The Student Room Group

Should I Take Psychology Or Geography For GCSE?

I am really confused about what I want to choose for my GCSE options. I'll list all the ones I want to take/are compulsory:
(Compulsory):
-Maths
-English Language
-English Literature
-Science (Physics, Chemistry & Biology)
-Business Studies (my school is a Business and Enterprise school)

(My Options - we get four options, but because I am in the higher tiers, I must do one modern foreign language)
-Italian (the only modern foreign language I take)
-Triple science option
-History
-Geography or Psychology

Now I'm just wondering what would be the best option for me to take between Geography and Psychology. So my questions are: which one is more enjoyable and easy? Is it a good decision to take two humanities? What are your opinions on the subjects?

As for what I want to do later in life - well, fact is, I don't know! So I'd like to keep as many options for career change open as I possibly can. However, I know I want to maybe go into accounting or law, or if I cannot get into those professions, I would probably become an estate agent. But that is just a really rough idea of what I might want to do, so I might deicide I don't want to do any of those. WHAT DO I DO??

EDIT: Thanks everyone for your advice/opinion, I've chosen psychology because I think geograpy is, although enjoyable, a bit too tedious and repetitive, especially the CW!! :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I didn't do psychology GCSE, but I did it for AS. I think that (seeing as you're not sure what you want to do in the future)- geography is better as it's more broad. Plus, as I mentioned, you can always take up psychology later, whereas I get the impression this is more difficult with geography :smile:
Well, i would personally take geography because it's one of those subject that people respect. It would also be a good Gcse to put in your CV. If you want to do psychology, you could always do it in Alevel. It's your choice really
I do Psychology at GCSE and it's brilliant! :smile:
Original post by Ezme39
I didn't do psychology GCSE, but I did it for AS. I think that (seeing as you're not sure what you want to do in the future)- geography is better as it's more broad. Plus, as I mentioned, you can always take up psychology later, whereas I get the impression this is more difficult with geography :smile:

I am just so torn between these subjects because I don't know if I'll enjoy them! But thanks anyway!
Original post by Rockyboy
Well, i would personally take geography because it's one of those subject that people respect. It would also be a good Gcse to put in your CV. If you want to do psychology, you could always do it in Alevel. It's your choice really

Thank you! I'm just not really sure if I will do well in Geography - for the last couple pieces of work I got 8b and 8c.
Original post by iMacJack
I do Psychology at GCSE and it's brilliant! :smile:

Awesome! Haha
Is it hard or easy? Do you have to memorize a lot of work? I talked to the psychology teacher at my school and she said our workbooks would become our revision guides because they don't have any as of yet.

Thanks!
Original post by donkey.kong
Thank you! I'm just not really sure if I will do well in Geography - for the last couple pieces of work I got 8b and 8c.

Well, considering I achieved a 6a at Geography before GCSE and am predicted an A*, I think you will do just fine! :biggrin:
Original post by lubna1998
Well, considering I achieved a 6a at Geography before GCSE and am predicted an A*, I think you will do just fine! :biggrin:

Good for you! Thanks again for your input!

Come on you get 8B and 8C. That's like a A/A* borderline in gcse
*REP*
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rockyboy
Come on you get 8B and 8C. That's like a A/A* borderline in gcse

I guess I just don't have confidence in myself!
Awesome! Haha
Is it hard or easy? Do you have to memorize a lot of work? I talked to the psychology teacher at my school and she said our workbooks would become our revision guides because they don't have any as of yet.

Thanks!

It isn't easy, but then neither is Geography, and what I can promise is that is it VERY interesting, for example, you learn what makes criminals criminals, and how to tell if someone is lying to you via their body language. You will have to memorize quite a lot but it is quite similar to geography in the way it has case studies, I can't talk a lot about Geography, but psychology is brilliant.
I do Psychology at GCSE and I would definitely recommend it! I love it and so does everyone in my class - the majority of us are continuing the subject at A Level next year :smile:
Original post by iMacJack
It isn't easy, but then neither is Geography, and what I can promise is that is it VERY interesting, for example, you learn what makes criminals criminals, and how to tell if someone is lying to you via their body language. You will have to memorize quite a lot but it is quite similar to geography in the way it has case studies, I can't talk a lot about Geography, but psychology is brilliant.

ARGHHH this is so confusing! I've literally got to hand in my options form on Thursday this week!
ARGHHH this is so confusing! I've literally got to hand in my options form on Thursday this week!

All I can say is you will not regret it! :wink:
PM me if you want more info, be specific about what you wanna know tho! :smile: Will reply at around 7:30 PM, going for a shower.
Original post by Purple-Pixie
I do Psychology at GCSE and I would definitely recommend it! I love it and so does everyone in my class - the majority of us are continuing the subject at A Level next year :smile:

That's great!:smile: Do you find it to be quite challenging and do you do a humanity/humanities as well?
That's great!:smile: Do you find it to be quite challenging and do you do a humanity/humanities as well?

I don't find it too challenging, although there are a lot of case studies to remember for the exam (which I think would be the same situation for Geography too!). Yes, I do a humanity subject too (R.S) :smile:
Reply 17
I took both :smile: Both have many case studies, but I personally find psychology more interesting. I'm not sure what exam board you would be on, but for psychology there were 10 topics, and only 6 for geography (both AQA) This course has no coursework for psychology, but geography does have coursework
Original post by Purple-Pixie
I don't find it too challenging, although there are a lot of case studies to remember for the exam (which I think would be the same situation for Geography too!). Yes, I do a humanity subject too (R.S) :smile:

Ahh yes I find R.S. very easy and interesting however I definitely want to continue with History, and maybe Geography (as stated many times haha) so it would not be taken into consideration. And I certainly enjoy psychology related topics and what-not. I guess I'll just have to suck it up and decide quickly!:biggrin:
Original post by jd_xox
I took both :smile: Both have many case studies, but I personally find psychology more interesting. I'm not sure what exam board you would be on, but for psychology there were 10 topics, and only 6 for geography (both AQA) This course has no coursework for psychology, but geography does have coursework

Both would be AQA for mine too, so I'm aware of the specifications :biggrin:! 10 topics! That quite a bit more than 6 haha! Do you do another humanity?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest