The Student Room Group

Are you voting for Ukip?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jf1994
Four pages of discussion and I'm yet to see any credible arguments against UKIP's policies. Apart from the obvious petulent namecalling, 'racist', 'uneducated' etc etc...TSR is full of prospective Tory toffs? Who knew...

Do the Greens exist for you or not?
Do this and get it all over with.

https://uk.isidewith.com/political-quiz
Reply 82
Original post by HawkEyeArcher
Do the Greens exist for you or not?

Exist?
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
True to a point, but it will be somewhat harder to get in. Visa application processes take a long time, and sponsorship can be a long, expensive, and less desirable process for companies. Unless there is a skills shortage, companies can sometimes be more willing to take onboard local candidates who meet the job requirements.

There obviously would be a delay compared to open borders, but one would assume that even with open borders a native would be preferred because of their existing linguistic and other ties to the country. On balance, I'd rather have a slight delay in emigrating (which, even as a patriot, I am considering for the future) than being a member of the EU, and all of the open borders, botched laws, and huge fees that the EU incurs.

*in addition, the EU is economically declining, and the industrialising world is developing into high-tech tertiary and quaternary sectors. In 15 years. the people who would be emigrating to France or Germany will be emigrating to India, and are already flocking to the far East, Gulf states, and USA. This makes it less of a "loss".
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nickbonista
If you're good enough, they'll take you.

This.
Tory till I die.
I won't be voting for UKIP.
Nah m9
Original post by Nickbonista
If that's aimed at me, I'm a ukip supporter, I was making the case that we have the least racist and most sensible immigration policy.

I know, I was agreeing with you :tongue:
I have a question regarding UKIP's immigration policies. They are going to freeze immigration for 5 years, but will this affect people born in the UK, with a patent born in the UK (who is English)? I moved away from England a few years ago to an EU country and I want to move back for uni and the live there.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help. I can't find anything on the internet directly answering my question. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
The fact that no one who's voting ukip seems to have a clue about any other policies than leaving the EU and controlling borders is shocking. Do you know their policies on education? The environment? Foreign policy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Undisclosed 15
I have a question regarding UKIP's immigration policies. They are going to freeze immigration for 5 years, but will this affect people born in the UK, with a patent born in the UK (who is English)? I moved away from England a few years ago to an EU country and I want to move back for uni and the live there.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help. I can't find anything on the internet directly answering my question. Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely, a right of residence now is a right of residence permanently. This would apply to EU citizens here now, and of course UK subjects.
Original post by em211997
The fact that no one who's voting ukip seems to have a clue about any other policies than leaving the EU and controlling borders is shocking. Do you know their policies on education? The environment? Foreign policy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just because you're not listening to something doesn't mean there's nothing to hear. I was persuaded to join by their education policies of reintroducing grammar schools and having no tuition fees for STEM and medicine subjects. On the environment, we'd prefer not to subsidise "green" energy at a cost to the taxpayer, but use real renewables such as nuclear, HE, and tidal power. Foreign policy-wise, we don't want to see Britain involved in yet more conflicts outside of our national interest. On specific issues though, foreign policy is always left to the government, so we can only have a broad viewpoint rather than a policy.

http://www.ukip.org/policies_for_people
Hell no.
Original post by Gott
Voting for UKIP risks Miliband! Do you really want to take that risk? Really?!

Last 3 by-elections, 2 vote ukip get ukip, the other vote tory get miliband.
Reply 95
Original post by spurs9393
You call us stereotypical and then brand the majority of UKIP-voters as "not particularly smart." Stereotypical to say the least. And I won't have you - somebody I've never met - say that I'm not above average intelligence, when I know that I am.

It is true that not every immigrant is from a war-torn country, but that's not the problem. The problem is that Britain has become a haven for immigrants whom don't want to work. I know that not all immigrants claim benefits, but a significant number do. And plus, what all immigrants do is take up resources, jobs, and, when they have kids - under the NHS - school places. UKIP aren't saying put an end to immigration. They're not even saying deport immigrants who didn't arrive illegally. They just simply want a sensible control of method of keeping track of who comes into the country - what on earth is racist about that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its just shaming tactics, they want Britain to commit cultural and economical suicide by filling the country full of people who aren't western and have zero to offer to the country. If we don't like it we're Nazi
Original post by Gott
So you deny that the UKIP electorate comes from the Tory party?

Recently we've taken votes from across the board, that's why in Heywood and Middleton the Tory vote added to ukip would've won.
Original post by em211997

Posted from TSR Mobile

For education, UKIP wants to reintroduce grammar schools or something of the sort to give talented children from all backgrounds, as special schools usually have high school fees that working class people cannot afford. UKIP also wants to make certain university subjects like science, medicine, and technology, engineering, and maths free. Ukip also wants to introduce an option for students to take an apprenticeship instead of GCSEs and A-Levels. Students from the EU will pay the same school fees as other international students.

UKIP supports a diverse energy market including coal, nuclear, shale gas, geo-thermal, tidal, solar, conventional gas and oil. UKIP also wants to repeal the Climate Change Act 2008 which costs the economy £18bn a year. In order to reduce fuel bills, UKIP will abolish green taxes and charges. UKIP supports the development of shale gas with proper safeguards for the local environment too. UKIP wants the UK to leave the Common Agricultural Policy and the Common Fisheries Policy. UKIP also wants food to be labelled to include the country of origin, method of production, method of slaughter, hormones and any genetic additives. UKIP wants to ban the export of live animals for slaughter.

UKIP will target foreign aid at healthcare initiatives, inoculations against preventable diseases and clean water programmes.

To read more about UKIP's policies, go to http://www.ukip.org/policies_for_people.
Original post by Gott
So you deny that the UKIP electorate comes from the Tory party?

I know you aren't asking me, but I do not deny that some of the UKIP electorate come from former Conservative voters. However, UKIP are also taking votes from former Labour, and Lib Dem voters, as well as people who have never voted before or have never voted in a long time.

I supported the Liberal Democrats in the 2010 election (even though I was a eurosceptic), but now I see how many promises the disaster known as Nick Clegg broke, and that they are another establishment party.
Original post by Gott
I doubt if a significant number of people defect from the labour part to UKIP. Perhaps people on the fence

UKIP has the highest proportion of their vote from the working class, and are 2nd with ethnic minorities. They've got to be coming from somewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending