The Student Room Group

TSR is a forum where males are more vocal, and abuse/sexism/arrogance is rewarded?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ikidyounot.
Also, it is quite apparent that you struggle to really consider any other standpoint aside from your own. You like to start and command discussions, rather than engage in discussions with other people.

that is because I never command discussions IRL :colondollar:
At least you're honest. Why do you want to command conversations anyway?

I am used to being controlled and silenced

I just want to be heard #cri evritim
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I think its because society is gradually becoming more progressive, those on the fringes are lashing out and are very active on the internet as its a place they can hide and be anonymous.

In real life, if you start spouting off views about how much you hate Muslims, gay people, women, other races, poor people etc then very quickly people are going to think you are a knob. Now these people like to paint themselves as bastions of free speech sometimes by saying you should have the right to say what you want and we live in a censored world etc but actually there aren't as many laws against this as they make out. A lot of the time when someone in the public eye is forced to apologise/resign because of saying something controversial on the lines above, it's not because of any threat of legal action, it's because they get public backlash from people exercising their own right to free speech.

The implication for all the people that have those racist/homophobic/misogynistic/anti-Islamic views is that they have soon learned they can't express them in real life to people around them because they will soon lose friends. Some of these people are completely obsessed by it - you can see on internet forums like this how they start multiple threads over and over again about the same issue (usually against Islam or feminism), it is something they think about all the time. Can you imagine hanging around someone that was always talking about Islam/feminism 24/7 you would just think they were the most boring/weird obsessed person ever. If they did it in real life they would soon have no friends and be seen as a loser.

So they get forced on to the internet where they can hide their true identity and talk about it and also thats where they will find the other people that think like them who can agree with them.

TSR is not unusual to be saturated with these type of people, it's what the internet is like. Look at youtube, any video that has a significant number of comments will soon turn in to an argument about race/slavery/Ku Klux Klan or Islam v the West. Also if you find any forum that caters for a niche interest (sport, a hobby etc) if they have an 'off topic' or 'politics' subforum it is like TSR, you get some obsessed posters posting continually about how much they hate Islam or how feminism is destroying society.

Now if you look at the internet as being representative of society you can get a view that disappoints you about society but it's actually the opposite situation - the people with these kind of aggressive views feel marginalised because most people today don't agree with them in the way that in the past they might have done so they resort to being more active online.

I love this post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find that quite offensive. You don't know what it means to be silenced. People like you.

and you don't know my family background, or my childhood experience, or (perhaps?) life as a known mentally ill person…your point being?

I listen to feminists quite a lot on here, some I agree with, some I don't. I actually mostly agree with you, but I sense you want to blame me as a man for something right now
You sounded as if you were trivialising.

But don't you know, that the mere fact you come on here and start telling people you need to command conversations because you aren't able to irl makes your privileged. Who else have you heard doing that? I'm not trying to invalidate your experience, I'm trying to explain why you don't have a right to do the same to others. Ever heard of solidarity? You spend all of your time railing against people you claim to understand.

I was trivialising in that I was bitter and frustrated, men aren't allow to be too openly emotional without fearing judgment, it's a break from Frame, the only way you can discuss it is to seem that you are joking or don't really care, but no I do take it seriously...

…probably heard a few other guys, none of us are particularly in the right.

I'll be honest, when I post on such threads I am procrastinating, I don't have enough info and my arguments won't fully make sense, they are straw men designed to make me ruminate and obsess so I forget I have other things to do. So I apologise for wasting your time, nonetheless I do understand that there is more work to do re: 'men's issues' int he area of feminism, I need to learn more about that. I also need to read up on the specific individual issues for women in practice, rather than theory (which is my strong point)

I'm going to leave you be to put forward your arguments here now, thanks have a good evening :smile:
Of course sir, the conversation ends when you wish it to, sir.

no need to be snarky, you can always stop posting when you like too. I think you'll have more productive debate with other people, I agree with you on a lot, and sense I will derail my own arguments to your detriment. So, I'm leaving you be!

This is what frustrates me with some feminists, until the roles have been reversed and men are licking their shoes, 'equality' has not been achieved. If this is equal, they you know I hold no power over you, and you none over me. Therefore, we are both free to leave the conversation at any time we like.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by perspiracious
His monologues will make any pussy dry. So you're correct in saying that drowning in pussy is one less hazard he needs not to worry about.

I genuinely hold the belief he will do well with girls in the end, but that he won't properly get over his hang ups.

Still be 30 years old, trying to **** girls in clubs, but even if he does well, there is an element of trying to make up for lost time/get this sense of approval
Original post by skd1996
The recent threads on this site would make it seem that way, but by stereotyping them you are just as bad as the posts they put up.

They're not recent, TSR has been this way since late 2012.
And yes thank you, stereotypes :cool:
Original post by skd1996
Really? Since then? I've only started noticing it recently, but I guess I didn't see those threads because I wasn't 'looking' for them as such?

I do feel that if girls don't want rude, stereotyped threads about them, then it shouldn't be done to the guys either.[
/QUOTE]

not going to happen :laugh: most women on this forum view men here as their inferior, like an annoying kid brother
Original post by TurboCretin
A lot of male posters have received warnings at the hands of outspoken female posters also. Tyrion_Lannister had a habit of trawling back through the histories of posters who disagreed with her (usually on feminist issues) for things to report them for.

yep this happened to me for a period of 3 months

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending