The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qasidb
How does the work load in 3rd year compare to the previous years? I heard that the 'final' exams start really early, like from around November.

Posted from TSR Mobile

3rd year is a good year as the workload is much more manageable. You can pre-term your winter exams (doing them before exam period starts), which can happen as early as November for some subjects, or you can do the winter subjects at the exam period (end of January).
Original post by VoodooTik
3rd year is a good year as the workload is much more manageable. You can pre-term your winter exams (doing them before exam period starts), which can happen as early as November for some subjects, or you can do the winter subjects at the exam period (end of January).

Thanks for the info. Can I ask which faculty you study at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, do you like living in Prague? Is it possible to have fun and pass your exams at the same time?
And what's the drop out rate about?

I'm sorry for all those questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qasidb
Thanks for the info. Can I ask which faculty you study at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

First Faculty
Original post by rafaelpires
Thanks, do you like living in Prague? Is it possible to have fun and pass your exams at the same time?
And what's the drop out rate about?

I'm sorry for all those questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Prague is great to live in as the cost of living is noticeably cheaper than other major cities e.g. London.

For the first two years, you should go out only once a week and just make sure you pass all the tests and exams. Afterwards, you can let your hair down a bit more :wink:

A lot of students dropout from Charles in the first two years either because they realise that Medicine isn't for them or the uni kicks them out because they don't pass enough subjects to get above 50 credits.
Reply 365
I will be going into fifth year. There is a wide mix of nationalities in Charles. Most students that enrol are postgraduates or people that have taken gap years.

Hey! Firstly, thank you for all the information you've posted.

I'm applying to Charles University from India this year and I wanted to ask you a few questions:

1. I got 9 A*s (out of 9 subjects) in my IGCSE's (similar to GCSEs) and i'm expecting a 70-80% in my 12th Grade exams. Are these grades good enough for admission?
2. I had a look at some of the sample papers for the entrance exam, and found them pretty simple. Is the level of difficulty along the same lines?
3. how different are the First and Second Faculties from the Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove? I have no financial issues whatsoever, but the agency from India that helps in the admission process has given us admission forms for Hradec, so i just want to be sure.
4. This question may seem silly, but are Indians and other Asians discriminated against? Not necessarily in the University, but in the city in general? Like at pubs, bars, clubs etc?
5. Is getting a flat easy, and do you recommend it?
Original post by rehanr
Hey! Firstly, thank you for all the information you've posted. I'm replying to your post in 2015 and it's still really helpful, so thank you!
How is has your course been over these past 3 years?

I'm applying to Charles University from India this year and I wanted to ask you a few questions:
1. I got 9 A*s (out of 9 subjects) in my IGCSE's (similar to GCSEs) and i'm expecting a 70-80% in my 12th Grade exams. Are these grades good enough for admission?
2. I had a look at some of the sample papers for the entrance exam, and found them pretty simple. Is the level of difficulty along the same lines?
3. how different are the First and Second Faculties from the Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove? I have no financial issues whatsoever, but the agency from India that helps in the admission process has given us admission forms for Hradec, so i just want to be sure.
4. This question may seem silly, but are Indians and other Asians discriminated against? Not necessarily in the University, but in the city in general? Like at pubs, bars, clubs etc?

Hope you reply soon. thank you!

1. Yes
2. Yes - give or take
3. I don't know much about Hradec Kralove so I can't answer that question
4. The old people just look at you in a weird way, but all the other generations don't have a problem
Reply 367
Original post by dggs123
Hey guys :smile: I'm currently studying first year Medicine in Charles University, Hradec Kralove. If you have any questions, just ask away :smile:

Hey! Finally someone studying in the Faculty at Hradec Kralove - all I've been seeing on this thread is about Prague! Anyway, I'm applying to the Faculty of Medicine in Hradec Kralove this year from India and I was wondering, what are the main differences between the First Faculty in Prague and the Faculty in Hradec Kralove? Are they on-par with each other?

Would you recommend getting a flat after/within the first year, or are the college accommodations good enough for at least the first year? And is it easy to find an apartment?

Furthermore, how are the people in the university and otherwise? Are they friendly? How's the city, and how often do you get to go out? Or is it just work work work?
Hey! I'm considering applying to study medicine at one of the Charles University faculties and I was wondering if people could give me advice for the process of filling out the application form? Also, concerning the entrance exams, has anyone gone to Prague to take the tests and if so, did they apply to all of the faculties? And is it better to take the SAT test or do the entrance exam? Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Prague is great to live in as the cost of living is noticeably cheaper than other major cities e.g. London.

For the first two years, you should go out only once a week and just make sure you pass all the tests and exams. Afterwards, you can let your hair down a bit more :wink:

A lot of students dropout from Charles in the first two years either because they realise that Medicine isn't for them or the uni kicks them out because they don't pass enough subjects to get above 50 credits.

Hey, I'm not sure if you've answered this already, can't remember after reading through this whole thread plus others, but how did you find learning Czech alongside the main syllabus? And is your Czech at such a level that conversing with patients during clinical training is fairly easy? Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anna.28
Hey, I'm not sure if you've answered this already, can't remember after reading through this whole thread plus others, but how did you find learning Czech alongside the main syllabus? And is your Czech at such a level that conversing with patients during clinical training is fairly easy? Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Learning Czech alongside the course is challenging as you are juggling many tests along with the Czech tests. You only learn Czech until the end of third year and after that, most of it escapes your brain. However, some Czech still remains in your head to string something up to say to the patients. Also, you won't be talking to the patient on your own so you and other students in the group can manage to string something of relevance together to ask the patient.
Learning Czech alongside the course is challenging as you are juggling many tests along with the Czech tests. You only learn Czech until the end of third year and after that, most of it escapes your brain. However, some Czech still remains in your head to string something up to say to the patients. Also, you won't be talking to the patient on your own so you and other students in the group can manage to string something of relevance together to ask the patient.

Okay, thanks!! And when you learn latin there, what kind of stuff does it involve? Just asking because I'm learning Advanced Higher Latin in school and was wondering if that would be of any use/help if I studied at Charles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anna.28
Okay, thanks!! And when you learn latin there, what kind of stuff does it involve? Just asking because I'm learning Advanced Higher Latin in school and was wondering if that would be of any use/help if I studied at Charles.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't remember what the exact syllabus was because I hated Latin with a passion, but it's good that you are learning Latin to a high level because that means that you will understand the lessons really well; the teaching in Latin at Charles is very poor, but everyone passes because most of the teachers are lenient. Also, if you are confident enough, you can take the credit tests and the exam early so you have more time to focus on the other tougher exams.
I don't remember what the exact syllabus was because I hated Latin with a passion, but it's good that you are learning Latin to a high level because that means that you will understand the lessons really well; the teaching in Latin at Charles is very poor, but everyone passes because most of the teachers are lenient. Also, if you are confident enough, you can take the credit tests and the exam early so you have more time to focus on the other tougher exams.

That's good to hear, thanks!! Also, I assume you may be biased towards the first faculty, but which is considered to be the best faculty? I'm thinking of applying to all three which means I'll have to go to each of the entrance exams in Prague :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, I am going to state my very generalised opinion here:-

First Fac is the best because a) bias and b) best reputation out of the three

Second Fac is good and the tuition fee is like a third of First Fac, but it shows in the infrastructure (I'm not sure if there is any difference in the quality of teaching)

All I know about Third Fac is that it's full of Norwegians
Okay, I am going to state my very generalised opinion here:-

First Fac is the best because a) bias and b) best reputation out of the three

Second Fac is good and the tuition fee is like a third of First Fac, but it shows in the infrastructure (I'm not sure if there is any difference in the quality of teaching)

All I know about Third Fac is that it's full of Norwegians

Hahaha okay, thanks for all the help!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone!
I'm interested in studying medicine in Prague at Charles first university or second and I am also considering Brno for September 2015. The thing that I am worried about is that the date of the entrance exam for Charles first university is in the middle of my finals ( I am currently into my first year of a biology bachelor). but on their website they said that there is an additional term on July for those with a serious reason. How can I take the exam on that date?
Also, I studied in the french educational system during my hole life and I am not sure about the topics that we might be tested on,
is there anyone who can provide me with information?
Hi
Is anyone applying to charles university for thr the 2015 entry? Would someone please inform me on how the whole application process works? Also do you sit the entrance exam before or after sending the application form?
Reply 379
Hi guys,
First time posting so please go easy on me. So I'm currently in the process of applying to charles uni for medicine. I'm aware that the entrance exams are based on A-levels from the UK, but I'm finding preparing for the exams a little challenging without any sample/practice questions. I was wondering if anyone could maybe point me in the right direction in terms of revision and exam practice and if anyone maybe has any sample questions that they used during their preparation that they could possibly share.
Much appreciated.

Latest

Trending

Trending