The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanC55
Amy,

i feel like you are an absolute legend!

Wow - thanks (I think??).

I just think its useful to get some idea about the course - although nothing really prepares you for what its truly like its good to have some info!
Original post by cforcoldplay
Hello again,

Does anyone know roughly how many weeks the course at Sheffield is? Just trying work out how much I'll be getting from the NHS bursary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

don't know for Sheffield but for MMU I used 34 weeks in the calculator - imagine they are all similar time frames so it should give you an idea
Original post by djavor
Anyone on the uni of manc course know if there's many exams?

A current Manchester student posted a few days ago that they had first set of exams in January! Manchester is after all known to be very focused on the academic side (a local SLT told me that Manchester students are very up on their theory).
Is anyone else still waiting to hear back from Newcastle after interview?
Original post by Higlet
From my application! Which I sent in October :frown:
I recon it's a rejection as on the website the last interview date is the 11th March.
If they want to reject me I just wish they'd hurry up about it so I can make my firm choice - Birmingham City have accommodation applications up already and I'm worried I'm gonna miss out! But then equally, I do really want Leeds so if they're going to give me an interview I would like to know as soon as possible too!
Ugh I'm a terrible waiter ha! I have managed nearly 5 months of waiting before emailing them though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If it was a rejection you'd think they would have sent it already! Hopefully you get a reply from them as soon as possible! Fingers crossed :smile:
Original post by AmyPilot
Hi - I see Leeds started giving offers and rejections yesterday - presume you have not heard yet? How you holding up with the whole miserable process?

Haha of course I haven't heard, im always the last one to receive a decision! Lol. I'm ok with it, I just want my decisions so I can move on. At the moment I'm living in limbo. But it's all good, I'm sure I'll hear from the others soon enough :smile:
Original post by nesca89
If it was a rejection you'd think they would have sent it already! Hopefully you get a reply from them as soon as possible! Fingers crossed :smile:

I would've thought so!
They emailed back saying they needed my UCAS ID number so I sent it to them but because I was on the bus with bad signal it didn't send until 5:05 so it'll probably be tomorrow now when I find out! I just want the peace of mind that they haven't forgotten about me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Higlet
I would've thought so!
They emailed back saying they needed my UCAS ID number so I sent it to them but because I was on the bus with bad signal it didn't send until 5:05 so it'll probably be tomorrow now when I find out! I just want the peace of mind that they haven't forgotten about me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh how frustrating for you! Hopefully you'll get your positive reply tomorrow morning :smile:
Original post by Higlet
I would've thought so!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you get anything other than you have to wait until the end of March please let me know!
If you get anything other than you have to wait until the end of March please let me know!

I will do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by djavor
Anyone on the uni of manc course know if there's many exams?

I'm at UoM! If you're at college/sixth form now then you'll find the number of exams isn't a big jump. In January we had 4 exams in total and in May I think we only have 2!
Original post by h_lumb1
Yes, I really want to go into halls but I don't know which ones are the best to go into for getting to the buildings for speech therapy stuff

At UoM we are usually in a wide spread of buildings depending on what rooms are free! We are in a building called Ellen Wilkinson a lot of the time and that's quite centralised and on oxford road, the majority of the buildings I've been in our all on oxford road so are easily walking distance for all city campus accom and about 20 min bus ride from fallowfield. Just depends on what you personally want. City campus has a lot of internationals, more quiet usually and fallowfield is known for parties etc!
Original post by AmyPilot
don't know for Sheffield but for MMU I used 34 weeks in the calculator - imagine they are all similar time frames so it should give you an idea

I see i'll estimate somewhere around that - thank you very much! :smile:
See I'm 21 (and prollies deluded) but I still want to have a mental freshers but different horses to different courses! Exactly, Marjon will obviously do stuff, I don't know about the dysphasia thing but if that helps sway you then y'know where you need to go!

I'd say check out accommodation and prices as well!

My my offer came through the post from DMU today, it was so cool having it on paper :.)

Ooh yay you're 21 too! Haha no don't get me wrong (I've made myself sound soo much more sophisticated than I am) I will definitely be joining in with mental freshers, just maybe want to refrain from getting drunk multiple times a week like some uni friends I know!

AHHH exciting! 6 months and our lives are going to be so different!
Original post by izzydizzyyy
Ooh yay you're 21 too! Haha no don't get me wrong (I've made myself sound soo much more sophisticated than I am) I will definitely be joining in with mental freshers, just maybe want to refrain from getting drunk multiple times a week like some uni friends I know!

AHHH exciting! 6 months and our lives are going to be so different!

Ah! Cool to know that I'm not the only one hahaha!

Yeah no I completely get that! I feel like I'm going to be eternally 18 though, I'm going to Magaluf, Kavos and Mexico this summer so I'm going to be so hyped for freshers haha! I'm self conscious about being a bit older though! But I get you, I think I want to embrace freshers but beyond that kinda take it seriously! I've wanted this for like 5 years after all!

i know! It's just mental to think it's actually happenening and I'm going to be a speech therapist! I'm so thankful for my gap year cause it's made me appreciate everything!

why are you applying later?
Just looked at DMU's societies and there's a skydiving society! That alone has legit made my day!
Ah! Cool to know that I'm not the only one hahaha!

Yeah no I completely get that! I feel like I'm going to be eternally 18 though, I'm going to Magaluf, Kavos and Mexico this summer so I'm going to be so hyped for freshers haha! I'm self conscious about being a bit older though! But I get you, I think I want to embrace freshers but beyond that kinda take it seriously! I've wanted this for like 5 years after all!

i know! It's just mental to think it's actually happenening and I'm going to be a speech therapist! I'm so thankful for my gap year cause it's made me appreciate everything!

why are you applying later?

Ah wow I am SO jealous that you are going to Mexico!!! I've done Magaluf...haha - so far I'm going to Athens in the summer but hoping to maybe go to Toronto and Barcelona as well! Haha I get you about feeling eternally 18...I look very young for my age anyway and people often ask if I'm like 16... I had a friend that went to marjon for SLT and she said out of 40 in her year only 8 were 18 straight from school!

Well I first did a BTEC in musical theatre when I left school - did a year at a drama school after that - realised it wasn't for me. Had a gap year and my mum who is a nurse is the one who mentioned about being a speech therapist. (I'd never heard of it) and then the more I researched the more I realised it sounded so interesting and just the kind of job I desired! #cheese
Just remembered that Marjon said you may have to relocate for placements - that kinda worries me! Also, anyone hoping to take their car to uni? DMU is like £650 for a years parking permit ahhhh
Just put Cardiff Met down as my firm woohoo :smile:
Original post by soufflekitty
Just put Cardiff Met down as my firm woohoo :smile:

Exciting times! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest