The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

I have to jump in here and find out what the opinions are on Adrian Petersons suspension being overturned. Great news for us vike's but he's come saying he is not happy with how the staff and team have tackled the case and is trying to force a move out. Arguably still one of the best RB's in the league, a swap is looking more like a ever present decision :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 581
Original post by Arturo09
I have to jump in here and find out what the opinions are on Adrian Petersons suspension being overturned. Great news for us vike's but he's come saying he is not happy with how the staff and team have tackled the case and is trying to force a move out. Arguably still one of the best RB's in the league, a swap is looking more like a ever present decision :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Put me in the not happy pile. He attacked his kid. ATTACKED HIS 4 YEAR OLD KID WITH A STICK! I'd have liked to have seen him out of the league forever more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wattsy
Put me in the not happy pile. He attacked his kid. ATTACKED HIS 4 YEAR OLD KID WITH A STICK! I'd have liked to have seen him out of the league forever more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, and something like that is hard to avoid, regardless of the penalty he had to face. To be honest the suspension was too short and I doubt he has fully shown enough to be allowed back into the league. The big news is that he is being allowed back for the new season, but 2015 will mostly likely see him feature for a new team, Colts are looking the front runners atm, and the fact that (some) supporters are ready to welcome him with open arms is a disgrace. I'm not a fan of the case what so ever, but putting that aside you cannot deny his talent, and what he might bring to an ever improving and relatively young colt side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 583
Original post by Arturo09
I know, and something like that is hard to avoid, regardless of the penalty he had to face. To be honest the suspension was too short and I doubt he has fully shown enough to be allowed back into the league. The big news is that he is being allowed back for the new season, but 2015 will mostly likely see him feature for a new team, Colts are looking the front runners atm, and the fact that (some) supporters are ready to welcome him with open arms is a disgrace. I'm not a fan of the case what so ever, but putting that aside you cannot deny his talent, and what he might bring to an ever improving and relatively young colt side.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As a Jags fan, the fact that he might become a Colt is absolutely horrendously awful from a football perspective too. He should be booed at EverBank forever.

Also, are you sticking around? Do you want to go on the support board as a Viking?
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm torn on AP. What he did was flat out wrong. I don't care whether it's a Southern thing, a Texan thing or whatever, but that was bad. The geo-political considerations will simply mean that the idea of a parent hitting his son with a stick so hard that he bleeds...you know...is just even more offensive than it might be in the south. The Vikings have to let him go...get what they can for him and move on. The only way he can play for the Cowboys is to accept a big pay cut...even though he wants to play for them.

But...he's a heck of a football player, and the NFL misses him on the field. The good days of All Day are probably gone though...I'm angry and sad at the same time...

I wouldn't worry too much about the Colts getting AP though. They have a similar amount of cap space to the Broncos. Take out $6m to sign the rookie class...and well they have $39m to play with, as per Over The Cap. Next season they have about $75m to work with (after taking out the $6m on the two rookie classes.) That sounds bad, but they have a lot of free agents. $20-25m will be spent on luck in the future. Coby Fleener, TY Hilton and Dwayne Allen will all look to be paid next season, and I could easily see another $25m being spent per year on those three. That leaves them $25m to work with. Too much of a splash this season (yes, they have to spend a minimum amount) will screw them up for next season. They have a lot of 'bubble' players that are solid depth, hitting free-agency and they need to tie them up. They have Anthony Castonazo who will be looking to be paid as a franchise LT for Andrew Luck as well. They have an aging roster that needs to be reloaded in the near future. They'll be out of salary cap hell for a while, but $25m is not a lot to spend on the depth additions, and sort out the pesky $2-3m contracts that quickly eat up such a cap figure.

Fear not, my Jaguars-supporting friend, about them getting AP.

However, do fear if the Colts make a move for Todd Gurley...or even, Jay Ajayi in the second. For a team that needs a franchise running back that can do it all, they need to look at "J-Train." Don't let the fumble issues fool you. I'm confident he will iron it out. Big part of why BSU won the Fiesta Bowl and the Mountain West Conference.
Reply 585
Original post by jammy4041

However, do fear if the Colts make a move for Todd Gurley...or even, Jay Ajayi in the second. For a team that needs a franchise running back that can do it all, they need to look at "J-Train." Don't let the fumble issues fool you. I'm confident he will iron it out. Big part of why BSU won the Fiesta Bowl and the Mountain West Conference.

I want the Jags to look at RB in the 2nd too. RB or RT has to be the pick there as far as I'm concerned. If you've got a 1st round DE or OLB at the top of the board then I wouldn't mind them jumping on one of those but both TE and FS are a reach at #35 assuming Landon Collins and Maxx Williams are off the board. I'd rather pick up RT in FA too given the inexperience on the O-Line, I don't care how plug in and play the rookie RT's are, the line needs a vet better than Zane Beadles.
Do you guys think the Pats if it comes down to it should let McCourty or Revis go?
Apparently, Dez Bryant, Justin Houston and Demaryius Thomas are all being non-exclusive franchise tagged.

As a Broncos fan, yikes. Well, there goes half the defense this year then...And then the other half next year if he's signed to a long term deal....

Dear Jaguars, or Raiders, or any team in need of a WR not named the Patriots or Seahawks (since they're guaranteed to have a very low round one pick)...please bite on the deal...kthanksbye
Original post by Malevolent
Do you guys think the Pats if it comes down to it should let McCourty or Revis go?

If it comes down to it, Revis. McCourty's too valuable to replace in a year where there is a weak class of FS in the draft and in free agency. Revis is on too expensive a deal. McCourty would be the best FS available...and the Raiders would probably bid something outrageous. Maybe $8m/9m a year for him? Maybe more..if there is a bidding war between the Jags and the Raiders, Redskins, Jets, Bills etc. the Patriots could probably get him for about 2-4m below his market value.

The situation with the Patriots, considering $6m is needed to sign the rookies, is that they need to free up $15-20m. Working on the assumption that Vince Wilfork, Danny Amendola and possibly Sebastian Vollmer...means that it will be very difficult. The Patriots need to cut anyway...even if they don't keep Revis...because they would only have 11m -- not enough to keep any of their free agents and sign their rookie class.

So, how can they address things? With difficulty. Look to the draft next season.

Since Revis has his contract structured with a 12m roster bonus, adding two years on to his contract (so he's locked up until 2017) and having a 4m roster bonus each year would help. A contract with an 8m salary, with nothing gaurenteed, pretty much in keeping with his original contract would be fine. Reduces his ungodly 25m cap hit to a much more manageable 13.5m hit or so.

I don't know how it can be worked, but I believed the Giants did something similar with Domonique Rodgers-Cromartie.

Mayo is probably a candidate for the "Shock-BB cut"...a 10m cap hit who play 6 games for the past couple of seasons, doesn't justify that hit. AJ Hawk got cut..so that move would surprise me even less. Gostkowski has to be resigned. Vollmer is another candidate. All three would be catapulted into the best players available for their respective positions and will be paid very handsomely.

The one positive that the Patriots do have, is that because they are perennial contenders their players will resign at a lower price, on team friendly deals. That is the Patriot Way.

Dan Connolly should walk anyway...but after Gostkowski's deal (Getting a reliable kicker is tough enough already, yet alone an elite one)...I only see Casillas coming back, being resigned to his current salary, basically. Even Akeem Ayers should still be able to come back leaving just a tick under 6m available. Everyone else that is a free agent may walk. The Patriots don't have enough cap this year.

Next year, assuming Hightower (7m -- like KJ Wright's deal), Nate Solder (8m pa), Nate Ebner (4m), Chandler Jones (5m), Blount (5m) and Gray (3m) are locked up...the Patriots should have 10m when all is said and done, to play with to work out which of that long list of 2016 free agents are locked up.

Other than that, rebuilding through the draft.

Still. The Patriots can respond. The Broncos also have a miserable cap situation, and have shot themselves in the foot by franchising Demaryius Thomas...so...yeah...
My Thoughts on the Broncos' cap situation, and what they should do, is available here...I appreciate your thoughts (done before I realized Charles Clay was an option, and the fact that the Broncos would definitely tag DT came to light)

https://jamesonstuff.wordpress.com/2015/03/02/on-potential-broncos-moves/
I would agree apart from one thing. There's no way in hell the Patriots are letting Vollmer go. If there's a tackle they let go it will be Solder haha.
I would agree apart from one thing. There's no way in hell the Patriots are letting Vollmer go. If there's a tackle they let go it will be Solder haha.

Fair enough. Worst comes to the worst, Vollmer can switch back to LT again, and the Patriots draft a RT. LTs are harder to come by...which was my logic...but yeah..it's obvious once you pointed it out...Solder's got a bigger cap hit anyway so that makes sense.
Fair enough. Worst comes to the worst, Vollmer can switch back to LT again, and the Patriots draft a RT. LTs are harder to come by...which was my logic...but yeah..it's obvious once you pointed it out...Solder's got a bigger cap hit anyway so that makes sense.

Haha Vollmer was the most consistent lineman this year and was a rock. Solder was a little flaky though got more solid as the season progressed. Just don't think hes as good as some Pats fans think he is.
Watched Bell vs Baltimore and I would take Murray any time. Bell is a slightly more dynamic and shifty runner who generally makes good decisions, has good vision and gets downfield mostly at good times. He restarts his feet very well if they have to stop. He doesn't finish runs as physically as Murray, but he does tend to fall forward and can clearly break tackles. His pass protection didn't get shown much and I think there's a reason for that. The one BoB block he had to make he threw a half hearted, early and telegraphed cut block which the defender skipped round. Murray can cut better and can also block with his facemask in the numbers if need be. For someone of his agility Bell's route running is good but not great, and he isn't as much of a factor in the passing game as Murray even though he usually releases (because I don't think they like him to block). There is little to choose between them as runners. Murray is slightly more physical and is somewhat more of a refined decision maker (although this could be made easier by his superior line), but Bell can make plays off spin moves and random **** that nobody else can make. Meanwhile Murray seems clearly better at the other parts of the game.

Obviously there is a caveat when I say I would take Murray any time, and that is money. Obviously I would rather have Bell on a rookie deal than Murray on the money deal that he will probably get. But Murray's ability to do everything a back needs to do whilst leaving your most dynamic runner on the field gave the Cowboys flexibility that the Steelers just didn't have, at least against Baltimore which is obviously a tough game for them. But yes after watching one random game I stand by my call that Murray is better.
Original post by Wattsy
As a Jags fan, the fact that he might become a Colt is absolutely horrendously awful from a football perspective too. He should be booed at EverBank forever.

Also, are you sticking around? Do you want to go on the support board as a Viking?

I know! I feel for you guys if it happens haha. And yeah I'll be on here and there I guess. We vikes need all the support we can get atm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SmashConcept
Watched Bell vs Baltimore and I would take Murray any time. Bell is a slightly more dynamic and shifty runner who generally makes good decisions, has good vision and gets downfield mostly at good times. He restarts his feet very well if they have to stop. He doesn't finish runs as physically as Murray, but he does tend to fall forward and can clearly break tackles. His pass protection didn't get shown much and I think there's a reason for that. The one BoB block he had to make he threw a half hearted, early and telegraphed cut block which the defender skipped round. Murray can cut better and can also block with his facemask in the numbers if need be. For someone of his agility Bell's route running is good but not great, and he isn't as much of a factor in the passing game as Murray even though he usually releases (because I don't think they like him to block). There is little to choose between them as runners. Murray is slightly more physical and is somewhat more of a refined decision maker (although this could be made easier by his superior line), but Bell can make plays off spin moves and random **** that nobody else can make. Meanwhile Murray seems clearly better at the other parts of the game.

Obviously there is a caveat when I say I would take Murray any time, and that is money. Obviously I would rather have Bell on a rookie deal than Murray on the money deal that he will probably get. But Murray's ability to do everything a back needs to do whilst leaving your most dynamic runner on the field gave the Cowboys flexibility that the Steelers just didn't have, at least against Baltimore which is obviously a tough game for them. But yes after watching one random game I stand by my call that Murray is better.

While I agree that Murray is better and deserves to be paid, durability has to be the main concern at the running back position.

I'm surprised that the Cowboys dished out the money for Cole Beasley over Murray though. That was surprising.
Wow LeSean McCoy traded to the bills for Kiko Alonso.
Wow LeSean McCoy traded to the bills for Kiko Alonso.

That's a pretty good deal for the Bills. They get rid of an injury prone ILB, who is pretty darn good and one of the elite running backs. CJ Spiller probably isn't coming back, and Fred Jackson isn't getting younger. Means one less need to fill in the draft.

For the Eagles, I'm not too sure that's a good deal....but the running back class is deep, and they have other priorities.
That's a pretty good deal for the Bills. They get rid of an injury prone ILB, who is pretty darn good and one of the elite running backs. CJ Spiller probably isn't coming back, and Fred Jackson isn't getting younger. Means one less need to fill in the draft.

For the Eagles, I'm not too sure that's a good deal....but the running back class is deep, and they have other priorities.

Only duck that Chip Kelly doesnt have now is Donald.
Only duck that Chip Kelly doesnt have now is Donald.

He'll be looking to complete the set...but at least Blount will never become part of the Philadelphia Ducks.

Quick Reply

Latest