that you can buy a player of the same quality for half the price and half the wages
Original post by Jamiesonn
The rejection of the B team proposal was a good thing tbh. The introduction of B teams won't help the national team, they would just help the top clubs in England. The top clubs will continue just buying youngsters from across Europe and stick them in their B teams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

B teams would only work if there were caps on foreign players in the team, but I can't see them working any time soon because pur whole footballing system is based on having lots of smaller teams, no other country has the same number of professional leagues.

I personally think improving the loan system to allow a higher number of say under-25 English players to be loaned and multiple loan windows would help a lot, as often failing players will be snapped up by lower league teams and if a top team has an injury crisis its easy for them recall the players and for the lower league team to find a replacement
The only players I like from the England side are Southampton players and Liverpool players. None of the others say anything to me. There was a time you could identify with English footballers - Gascoigne, Pearce, Adams, Ince, Scholes, Shearer, Beckham, Owen - now we've just got players who look like they belong in the local Yates sinking jagerbombs and ****ting in pint glasses.
So Wilshere will apparently be out for our FA cup tie with United aswell as tomorrow's game with QPR :frown:
Let's face it Wilshere will end up being the white Diaby.
Reply 3096
Really fancy Wilshere in the bigger games, he's a real battler. His injuries make him very underrated, and are making it a far longer wait for him to get to his best. People forget he's only turned 23, there's still plenty if time for him to peak. I just hope injuries don't keep holding him back.

Could really have done with him vs United.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425387060.873718.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Too much of the white stuff, Jackie boy.
Original post by SA-1
Really fancy Wilshere in the bigger games, he's a real battler. He's injuries make him very underrated, and are making it a far longer wait for him to get to his best. People forget he's only turned 23, there's still plenty if time for him to peak. I just hope injuries don't keep holding him back.

Could really have done with him vs United.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425387060.873718.jpg

Would have been great to have him back against United. The quality I love most about Jack is that he has an inanimate amount of tenacity and drive when he's on the pitch, always pressing and holding down our midfield well. What kind of formation do you want going into the game with United knowing Jack is out?
I am the exact opposite. I think our English squad are nice (Ox, Walcott, Chambers, Gibbs), but Wilshere is a chainsmoking little chav.

I don't mind City's English players, or Southampton's, but I dislike Liverpool's and Chelsea's. United's are meh.

Latest