The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ScaryScience
not sure if anything would get done though cause on the form it has half a page full of underlined sentences about it not being for long term conditions. still think its utterly ridiculous though :frown:

Maybe go higher up then, to your head of year or higher?
I have a ridiculous relationship with money. I save and save, only spending money on the essentials, never treat myself, so I have over £10k saved up.

I want to learn to drive now that my anxiety is better, but I can't make myself give £300 for a block of lessons. It would annoy me to the extreme. I don't even know what I'm saving for!
Original post by superwolf
Maybe go higher up then, to your head of year or higher?

haven't got a clue who's higher up - highest up person I know is senior tutor and...well... they couldn't give a toss quite frankly. sigh.
TW ED

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous
I have a ridiculous relationship with money. I save and save, only spending money on the essentials, never treat myself, so I have over £10k saved up.

I want to learn to drive now that my anxiety is better, but I can't make myself give £300 for a block of lessons. It would annoy me to the extreme. I don't even know what I'm saving for!

I can totally relate to that. People think I'm tight with my money...I suppose I am. But I come from a poor family and was the youngest of 6 so I was always last in line for everything and had hand-me-downs so now I when I make money I keep it to myself like a squirrel with nuts and don't find it easy to break into it at all. I've been constantly saving for a 'rainy day' since I was about 11!

300 pounds is a big expense to be spending in one go. How many lessons is that? Is that for an automatic because it might be that you won't need that many.
:cry:
i literally despair. spoke to some woman at mitigation and she was absolutely horrible. apparently because there hasn't been a significant deterioration in my health, and this is a long term condition, I wont be getting mitigation. I literally ****ing despair. so people who typically have mild depression, but then go through a few days of moderate depression get more sympathy and arrangements and advantages than someone who suffers every single waking second of every day with moderate level depression and BPD. where is the logic in this? I don't even know what to do. its like they feel like I should be 'used' to it, or something. so now ive automatically failed 20% of my module. ffs.

That's absolute bolloclks! I don't blame you for being fuming. At my uni they give extensions out for absolutely nothing, I think I'm the only one out of my friendship group who hasn't ever had one. Definitely wouldn't let this drop :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've recently been diagnosed with anxiety and depression (I've also had it in the past) and my GP has signed me off for a month. This episode has been kicked off because I've had a lot of messing around on my PGCE; I was meant to start my placement in October but I started it late due to poor organisation of the course. My tutor is trying to get me to drop out because I had an observation that didn't go well and reckons I'm not going to pass in June. I'm not sure how to feel about this; part of me is sick of all the stress its caused me and another thinks its unfair as I don't believe I was given a fair chance. I think if Id started my placement when I was suppose to I would've been able to gain more experience. I am also really scared about whats going to happen between my boyfriend and I; we're semi long distance and I was hoping to get a job nearer him but I'm worried this won't happen.
I can totally relate to that. People think I'm tight with my money...I suppose I am. But I come from a poor family and was the youngest of 6 so I was always last in line for everything and had hand-me-downs so now I when I make money I keep it to myself like a squirrel with nuts and don't find it easy to break into it at all. I've been constantly saving for a 'rainy day' since I was about 11!

I was never poor growing up, but I still have this fear of not having any money - and I don't know where it's come from at all. When I say I have no money it means I have no money I want to spend, but thousands hidden away somewhere. When my friends say they have no money, they mean LITERALLY not a penny to put their hands on, and the thought of being like that really scares me!

Original post by Sabertooth
300 pounds is a big expense to be spending in one go. How many lessons is that? Is that for an automatic because it might be that you won't need that many.

Well it would be £250 for 10 lessons and £25 to book my theory test so I kind of rounded up.. then of course there's the test itself and the car hire on the day.. yep it's for automatic, but I'm having an hour's trial so I'm hoping he'll let me try lots of things/situations out to see how I cope with them. Then I will book my test (usually about a 6 week waiting time around here) and have some lessons in between. Maybe one a week or two if he thinks I need them. So that's a maximum. I just need to do it :P. I'm not taking lessons until I've done the theory test though so fingers crossed I pass that! Unless something serious goes wrong I can't see that I'd need any more than a few lessons for any other reason than my own ridiculous lack of confidence.
Original post by Anonymous #2
That's absolute bolloclks! I don't blame you for being fuming. At my uni they give extensions out for absolutely nothing, I think I'm the only one out of my friendship group who hasn't ever had one. Definitely wouldn't let this drop :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i knew people at uni that effectively got extensions for being lazy or for being on a long drinking bender. I think different unis will have differing policies but if you've been treated bad then kick up a fuss and make them set something right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Started on a new medication and feel great :smile:
Original post by Noodlzzz

PRSOM :grumble:

:biggrin:

Getting so stressed over this university medical evidence thing, I really want to go back to uni but seeing as my doctors are unable to help me, it looks unlikely.

:console:

i literally despair. spoke to some woman at mitigation and she was absolutely horrible. apparently because there hasn't been a significant deterioration in my health, and this is a long term condition, I wont be getting mitigation.

Yeah, that was pretty much what Oxford said to me about my Finals, when we were trying to sort out extenuating circumstances and informing examiners of my health, etc. What a *******s system, eh? SO unfair :frown:
Reply 2453
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Yeah, that was pretty much what Oxford said to me about my Finals, when we were trying to sort out extenuating circumstances and informing examiners of my health, etc. What a *******s system, eh? SO unfair :frown:

At my uni, I missed the exam for a course and not only did I get zero for the exam but I got given a zero for that module in total, even though the coursework I had submitted on time and got a good mark for would have contributed to nearly 30% overall.

I had to sit the exam and pass it during the resit sessions knowing I would still get zero towards my degree too.

To be fair, I didn't push the system too hard at the time but still, even if I had have just missed the exam by mistake the policy was harsh.
Ugh. Voices are back. Called my girlfriend at lunch because they were scaring me and she got me to phone my psych when I got home. Phoned him up and he was as nice as ever and all but put me back on Haloperidol. Just about to go out with my girlfriend and collect it. Was meant to be coming off meds, not going back on them :frown:

Awesome. :biggrin:

Original post by bullettheory
Ugh. Voices are back. Called my girlfriend at lunch because they were scaring me and she got me to phone my psych when I got home. Phoned him up and he was as nice as ever and all but put me back on Haloperidol. Just about to go out with my girlfriend and collect it. Was meant to be coming off meds, not going back on them :frown:

:hugs: Being on meds isn't a failure, and you shouldn't feel bad for needing them just now.
Ch-ch-ch-ch-checking in :biggrin:
Original post by Jay84
At my uni, I missed the exam for a course and not only did I get zero for the exam but I got given a zero for that module in total, even though the coursework I had submitted on time and got a good mark for would have contributed to nearly 30% overall.

I had to sit the exam and pass it during the resit sessions knowing I would still get zero towards my degree too.

To be fair, I didn't push the system too hard at the time but still, even if I had have just missed the exam by mistake the policy was harsh.

That is pretty harsh :eek: :console: :sadnod:

Huge hugs hun :jumphug:
god I just feel awful. want to not be me want to not be awake or in this head I cant keep holding on im sick of everything of the pain and the thoughts and the depression and the intensity of everything

**** YEAH! :five:

:hugs: That sucks but hopefully the haldol will help and perhaps you can try going no-meds again in the future.

Latest