The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

don't feel very well at all :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
disinterested in so much right now, really dont know what to do.

anyone else find that when reasonably good things come, they come in twos? As i just got my dyslexia assessment through for 2 weeks time, so hoping that will shed some light on things and will be able to get help for when i start uni this year.
Original post by Pathway
Almost up to date on notes which is basically a miracle (don't actually know how I've managed to do this considering I was weeks behind lol). :eek: Considering how ****ty I've been feeling the last few days I'm quite pleased with myself? Is that bad? :redface:

Is a big achievement! To do anything, let alone catch up- should be pleased with yourself :yep::hugs:

Original post by ScaryScience
bleh. thoughts are really rubbish right now. worried I might be being too comfortable being depressed and using it as an excuse. also panicked because my first exam is the 8th May and I just can't believe how soon it is and how unprepared I am. I am a massive failure. I just hate it. why do I struggle so much.

:jumphug: You are not a failure! The fact that you manage to do anything when you're struggling so much makes you not a failure, and you wouldn't be even if you didn't :nah: (I have a feeling that might make no sense, feel free to ignore if it doesn't :colondollar:).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not a goood evening. Was a little on edge all afternoon which didn't really help with getting work done. Spoke to a few people online which helped a bit but think I annoyed a couple of them with rambling. Completed forgot about some work I was supposed to hand in today then felt odd during supervision. Managed to not have a panic attack when I got back to my room but felt really awful. Felt like I couldn't breath which was fun as always. Didn't help that I got up late so took my meds late so felt a little ill anyway, brain turned that into something to add to the worries pile. Fairly exhausted now so heading to bed early in hopes that tomorrow is better.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pathway
Oh, I just saw this! Congratulations on the job offer and PSROM Grrrrrrrr. Well done though. :h:

Cheers hun! Only got the phonecall a few hours ago!! And whats scarier was i only had the interview last night!

Im hoping it will do wonders for my mental health! Only 6 hours a week but its money and ill be putting my degree to use!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nathanielle
AWESOME!!! I am really happy for you. What for a kind of job is it? (I mean, what you will do.)

Thankyou!
Its a youth worker job, driving round in a big van to rural villages and providing youth work :smile: its what i did my degree in, so even though its only 6 hours a week im very happy!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
Thankyou!
Its a youth worker job, driving round in a big van to rural villages and providing youth work :smile: its what i did my degree in, so even though its only 6 hours a week im very happy!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, sounds good. It is really exciting to do what you have studied. And experience is all what counts in the long run, so well done!
Yeah, sounds good. It is really exciting to do what you have studied. And experience is all what counts in the long run, so well done!

Yeah, and its my first job iv applied for since graduating!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
why is going to the shops such a struggle?

I went out the shops today and I just couldn't seem to relax at all. It was a little better than a few times I've been out on my own but I don't know I just get so panicked from it. Well not panicked but I don't feel relaxed. I have a desire to go outside and do things but when I do (on my own) I never feel at ease. Although at uni I'm fine..

Does anyone go through this? I look at the thread and see so many amazing things people are doing like leading normal lives on their own.. and I feel like I fail in comparison.

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but how do you guys cope? From what Im reading on this thread your lives seem pretty normal..
Original post by PandaWho
Yeah, and its my first job iv applied for since graduating!!

You are amazing!
You are amazing!

Im just bloody lucky with jobs i think! Only ever not got 1 job in my life and even then i got another job out of that anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous

I went out the shops today and I just couldn't seem to relax at all. It was a little better than a few times I've been out on my own but I don't know I just get so panicked from it. Well not panicked but I don't feel relaxed. I have a desire to go outside and do things but when I do (on my own) I never feel at ease. Although at uni I'm fine..

Does anyone go through this? I look at the thread and see so many amazing things people are doing like leading normal lives on their own.. and I feel like I fail in comparison.

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but how do you guys cope? From what Im reading on this thread your lives seem pretty normal..

Sorry you have been having problems going out. Can you pinpoint why uni situations are fine but other situations aren't? :smile:

I assure you we all have our ups and downs, and there are many people suffering with a lot of downs at any given point. We all are different and all struggle in different ways :sadnod: But the great thing about us being a support society is that we can share in each others' triumphs as well as comforting each other through our woes :h: I personally think it's very important to post happy stories as well as calls/cries for help, because that way we can inspire each other :h:

I don't think anyone here has a normal life per se, or has it particularly easy. It's just some of us talk about it in different ways than others. Like I try to keep most of my posts upbeat or with some kinda hope for the future or positive spin on it :yes: In any case, in terms of my own personal posting history, people on here can attest to you that I've not always had it as "easy" or "normal" as I have it right now. But I do post about things like attending uni, my graduation ceremonies from former unis, having a few weeks of being voice-free or whatever because I think it's important that people see there CAN be some progression :smile:

Hope you don't think I'm having a go at you for the above - I'm not at all! Just trying to explain it (probably quite badly coz I'm sleep-deprived...) :colondollar:
Any advice for me?

I was thinking that too. I'm sure it's not all as it seems, we only see a snippet of people's lives on here I think.

The only reason I left my house today was because I needed to walk my dog. If I didn't have a dog I pretty much would not be dealing with life at all right now.

The only reason I get out of bed is because he needs feeding. The only reason I stay up is because he needs to play. The only reason I get washed, dressed and go out is because he needs to walk.

Honestly, I would be so much worse otherwise. I think I would sleep all day.

Anyway, in response to what you said, I totally understand. I find it really hard going to shops. I used to just use self service but I find there is more trouble with those and I can't deal with it when I have to stand and wait for the shop worker to come over to help and everyone in the queue is looking. I actually just left the items and walked out of the shop last time because I couldn't cope.

.....................................................................................................................

Does anyone here who has depression and/or anxiety NOT take medication and how do you cope with that? Do you manage okay?

I have depression and anxiety and took myself off meds about 2 years ago and I've been yo-yoing between

Spoiler

ever since. I tried 3 different medications and none of them made a dent at all, they just made me feel slowed down and generally sluggish. I don't know whether to A) Carry on the way I am (no meds, no therapy just moderate exercise and reading self help books.....this is obviously really helping....not) b) Try new meds (really would rather not) c) Try to find a support group or somewhere to talk/interact with people who have similar issues.

I don't know. Mostly I just want to lay in bed and pull the duvet over my head

Spoiler

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm having a quarter life crisis or a nervous breakdown and mixed with depression/anxiety it's such a strong cocktail. I don't really know how to handle life right now.

I have work tomorrow and half of me wants to go in to prove to myself I can function like a 'normal' adult and half of me wants to call in sick and take my dog to the park for a few hours to watch the birds and zen out.

I can relate to what you're saying about being panicked just going to the shops. I met my wife for lunch today and the bus ride there and back, as well as being there was awful - I felt so sick and scared the whole time. All I could manage was one small piece of pizza despite being pretty hungry. I think one thing that really gets to me is that people don't seem to understand how hard it can be to do seemingly simple things such as going to the shops or out for food, I know my wife definitely doesn't get it.

Are you on medication or getting therapy for your anxiety?
You guys are all amazing! :hugs:
Original post by Cinnie
So i've been in hospital again for almost a week and have been sectioned (section 2), so i'm not even allowed to leave the ward at all. It's horrible and I thought i'd be safe here but there are so many ways to hurt myself here and the urges and hard to resist. I have had some pretty close calls before the nurses have come into my room for checks. I guess nowhere is safe. I associated my last admission with being manic and now that i'm depressed it's a much worse experience. Still, at least now my mum doesn't need to feel responsible for me.

Hope you guys are doing ok

How are you doing bub?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This thread moves so fast, hard to keep up. Well hi again - feeling rather nervous, I did a self-referral and I have some kind of assessment next week. Not sure what to expect.
Original post by drbluebox
Any advice for me?

I did read your post earlier but have no advice, since I'm also having sleeping issues and have been for a while. Sorry :frown:

Original post by Snufkin
This thread moves so fast, hard to keep up. Well hi again - feeling rather nervous, I did a self-referral and I have some kind of assessment next week. Not sure what to expect.

:wavey: Don't worry, assessments are usually less painful than we'd imagine them to be! It'll be more of a long chat about what you've been experiencing and how that's been impacting on your life, etc. and then towards the end, maybe planning how to move forward together from the assessment, if appropriate. Good luck :biggrin:
bleh head hurts and feel like I'm gonna be sick :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest