The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by CD223
Ah I use this one. Not sure how it differs?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425415109.717716.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have both of them and the one with the wider white/cream stripe at the top with two spheres on is a lot thicker and more like a text book but the other one is thinner and more like a revision guide :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 421
Well I'm only about a week delayed getting these PHYA4 notes done and scanned in... I have no clue whether they'll actually be any use to anyone (and you'll have to ignore the fact that you can see the back of each page) but feel free to do whatever with them if you think they'll help. Probably end up changing some bits once I've done more exam papers anyway.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 422
Original post by _Caz_
I have both of them and the one with the wider white/cream stripe at the top with two spheres on is a lot thicker and more like a text book but the other one is thinner and more like a revision guide :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah right! I have the main AQA book as the "textbook" then this as revision. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 423
Original post by Lau14
Well I'm only about a week delayed getting these PHYA4 notes done and scanned in... I have no clue whether they'll actually be any use to anyone (and you'll have to ignore the fact that you can see the back of each page) but feel free to do whatever with them if you think they'll help. Probably end up changing some bits once I've done more exam papers anyway.

Spoiler

Thank you SO much! They're brilliant! I'll upload mine when they're done in a week or so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 424
Original post by CD223
Ah I use this one. Not sure how it differs?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1425415109.717716.jpg

Kl, that's the one I've got :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 425
Original post by FN510
Kl, that's the one I've got :biggrin:

Good! At least someone else has it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 426
Original post by CD223
Thank you SO much! They're brilliant! I'll upload mine when they're done in a week or so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! My PHYA5 ones should be done within a week or two (don't have access to a scanner next week though while I catsit for my grandparents).
Reply 427
Original post by CD223
Ah right! I have the main AQA book as the "textbook" then this as revision. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the textbook with the weird skateboarder on any good? I've not looked at it since I was given it. Used the thicker A2 student book instead. Teacher doesn't seem to believe in textbooks. Reckon it's worth making notes on textbook too?
Reply 428
Original post by wmavfc
Is the textbook with the weird skateboarder on any good? I've not looked at it since I was given it. Used the thicker A2 student book instead. Teacher doesn't seem to believe in textbooks. Reckon it's worth making notes on textbook too?

Yeah that's the one! It's a good book for reference but if you're making notes make sure they're very condensed as the book is quite big!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 429
Original post by CD223
Yeah that's the one! It's a good book for reference but if you're making notes make sure they're very condensed as the book is quite big!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah it looks it. Probably worth making notes on that too just for the change of scenery. haha
Reply 430
Original post by wmavfc
Haha yeah it looks it. Probably worth making notes on that too just for the change of scenery. haha

Yeah maybe! Which topic do you find easiest/hardest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 431
Original post by CD223
Yeah maybe! Which topic do you find easiest/hardest?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably some of the magnetism stuff. although should straighten out when I properly revise it. Capacitors are easiest just because it seems to be so easy to end up at the right answer...
Reply 432
Original post by wmavfc
Probably some of the magnetism stuff. although should straighten out when I properly revise it. Capacitors are easiest just because it seems to be so easy to end up at the right answer...

Id agree for both aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quick question, for an A grade overall what UMS is needed?
Also I got 242 (low A I think??) UMS last year and NEED an A this year-let's assume I get around 50 for my ISA this year- what grades do I need for unit 4 and 5 approximately?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 434
Original post by susanjan123
Also I got 242 (low A I think??) UMS last year and NEED an A this year-let's assume I get around 50 for my ISA this year- what grades do I need for unit 4 and 5 approximately?

Posted from TSR Mobile

80% UMS overall for an A, so 480 UMS in both AS and A2 total for an A. If you get 50UMS for your ISA and you got 242 last year, you need an average of 94/120 in PHYA4 and PHYA5 (total 188UMS) to just scrape an A, but without knowing the grade boundaries it's hard to tell exactly how well you'd need to do to get that :smile:
Hey, so glad I found this thread.
Im really struggling with the multiple choice section. Do you have some tips as to how to improve my score for this section or tips as to how to revise this bit?
Thanks
Reply 436
Original post by susanjan123

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Lau14
80% UMS overall for an A, so 480 UMS in both AS and A2 total for an A. If you get 50UMS for your ISA and you got 242 last year, you need an average of 94/120 in PHYA4 and PHYA5 (total 188UMS) to just scrape an A, but without knowing the grade boundaries it's hard to tell exactly how well you'd need to do to get that :smile:

The boundaries are usually around 53/75 for an A in PHYA4 and 50/75 for an A in PHYA5

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 437
Original post by l1lvink
Hey, so glad I found this thread.
Im really struggling with the multiple choice section. Do you have some tips as to how to improve my score for this section or tips as to how to revise this bit?
Thanks

Hey, welcome to the thread! Ah I think everyone finds the MC a struggle. It's thought of as easy before you do one for the first time as there's a 25% chance of getting it right but I find it harder than the written!

In terms of timing:
Make sure you stick to the time allowed. I would say do it all in around 45 minutes. That's all 25 questions, meaning you have 1 minute 48 seconds per question. <B>Stick to this</B> and then go onto the next question if you go over the limit. After you've done all you can, if you're under the 45 minute mark then go back over ones you can't do. If you hit the 45 minute mark, go onto the written section and come back at the end if you have time.
Ultimately, if you're completely stuck at the end still then just <B>guess</B>.

In terms of revision:
Revise ratios, learn formulae off by heart and just practice using as many past paper questions as possible!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 438
Has anyone got access to the June 2014 papers and mark schemes?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 439
Also, does anyone know what equations we need to know how to derive in PHYA4? It's just I know the derivation of the kinetic theory of gases equation is needed in unit 5 so I wondered if there was any needed for unit 4.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending