The Student Room Group

Lambing

Hi guys, I'm trying to get a lambing placement sorted between the 29th March and the 19th April and kinda struggling! :frown: So bit of a long shot but wondered if anyone knew of any places available? Anywhere is fine as long as theres accommodation!
I'm going to be applying for vet med this year, if in the chances I dont get lambing will I be at a disadvantage?
Thanks!
Have you tried the NSA list? Google 'National Sheep Association work experience' - I got both of my placements through them last year :smile:

Lambing is a placement that a lot of people end up doing, but it's by no means a requirement. People certainly get in without having done it :smile: Some universities value wex more than others, but as long as you've done another farmy placement you should be fine. It's also worth mentioning that some wex forms allow you to include planned work experience, so even if you don't end up going this year, you can still put it down when you apply if you book a placement in advance.

Hope that helped
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Have you tried the NSA list? Google 'National Sheep Association work experience' - I got both of my placements through them last year :smile:

Lambing is a placement that a lot of people end up doing, but it's by no means a requirement. People certainly get in without having done it :smile: Some universities value wex more than others, but as long as you've done another farmy placement you should be fine. It's also worth mentioning that some wex forms allow you to include planned work experience, so even if you don't end up going this year, you can still put it down when you apply if you book a placement in advance.

Hope that helped

I have :smile: I only found out about it a couple weeks back but been keeping an eye on it! I think my time constraints are making it harder than it should be
Thanks for the help! I'll no doubt be looking for lambing next year as well since I have a year out to look forward to :tongue:
Original post by therewillberain
I have :smile: I only found out about it a couple weeks back but been keeping an eye on it! I think my time constraints are making it harder than it should be
Thanks for the help! I'll no doubt be looking for lambing next year as well since I have a year out to look forward to :tongue:

Don't panic if you don't get it - the only farm work I had was a week on a dairy farm and I've had 3 interviews, and so far have 2 offers.
Not specifically a placement, but the Royal Veterinary College are running lambing days on the 7th and 13th of April. It's probably not the kind of thing you were hoping for, but it will give you lambing experience if you can't find anywhere else, and as you could us the other time to do another placement?
Original post by alwaysalex
Don't panic if you don't get it - the only farm work I had was a week on a dairy farm and I've had 3 interviews, and so far have 2 offers.

The only farm experience I had last year was a week on a dairy too, but I got all rejections and it was my work experience that let me down, so trying to cover all bases this time round!

Original post by clo-jo11
Not specifically a placement, but the Royal Veterinary College are running lambing days on the 7th and 13th of April. It's probably not the kind of thing you were hoping for, but it will give you lambing experience if you can't find anywhere else, and as you could us the other time to do another placement?

that sounds interesting, have you got a link for it at all? :smile:
Original post by therewillberain
that sounds interesting, have you got a link for it at all? :smile:

From what I can remember, there was no mention of it on the website, I only found out about it through correspondence with a woman who was organising Dairy Day when I enquired about that. That email should be on the RVC website, so you could try that? Sorry I can't be much more specific :/
We can offer you lambing experience if you have not yet got some. We are in Staffordshire.
Original post by flowerpower13
We can offer you lambing experience if you have not yet got some. We are in Staffordshire.

Hi thanks so much for the offer, but I've managed to sort something out this week :smile:
Original post by flowerpower13

Would it be possible for me to get experience any time between 29th March and 12th April?
Yeah you can our next batch of 200 is not due til 6th april so you might only get 6 days of lambing depending how well they start but you our welcome to come the week before to help set up and deal with the tail enders of the march batch.

Quick Reply