Original post by Odd socks
bleh head hurts and feel like I'm gonna be sick :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:jumphug:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:jumphug:

:hugs: I just want to be looked after but that's not going to happen :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
My mood keeps swinging between extremes and I can't cope. Don't know what to do. :frown:
Hi guys,

I am considering writing a letter to my GP asking if he can continue to see me regularly alongside the CBT I will be having, maybe until the end of the year as there are issues I need to work through and the CBT obviously isn't a fast cure. But worried GP will think its a weird request ? I know people in here have said just ask, but the anxiety makes me fearful of a bad response

Do people think I have a valid reason to want the support there ?

Spoke to Mental Health place today and because of assessment and then waiting lists, it will be at least 2 and a half months before I even begin the CBT (whoch is for social anxiety). Then being someone who has severe social anxiety and depression on top, it will take me at least a month or so to feel comfortable enough with the therapist. Could be 6 months before I see an improvement in the social anxiety, so including the waiting time the whole CBT thing could take 8 months in total

Have a house move to deal with, which at the moment is only at the getting house done up ready stage, but had me that bad my dad spoke to my GP about how worried he.was about me. Anger really came out, and then the depression sat in the bathroom numerous occasions in tears threatening to OD. Will be even worse once the for sale board goes up and people start coming to view, how am I meant to let people view my room when I am struggling to get out of bed at the moment. All I want to do is lie in the dark. So all this house lark could take up to August some time, and i dont know how will cope that long

Then I'm dealing with debts. Could paper my walls with debt letters at the moment and they have had me feeling suicidal at times not knowing who to turn to for help or how long it will take to pay off. Set a repayment plan up with one the other week and still hounding me with calls, thinking check your records !

Trying to deal with my gambling through online counselling that started due to feelings of 'inadequacy'. I'm socially anxious, not many friends, born with no particular skills or talents. Felt like one big win would sort all my problems out, and obviously it doesn't work like that. But I was at the point a few weeks ago when the house stuff started where I was literally driving round buying scratchcards. The gambling seems to come on with periods of stress

With all this, and the time CBT can take to work, is it a weird reuqest to ask my GP to see me regular at least until maybe end of the year ?

GP doesn't know I actually delayed sending my CBT form off because of the fear of being left to a complete stranger with mo support from my him, a familiar face. Apprehemsive about it as it is.

He is seeing mw every 2-3 weeks at the moment, but afraid once the CBT starts he will stop doing that, but I would prefer to be seeing someone familiar for support alongside it

Last year, my surgery didn't watch things and ended up with me actually stopping antidepressant and by December last year was that suicidal I finally had to go back and admit to GP I had stopped the.tablets
Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan
Hi guys,

I am considering writing a letter to my GP asking if he can continue to see me regularly alongside the CBT I will be having, maybe until the end of the year as there are issues I need to work through and the CBT obviously isn't a fast cure. But worried GP will think its a weird request ? I know people in here have said just ask, but the anxiety makes me fearful of a bad response

Do people think I have a valid reason to want the support there ?

Spoke to Mental Health place today and because of assessment and then waiting lists, it will be at least 2 and a half months before I even begin the CBT (whoch is for social anxiety). Then being someone who has severe social anxiety and depression on top, it will take me at least a month or so to feel comfortable enough with the therapist. Could be 6 months before I see an improvement in the social anxiety, so including the waiting time the whole CBT thing could take 8 months in total

Have a house move to deal with, which at the moment is only at the getting house done up ready stage, but had me that bad my dad spoke to my GP about how worried he.was about me. Anger really came out, and then the depression sat in the bathroom numerous occasions in tears threatening to OD. Will be even worse once the for sale board goes up and people start coming to view, how am I meant to let people view my room when I am struggling to get out of bed at the moment. All I want to do is lie in the dark. So all this house lark could take up to August some time, and i dont know how will cope that long

Then I'm dealing with debts. Could paper my walls with debt letters at the moment and they have had me feeling suicidal at times not knowing who to turn to for help or how long it will take to pay off. Set a repayment plan up with one the other week and still hounding me with calls, thinking check your records !

Trying to deal with my gambling through online counselling that started due to feelings of 'inadequacy'. I'm socially anxious, not many friends, born with no particular skills or talents. Felt like one big win would sort all my problems out, and obviously it doesn't work like that. But I was at the point a few weeks ago when the house stuff started where I was literally driving round buying scratchcards. The gambling seems to come on with periods of stress

With all this, and the time CBT can take to work, is it a weird reuqest to ask my GP to see me regular at least until maybe end of the year ?

GP doesn't know I actually delayed sending my CBT form off because of the fear of being left to a complete stranger with mo support from my him, a familiar face. Apprehemsive about it as it is.

He is seeing mw every 2-3 weeks at the moment, but afraid once the CBT starts he will stop doing that, but I would prefer to be seeing someone familiar for support alongside it

Last year, my surgery didn't watch things and ended up with me actually stopping antidepressant and by December last year was that suicidal I finally had to go back and admit to GP I had stopped the.tablets

Gonna be a quick reply as im sleepy, but have you considered going to CAB and looking into the possibilities of a debt relief order?

Also IIRC you were back on meds?
If thats right your dr will want to see you anyway to keep an eye on you

If not, generally i think they will still want to see you to see if you need more help/support or possible meds.

They are fully aware that things dont dissapear after your first threpy session and your therepist may have no contact with your GP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:wavey: Don't worry, assessments are usually less painful than we'd imagine them to be! It'll be more of a long chat about what you've been experiencing and how that's been impacting on your life, etc. and then towards the end, maybe planning how to move forward together from the assessment, if appropriate. Good luck :biggrin:

Thanks! :biggrin: I did have a phone assessment a few months back, was referred for CBT but then told it wasn't appropriate because it was too short term (whatever that means?). I hope this assessment comes up with something useful, bit fed up of waiting.
Original post by Snufkin
Thanks! :biggrin: I did have a phone assessment a few months back, was referred for CBT but then told it wasn't appropriate because it was too short term (whatever that means?). I hope this assessment comes up with something useful, bit fed up of waiting.

Yeah, CBT usually is done in batches of six sessions I think and whilst some places are happy to renew once or twice, I guess it depends on the service provider and what they think they can feasibly do :s-smilie: Waiting times on the NHS are ridiculous, so I hope whatever the outcome, they put something in place for you soon :hugs:
I am thinking, could I of had a actual breakdown years ago and just never recovered? I havent enjoyed life since the death 11 years ago but at that point I could still enjoy things but the enjoyment dipped more and more month by month or year by year to the point where I get zero enjoyment and almost miserable all the time, that doesnt mean I dont smile or I cant do something like watch a movie but I just have a blank look in my eyes and havent felt adrenaline in like 10 years or need to get out of bed, the physical and part emotional feelings I get now remind me of when I had a bad day before the death and I think I have just accepted this as my everyday feeling and if I have a blip of feeling a little better than normal my brain goes haywire just like the reason I cant sleep is because when I am sleepy it switches off the stress and bad feelings in my brain.
Reply 2428
Original post by Anonymous
I look at the thread and see so many amazing things people are doing like leading normal lives on their own.. and I feel like I fail in comparison.

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but how do you guys cope? From what Im reading on this thread your lives seem pretty normal..

Long answer here cos a few people irl who i have known on and off for a long time have asked me that when they find out about my illness so it is on my mind...

Remember that mental illnesses come in a broad spectrum of types.

In particular, some people have a consistent state but a lot of people have ups and downs or their illness only massively affects their lives (at least on appearances) episodically.

That has been the case for me. In between episodes of illness, I have generally been highly productive and 'normal'. I am living a 'normal' life at the moment, living independently, about to start a job but only this time last year, I was in and out of hospital, on the streets and unable to hold down a job or socialize normally.

It isn't always plain to see in people. As I say, I have had good jobs, relationships etc. and over the years people would have thought I was 'normal' but when I was ill, I was really ill and it would appear incongruous to those who saw me when well. They often didnt though because I would just go off the radar.

I guess now, after ten years of it, even though I am relatively well and 'normal' at the moment, the signs are probably more obvious in terms of premature aging, slight bloatedness from medication and general beat up look and scarring but people may just assume I am someone ten years older with a gappy history.

People might also seem normal because they focus on the highlights or they hide illness because of the stigma or embarrassment. for example, when I talk about my uni experience or how I did, I focus on the good times and my overall grade. I dont mention the manic episodes with resultant arrests, sectioning, being thrown out of my house and loosing most of my friends and subsequently having different groups of friends based on which episodes I was in between. I tell people my overall grade which I am proud of because I don't want to tell them about the courses I got zero for because I spent /months/ lying in bed in a freezing cold and damp bedsit where I would sob my heart out, shout at the walls and go days at a stretch without leaving and didnt do coursework/take the exam.

So, appearances can be deceptive and that goes for forums too.

Also, you can only work with your current capability so you shouldn't beat yourself or compare yourself. I say that but fully empathise with you; I always feel the same way when I am ill and can't manage and constantly struggle to accept my limitations. That said, overworking myself to catch up or make up for periods of illness have probably made me more ill. To make up for time off/poor results at uni to get a good grade overall, I worked myself ragged, staying at the library for days at a time and when weighed against my health it wasnt worth it.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've been anxious and not very well recently. The GP has given me anti-depressants but they're leaving me unmotivated and foggy.

Only a week and a bit until term ends but it's a real struggle to just get through the rest of term. I miss my pets and just want the term to be over so that I can focus on feeling a bit better.

I'm not sure what I can do to help my energy levels or focus enough to get uni work done.
Hardly slept but cant seem to get back to sleep. Tempted to go to tesco to get some food in before it gets stupidly busy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Getting so stressed over this university medical evidence thing, I really want to go back to uni but seeing as my doctors are unable to help me, it looks unlikely.
i literally despair. spoke to some woman at mitigation and she was absolutely horrible. apparently because there hasn't been a significant deterioration in my health, and this is a long term condition, I wont be getting mitigation. I literally ****ing despair. so people who typically have mild depression, but then go through a few days of moderate depression get more sympathy and arrangements and advantages than someone who suffers every single waking second of every day with moderate level depression and BPD. where is the logic in this? I don't even know what to do. its like they feel like I should be 'used' to it, or something. so now ive automatically failed 20% of my module. ffs.
Original post by ScaryScience
i literally despair. spoke to some woman at mitigation and she was absolutely horrible. apparently because there hasn't been a significant deterioration in my health, and this is a long term condition, I wont be getting mitigation. I literally ****ing despair. so people who typically have mild depression, but then go through a few days of moderate depression get more sympathy and arrangements and advantages than someone who suffers every single waking second of every day with moderate level depression and BPD. where is the logic in this? I don't even know what to do. its like they feel like I should be 'used' to it, or something. so now ive automatically failed 20% of my module. ffs.

Whatttt thats rediculous!

Unis should do it on a case by case basis! Urgh winds me up!
At my uni all we had to do for extenuating was write a bit sbout how were affected currently and ask for a sick note from a dr and we were pretty much guaranteed it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
Whatttt thats rediculous!

Unis should do it on a case by case basis! Urgh winds me up!
At my uni all we had to do for extenuating was write a bit sbout how were affected currently and ask for a sick note from a dr and we were pretty much guaranteed it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know! It's all a complete joke. At the end of the day I don't really see why it's a massive deal if it's a week late... I've still done the work despite feeling **** and still earned every mark! It's not like I'm asking them to increase my score or something. :frown:
I know! It's all a complete joke. At the end of the day I don't really see why it's a massive deal if it's a week late... I've still done the work despite feeling **** and still earned every mark! It's not like I'm asking them to increase my score or something. :frown:

Yeah unis are far too strict sometimes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it worth contacting your disability department to see if they can help you appeal against the decision?
Got another job interview! :woo:

Might be worth contacting someone from your student union as well as disability office. Plus your personal tutor, and anyone else you can think of who can cause trouble on your behalf. :tongue:
Original post by rmhumphries
Is it worth contacting your disability department to see if they can help you appeal against the decision?

mental illness doesn't come under our disability office. I have an appointment with wellbeing in 2 weeks so guess i'll bring it up then
Original post by superwolf
Got another job interview! :woo:

Might be worth contacting someone from your student union as well as disability office. Plus your personal tutor, and anyone else you can think of who can cause trouble on your behalf. :tongue:

not sure if anything would get done though cause on the form it has half a page full of underlined sentences about it not being for long term conditions. still think its utterly ridiculous though :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending