The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BenLynch9
Sheffield also mentioned?

Sheffield and Glasgow are both great universities. They are not that bad to be in the bottom 5.
Original post by Raymat
Sheffield and Glasgow are both great universities. They are not that bad to be in the bottom 5.

What makes Sheffield/Glasgow better than say Cardiff?

Sheffield is ranked higher internationally and Glasgow has a long history as a university which I believe should be taken into consideration. It's an ancient university.
Reply 23
Original post by Raymat
Sheffield is ranked higher internationally and Glasgow has a long history as a university which I believe should be taken into consideration. It's an ancient university.

Imagining that said 'lowest 5' universities were removed from the Russell group. which (if any) universities deserve to take their place?

Cardiff is ranked 123rd in the world
Sheffield is ranked 67th
Glasgow is ranked 55th (QS world rankings)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jpm_123
Imagining that said 'lowest 5' universities were removed from the Russell group. which (if any) universities deserve to take their place?

I would say any of Bath, St Andrews, Aberdeen, Loughborough, Leicester, Lancaster or East Anglia and maybe even Keele but they are not research power houses so wouldn't fit the group.
Original post by Raymat
I would say any of Bath, St Andrews, Aberdeen, Loughborough, Leicester, Lancaster or East Anglia and maybe even Keele but they are not research power houses so wouldn't fit the group.

possibly leicester. all my mates think leicester is a RG lol.
Original post by DunGoofed
possibly leicester. all my mates think leicester is a RG lol.

That's exactly what I though in the past but then I was shocked when I found out it wasn't.
Original post by Raymat
That's exactly what I though in the past but then I was shocked when I found it wasn't.

brah, you have no idea. my friend genuinly thought they were. i was like haha no they're not, and he was certain they were, so we had a bet, and he lost a pound that day. literally everyone i know thinks they're russell group. even my sister who goes there thought they were
To be honest, it doesn't really matter. I would rather go to the worst of the best university's than the best of the worst university's. I think Queen Mary has received quite a lot of unfair hate on here. I went for an Interview today and it far surpassed the low expectations I had (based on TSR feed back). Good employment rates, excellent student satisfaction and the 11th highest average graduate salary- I don't see peoples problem with it!!
Liverpool, QUB and Queen Mary?
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm surprised that so many people have said Liverpool, I thought it was as good as any other red brick uni. I've always thought Nottingham was overrated, at least half of my year group applied there - no idea why. :dong:
Original post by Zachary T-H
To be honest, it doesn't really matter. I would rather go to the worst of the best university's than the best of the worst university's. I think Queen Mary has received quite a lot of unfair hate on here. I went for an Interview today and it far surpassed the low expectations I had (based on TSR feed back). Good employment rates, excellent student satisfaction and the 11th highest average graduate salary- I don't see peoples problem with it!!

It's the location of east end and ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Snufkin
I'm surprised that so many people have said Liverpool, I thought it was as good as any other red brick uni. I've always thought Nottingham was overrated, at least half of my year group applied there - no idea why. :dong:

Exactly! !!! People don't understand how such a great uni liverpool is!!! If you go to an open day you'll understand!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
Eh, I agree Liverpool isn't one of the best but it honestly doesn't deserve the amount of criticism it sometimes receives. I couldn't be happier there and do not regret my choice at all :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Liverpool was my last choice and they gave me the highest offer lol
Original post by coconuthead--

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh come on, the east isn't that bad anymore, I'm sure I saw a foxtons sighn in mile end which would be a sighn of gentrification! What a lot of people don't realise is thst students who go to ucl etc wont be able to afford the rent in areas around there uni, atleast if you go to queen mary you can use their faccilities when you want but also live near the university. What else is wrong with it?!?
Definitely not Glasgow, its a solid RG uni.
Original post by Zachary T-H
Oh come on, the east isn't that bad anymore, I'm sure I saw a foxtons sighn in mile end which would be a sighn of gentrification! What a lot of people don't realise is thst students who go to ucl etc wont be able to afford the rent in areas around there uni, atleast if you go to queen mary you can use their faccilities when you want but also live near the university. What else is wrong with it?!?

it does not feel like Britain. I was the only white person on the open day ..I hate to say this but... I'd rather go somewhere else but I respect it's a good university.
Original post by coconuthead--

Posted from TSR Mobile

And what? Finish your sentence then!
Reply 39
Least prestigious Russell Group universities? Oh typical TSR...

They're all great universities for research otherwise they wouldn't be apart of the Russel Group.